Mothering Forum banner

my friend stella told off her sOB, you gotta check this out

2K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  lilyka 
#1 ·
#28 ·
I am never exactly sure what people are trying to accomplish when they respond to someone with that particular emoticon.. and nothing else.

It certainly doesn't encourage dialog... and it doesn't inspire much kindness in the recipient.

But... whatever. I can use them too:

I am not too stupid to understand what is being said here.. I am not a brick wall, thank you so much.
I simply disagree. And I have as much right to my opinion as anyone else.

#29 ·
Sorry, I guess I'm just getting a little frustrated. I've already responded to all of these arguments. It doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere. I just posted what I was feeling. I didn't know what else I could say that would do any good. I give up.

I was not implying that you were the brick wall.

#30 ·
Just to throw a little salt into the wound...

Maybe women wouldn't feel like they have to be "sneaky" with the medical "establishment" if dr's (especially obgyns) at large gave women respect for being intelligent people who are perfectly capable of making their own decisions about what does and does not need to be done to their bodies.

I know for me, when I know somebody (usually a conventional thinker of some kind like a Dr. or a mechanic) is going to give me a hard time, I go in defensive and spend a lot of energy protecting myself. It might not be fair to that particular individual, but it's pretty natural - and I do always give that individual a fair chance to prove me wrong. Usually I'm not. And I doubt that the Dr. (or mechanic, as the case may be), no matter how open minded THEY are, are out there speaking out on my behalf to their less-enlightened colleagues. We DO have to look after ourselves and challenge the thinking of the "establishment" if we want things to change.

rant rant rant.

Robin

#31 ·
I think the Dr. brought on his rude treatment himself. She had had the tests done and had them in her chart. regardless of if she on;ly wanted to see hiim once or if she wanted to see him tthrought the entire pregnancy there was no reason for her to repeat these tests. she had every right to refuse and she wasn't rude until they started treating her like an object.

When I went nto my first appount with my midwife the nurse began setting up for a pap. i said no thank you. Angie said OK and left the room. Lisa, my midwife, came in and we discussed the pros and cons of having a pap at this time, we went over the instruments she used and exactly what she would be doing down there, she told me her procedures and let me choiose if I wanted to watch, all this with my close on and then I made a descission. Yes or no would have been equally respected. as my health care provider she advised me in awhat she thought was a wise choice and then left me to decide. Is that really so hard. yet some people have such problems with it. Some women think that if thier Dr. dares to persuade them they are evil. It is thier job to offer us thier medical opinions. OK . some Dr. think that if women refuse a test then we are evil. it is our right to do what we want with our bodies even if it is a horrible choice (I don't think Stella was making any horrible choices).

Stella should have been able to pick a back up Dr without being forced to submit to any invasve tests. granted if you are going to go in as a patent just to have insurance cover you you need to accept some sort of care (doppler, measuing etc. . routien stuff) but on the other side of that coin if the Dr, feels you aren't fitting in with his sort of practice he has the right to refuse treatment. I don't think Stella was "using" the Dr. she needed a physisians OK to get an ultrasound. fine. its thier rules. not hers.She goes in for a listen and a measure and an ultrasound. no big. there was no reason for the games the nurse played (the Dr. should have come right in) and there was no reason for them to insist on test already done. quite honestly I would have said screw the ultrasound and left much earlier, but then I would never have even made an appointment without finding someone I actually liked and felt respected by.,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.