Bad Sore throat and very pregnant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also posted this in Health and Healing but I am desperate for an answer and it's late at night so I am cross-posting here

It's the middle of the night here and I am up with such a bad sore throat. I am 39weeks pregnant (due Saturday) and I am looking for something, anything that will help. I've used slippery elm lozenges and attempted to gargle with salt water but I am not a good gargler and neither helped much. Any ideas? I am looking at cures online with Apple cider vinegar but not sure...UGH. I started out with cold symptoms on Friday and still have the runny nose and cough -- I've tried pulsatilla most of the day today and they seem to be getting a bit better -- but my throat is really unbearable.

Also, I feel like I need to call the doctor in the morning if I can't get any relief because I am miserable but what is the downside to using antibiotics this late or at all in pregnancy. I don't want to give birth this sick because I feel miserable. Thanks for listening!!
#2 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 10:42 AM

Ug. Hope you feel better soon. I would try cutting out dairy for a little while and eating a bunch of garlic (or take tabs) and fresh fruit. HTH.
And congratulations on baby!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#3 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 12:24 PM

I am so sorry! I would try to rest a lot, drink a ton of broth type stuff and take extra vit C. I would also call to see if there is anything you could do!
HUGS I hope it goes away soon!
#4 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Throat coat tea helps alot. Also, anytime you suspect an infection, you can eat raw garlic. My midwife suggested making toast w/ butter and spreading crushed raw garlic on it. It's actually really good (and HOT!) but it will clear out your sinuses and help fight any infection.
#5 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I had a very sore throat and did take amoxicillin and felt better in a day. I was only 16 weeks, though, so I don't know if it is different if you are 39 weeks. My throat was so sore that I literally couldn't swallow my own spit, and I had little white spots all over my tonsils.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#6 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 12:53 PM

My midwife made me a tincture with echinacea and clove oil. The clove oil did wonders to numb my throat.

I would personally take the antibiotics if I were that close to labor and needed them. I would rather boost up on probotics than try and deliver while feeling miserable! I know there are some antibiotics that are considered relatively safe in pregnancy.

Good luck!

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#7 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 12:59 PM

Im in the same boat but im 27 weeks pregnant. I went to a doctor a couple weeks ago and he said it was strep and gave me amox. My throat stopped hurting for a while and now it's back with a vengeance. Ive tried everything!!!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#8 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I actually did manage to get back to sleep after I posted and while it is still sore it is nowhere near as bad as it was in the middle of the night. I am seeing my midwife today so I will share your suggestions and see what we come up with. Thanks, mamas!
#9 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmomazon View Post
My midwife made me a tincture with echinacea and clove oil. The clove oil did wonders to numb my throat.

I would personally take the antibiotics if I were that close to labor and needed them. I would rather boost up on probotics than try and deliver while feeling miserable! I know there are some antibiotics that are considered relatively safe in pregnancy.

Good luck!
Most sore throats are viral and antibiotics won't help them. The main exception is strep throat, which is what Galatea's sore throat sounds like, with the white spots and the inability to swallow.

Echinacea is safe during pregnancy and there is a good herbal tea, echinacea and elderberry. You can also take echinacea tincture and elderberry syrup (Sambucol.) Do you have a runny nose at all? Often post nasal drip can cause a sore throat.
#10 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 05:09 PM

Raw garlic. Chew on cloves. Raw garlic.

I like to cut garlic into splinters and swollow it, but with a sore throat this might be out. You could use a garlic press and press it into a small glass of water and down it in one gulp.

I also found out something last night (tummy ache) that would be good for your immune system, make ginger tea but instead of grate it, use a garlic press. You get this lovely yellow liquid without any pulpy bits. I made some tea, but when I have a sore tummy hot liquids are hard to drink, so I pressed some into a small glass of water and drank it cold. Felt much better!

HTH

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#11 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Throat coat tea helps alot. Also, anytime you suspect an infection, you can eat raw garlic. My midwife suggested making toast w/ butter and spreading crushed raw garlic on it. It's actually really good (and HOT!) but it will clear out your sinuses and help fight any infection.
I considered throat coat tea but it says the plants in it are not recommended for pregnancy. Do you know anything about that..

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#12 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Most sore throats are viral and antibiotics won't help them. Do you have a runny nose at all? Often post nasal drip can cause a sore throat.

My midwife agreed that usually sore throats are viral. Yes, I have a runny nose and cough. The pulsatilla seemed to help that but now it's back I have been sick so much this pregnancy!! UGH! Good thing it will be worth it in the end
#13 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 PM

If it's any help, your sickness now is going to protect your new little one- all those lovely antibodies running around in your bloodstream and breastmilk. I'd make a real effort to keep drinking, and to go read up on homoeopathic remedies- if pulsatilla is helping but not totally, I think you're on the right lines, wrong remedy.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#14 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Flapjack. I agree that the remedy is not exactly what I need. My friend has a better book than I do so I will be calling on her wisdom I am glad the baby is getting immunities -- lots of them for this little one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page