Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are zinc lozenges okay?
#5 of 14 Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
zicam is fine!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#6 of 14 Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Uggggggh, I'm stuck at work with no access to emergen-c. I didn't think airborne was okay but it never hurts to ask! I remembered I had some peppermint tea hiding in my desk, though, so I'm nursing that.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#7 of 14 Old 12-11-2007, 12:01 AM

What's wrong with airborne? I just took it last week, 3 doses, I think.
#8 of 14 Old 12-11-2007, 11:14 AM

My midwife says airborne is ok as long as it isn't the nighttime one.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#9 of 14 Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2anna View Post
What's wrong with airborne?
I would guess it has something to do w/ the herbs that are in it (I think all the vitamins & minerals are okay)?
#10 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 AM

My OB's nurse said 'NO way' to Airborne. Said you can OD on vitamin A and C. Am very concerned now because I'm 19 weeks pregnant, took Airborne 2 weeks ago 3x for 1 day, and it kicked an on coming cold. Started getting another cold 2 days ago, and accidentally took it 4 times in one day (only supposed to take it 3x) and late couldn't sleep so I took Acetaminaphene (tylenol) for pain and sleep! Hoping and PRAYING for no longterm or permanent affects on BABY! Didn't call the Doc till after I did this. Thought it would be safe!

Found good info on wikipedia site about Airborne and pregnancy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborn...ary_supplement)

Airborne (dietary supplement)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Airborne is a dietary supplement and health formula which is claimed to help ward off harmful bacteria and germs, and help prevent the flu and the common cold. The formula contains herbal extracts, amino acids, antioxidants, electrolytes, vitamins, and other nutrients, and can be purchased in many U.S. retail stores over-the-counter in three different forms: a tablet which can be taken orally or dissolved in water, a chewable "Gummi" lozenge, or a concentrate powder….

Pregnant women are advised to exercise extreme caution regarding Airborne consumption. Excess preformed vitamin A during early pregnancy has been associated with a significant increase in life-threatening birth defects. Vitamin A is indeed necessary for fetal development, but most women already carry stores of it in their fat cells. Researchers recommend that pregnant women either restrict their supplemental consumption of vitamin A to 4,000 - 8,000 IUs daily, or they should instead consume beta carotene.[7]…

Supplement facts and ingredients
Following are the supplement facts of the original Airborne tablet. Though the ingredients of other versions of Airborne vary slightly to produce different flavors and functions, all of what would be considered the active ingredients of the formula are included below.
•Calories: 5
•Sodium: 230mg
•Total Carbohydrates 0g
•Sugars 0g
•Protein 0g
•Vitamin A (Palmitate) 2,000 IUs
•Vitamin C 1,000mg
•Vitamin E (Acetate) 30 IUs
•Riboflavin 2.8mg
•Magnesium (Oxide & Sulfate) 40mg
•Zinc (Sulfate) 8mg
•Selenium (Amino Acid Chelate) 15mcg
•Manganese (Gluconate) 3mg
•Potassium 75mg
•Amino Acids (Glutamine as L-Glutamine, Lysine as L-Lysine HCl) 50mg
•Proprietary Blend 350mg: Maltodextrin, Lonicera, Forsythia, Schizonepeta, Ginger, Chinese Vitex, Isatis Root, Echinacea
#11 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 12:29 PM

Your OB's nurse is talking out of her hoo-hah. While you can overdose on vitamin A you cannot overdose on vitamin C. Vitamin C is water-soluble and any extra will just get peed out of your body. But she is right that airborne isn't really a very good thing to take during pregnancy.

Then again neither is emergen-c. It has a lot of other stuff in it besides zinc and vitamin c that a pregnant woman could overdose on. And you can overdose on zinc too.

Just take plain old vitamin C tablets every day, whether you are sick or not. It will help make a strong amniotic sac and help you pass a GBS test.

And take a probiotic too. I use Florajen and give my 3 yr old DS a powdered probiotic. We have both been much healthier this winter than my DH who pooh-poohs our vitamin C and probiotics.
#12 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM

FYI when I took EmergenC I did not take my prenatals per my midwife.
#13 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Just because vitamin C is water soluble and your body can excrete excess, does not mean it can not cause problems. I am sure a couple doses during a cold will not hurt you or your unborn baby, but it could do damage if taken on a regular basis.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/436300-excessive-vitamin-c-in-early-pregnancy/

#14 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I know this thread is old but I figured I woukd chime in as well since it might be of help to someone else. The reason its so easy to catch colds and get sick while pregnant is because your immune system naturally lowers in pregnancy to keep from attacking the baby who is technically a foreign invader. So, to take a bunch if vit c is going to kick your immune system back into high gear. Thus running the risk of miscarriage. I have heard of accounts where this has happened. I almost took a nice large dose of vit c while pg with my last and figured the excess would just be rid as usual but did a little research first, and this was what ended up as the consesus...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page