Taking Reglan while pregnant and breastfeeding Help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-24-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to a new midwife today and told her that I was concerned about nursing my 7 month old while pregnant because it seems like my supply is decreasing. First, she told me to drink Mother's Milk tea, to which I promptly responded that it has Fenungreek and is not safe to take during pregnancy. Then she wrote me a prescription for Reglan and said that it should help increase my supply. I have been reading about Reglan and some of the side effect include depression and drowsiness. I am trying to weigh the benefit of increased milk for my little one and my well-being to try to figure out if I should try it or not. I am inclined to think that I would rather supplement with some formula than take the risks associated with Reglan. Has anyone ever had any experiences with it or have any advice???

I am X-posting this in Breastfeeding Challenges

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#2 of 13 Old 12-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Some women safely use More Milk Two (meant for pregnancy use) but most women find nothing helps.

Reglan is SAFE in PG (used for severe morning sickness) but it likely won't work because no galactogogues do for the most part. The body is resetting the "lactogenesis" cycle.
#3 of 13 Old 12-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
Some women safely use More Milk Two (meant for pregnancy use) but most women find nothing helps.

Reglan is SAFE in PG (used for severe morning sickness) but it likely won't work because no galactogogues do for the most part. The body is resetting the "lactogenesis" cycle.
I just wanted to say that i took domperidone (similar to reglan but fewer side effects) to increase my supply when I was having issues. my supply doubled. I wasn't pregnant though so I don't know if that matters. Before that, I used fenugreek with some success, but my body quickly got used to it and the domperidone was necessary.
#4 of 13 Old 12-24-2007, 09:15 PM

it does matter, sadly! the body doesn't respond to herbs OR meds when pregnant because it's in the process of resetting.

Domperidone is WAY better than reglan, fwiw!
#5 of 13 Old 12-25-2007, 02:56 PM

I wanted to add this about reglan: I get Hyperemesis Gravidarum when I'm pregnant. During this last pregnancy I was hospitalized twice. One of the times they gave me Reglan.

If you have an anxiety disorder (mine is currently undiagnosed) Reglan is NOT GOOD. It will make you go bonkers. I was about to check myself out of the hospital AMA (and against my own logic!) and was trying to figure out how to get the IV out of my arm. It was bizarre.

So I'd avoid it for myself.

Keep up with the nursing. My sil successfully nursed through her pregnancies, too. I hope you can find a solution.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#6 of 13 Old 12-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Ditto NatureMama3. Absolutely avoid Reglan (frightening side effects); but other galactagogues are also unlikely to do much good. The only thing I would consider trying is the More Milk Two from Motherlove herbals that someone else mentioned.

Have you read Adventures in Tandem Nursing? This is a wonderful, informative book, and discusses situations like yours, in which a baby is quite young when mama becomes pregnant again. It's an LLL book, so most LLL groups have a copy available to borrow.

Good luck!

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#7 of 13 Old 12-25-2007, 09:58 PM

I took Reglan and had horrible side effects including severe depression and anxiety. You should not use Reglan for long periods of time either. Be very careful with this medication.
#8 of 13 Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 PM

i took reglan for hyperemesis also. It was awful! My fun little side affect was BLINDNESS!!! I could see light and dark and thats about it. It was the strangest thing. I would try other things first.
#9 of 13 Old 12-26-2007, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeospero View Post
Ditto NatureMama3. Absolutely avoid Reglan (frightening side effects); but other galactagogues are also unlikely to do much good. The only thing I would consider trying is the More Milk Two from Motherlove herbals that someone else mentioned.

Have you read Adventures in Tandem Nursing? This is a wonderful, informative book, and discusses situations like yours, in which a baby is quite young when mama becomes pregnant again. It's an LLL book, so most LLL groups have a copy available to borrow.

Good luck!
Thanks, I just got it in the mail the other day and have started reading it. Great Book!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo View Post
I took Reglan and had horrible side effects including severe depression and anxiety. You should not use Reglan for long periods of time either. Be very careful with this medication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyeta View Post
i took reglan for hyperemesis also. It was awful! My fun little side affect was BLINDNESS!!! I could see light and dark and thats about it. It was the strangest thing. I would try other things first.
OMG!!! I can't believe this crazy midwife prescribed it to especially in my current situation. I am in a small town with my husband for a few months, I sit home with our baby all day and I don't know anybody...so she prescibes me a drug that could make me really depressed...wonderful!!!

#10 of 13 Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyeta View Post
: My God. One more reason not to allow that anywhere near me!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#11 of 13 Old 12-26-2007, 03:14 AM

Everybody reacts differently... Personally I hate it but its what helps with my milk supply when not pregnant.. If you want to take it and see how you react I say go for it but those other ladies are right that it probably wouldnt work when you are pregnant..

The side effects for me was moodiness, despression and exhaustion.
#12 of 13 Old 12-26-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
Everybody reacts differently... Personally I hate it but its what helps with my milk supply when not pregnant.. If you want to take it and see how you react I say go for it but those other ladies are right that it probably wouldnt work when you are pregnant..

The side effects for me was moodiness, despression and exhaustion.
ya, I think I'm gonna pass...it is not worth it to me to experience those kinds of side effects, especially while pregnant trying to enjoy my lo.

Thanks for all of your help, ladies.

#13 of 13 Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM

I agree that Domperidone is a much safer alternative to Reglan, especially in terms of psych effects. Specifically for pregnancy, there is very little data whether it's good or bad. Dr. Hale does not list any risk category for it during pregnancy, but Domperidone is considered an L1 safetest category for breastfeeding.

This is from the manufacturer's data safety sheet. Though it sounds : this is actually a very mild warning.

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Dat...otiliumtab.htm

Quote:
Use in Pregnancy

There are limited post-marketing data on the use of domperidone in pregnant women. A study in rats has shown reproductive toxicity at a high, maternally toxic dose. The potential for humans is unknown. Therefore, MOTILIUM should only be used during pregnancy when justified by the anticipated therapeutic benefit.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page