What to Do About Uterine Irritability? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,
This is my first post! I'm 22.5 weeks pregnant - its a girl!

So yesterday I had this dull ache in my lower right pelvis region. I assumed it was round ligament pain (this is my 2nd pregnancy so I try not to freak out over every little ache or pain). Anyway, I woke up this morning and the pain was higher and moving to my middle. So I round up hubby and and my 3 yr old and we head to Labor & Delivery. I wasn't really worried but I thought better safe than sorry.

They hooked me up to the machines to monitor me and the baby--and turns out I was having contractions!! After a catheter to check for UTI, an IV, and blood work (oh and the 4 finger cervix check!), they sent me home and told me I was having some uterine irritability and to take it easy and drink TONS of water.

My son was born at 35.5 weeks and I recall them saying something about uterine irritability during my last pregnancy but didn't really understand it.

Now I've been home for 7 hours and I still have this pain. Its mild and they said I wasn't dilated and the cervix was closed. But what do I do now? I've read about progesterone and would love to try it. I mentioned this to my CNM when I went in for my last appt but she said that they generally prescribe for women at high risk--and at the time I wasn't experiencing any problems.

My question is, is this something I should demand they give me, or can I take it on my own? I really feel uncomfortable taking something w/o the dr's supervision but I feel like I need to take matters into my hands to avoid a preterm labor. Any advice? Sorry this is so long....
#2 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 01:16 AM

Progesterone in what form, like a cream? They sell progesterone cream at hi health, if that helps. Other than that, I'm not sure on this one.
#3 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 AM

The progesterone you would need at this point is by rx only because it is an intramuscular injection. I'm not aware of an alternative form. Your body makes several different kinds of progesterone and the progesterone that is used early in pregnancy is different from the kind you would need to help with preterm labor symptoms. You would have to speak with your midwife, however, unless you're willing to be categorized high risk, I don't think that they'll consider giving it to you. It's not something that they like to use and I think that you'd have to see an OB's office for it (not sure on that though).

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#4 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM

After they got my preterm labor under control (a weeks stay at the local teaching hospital - mag sulfate, etc.) and I was back home, my MW had me taking Wild Yam Root tincture sublingually to control any recurring contractions. It REALLY helped. If I felt more than two or three contractions in an hour, I would take some of the tincture and they would stop almost immediately. I carried to 37+4, and my babe was a healthy 8lb11oz.

I know that Susun Weed also recommends Wild Yam for threatened miscarriage.... Might be something to bring up with your midwife.

HTH! mama!
#5 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 AM

I've had some success with homoeopathic pulsatilla for uterine irritability as well.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 PM

I have found that when I am feeling lots of irritablity or BH raspberry leaf tea really helps everything settle down. But, I also know that some women have the other experience that it causes stronger BH. It is possibly something to discuss with your MWs, but I find RRL to be very helpful for mine. Good luck!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page