Mothering Forum banner

Pubic symphysis pain

2K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Matilda_z 
#1 ·
How to treat it? I am only halfway through my pregnancy and can barely walk. I already know not to scissor my legs with any force.

#2 ·
Mine was really bad, too. The only things that helped me were making sure I kept my legs together as much as possible, including keeping my knees together when I got out of bed, stood up, rolled over etc. And making sure I was seated to get dressed as well - I found actually picking my leg up off the floor (using my hand) to put a sock on etc relieved the pain a little; I couldn't even lift my legs at times.

I hope it gets better for you, mama. Mine was the worst around 23 weeks and then I did get a bit of a break for a while, though the pain wasn't completely gone.

I really hope someone can chime in here with some real advice for you; I'm subbing for this pg!

#7 ·
I have the pain but mine is mild. I decided to go to chiro. I have only been once so far but go back next week. I am hoping it helps. ALso I notice if I overdo it for a day its worse... like today. like cleaning, taking down tree, lights, etc.

#8 ·
I had it with my first and didn't really find any relief until after my son was born, as we couldn't afford chiro visits or prenatal massages, which I've read that both can help. I was hoping to escape it this time, but no such luck.....it's really kicked in over the past couple of days. Thankfully, finances are not as tight this time around and I'll be calling a chiro tomorrow, since it's really affecting my ability to care for my son and I also think it played a part in why I never progressed past 6cm with my son and ended up having to have a c/s. So I definitely agree with the "get thee to a chiro" sentiment!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
GO to the chiropractor. It will help a LOT!
I agree 100%! I had it REALLY bad with #4 going to the chiro made it so much better! When I first felt pangs with #5 I started going right away and it never got bad at all.

#13 ·
Maybe y'all can help - for the past 2 months or so, I've been having pain that I'm not sure exactly what it is. I'm guessing either round ligament or PS, but not sure if it's either. It starts near the bottom right of my uterus, and shoots down into the vulval area. I can feel it as almost a defined line of pain. Activity generally exacerbates it; particularly x-country skiing, sex, and lunges. If it's already a bit sore, then even mild hiking exacerbates. An ice pack to the crotch seems to help, as does rest.

At first, I thought it might be an inconveniently-located varicose vein, but nothing is visible. Entire down-below area is relatively swollen, but I gather that's pretty normal and not necessarily related.

What do you think? PS? RL?

#14 ·
slgt, what makes it worse? AND how does it feel if you lift the weight of your belly?

Galatea, get professional help now. Not to scaremonger, but severe SPD has landed people in wheelchairs for the duration of their lives. Some things you can try:
1) Sleep. Sleep lots, and sleep lots with a pillow not only between your knees but your ankles as well. (The lots bit won't help your pelvis, btw, but every pregnant woman should have that option.)
2) Get a birth ball and sit on it. Inflate it quite firmly so that your pelvis is higher than your knees. More comfy than a chair, sometimes, IME.
3) No lifting/twisting movements whatsoever. Don't hoover. No shopping trolleys, try not to push the little ones in the pushchair. Be incredibly cautious when picking up and moving your LOs, and diaper changes are probably going to get interesting. Take whatever help you need from your family- because one day of pushing yourself too hard could be a week of being unable to get off your left side with said pillow between your knees.

That said, I've had pelvic pain with three of my pregnancies now. With Isaac, I had problems with my front joint and he was born with shoulder dystocia- the SPD may have saved his life. Skye was born with a nuchal hand, pushing outwards on the joint that gave me most difficulties (back left sacro-iliac.) And this one? Well, only time will tell, but I reckon he's a big lad, and a potential scrum-half. I've also found that life got a lot more comfortable once baby went head down and engaged. There's hope, there really is.

#16 ·
This isn't something that I have dealt with personally, but I have a friend on another board who found that Manganese really helped her. I will do a copy paste from what she said:

Quote:
For pelvic floor pain:
Manganese 10-25 mg per day.
She (her midwife) said you can find it both just as Manganese, or as a supplement of trace minerals (zinc, magnesium, and manganese). She said that the women who had this pain noticed a difference within a week, and if not then they upped the dosage a bit. She said that she hasn't had many women need to take larger doses, and not over 50 mg/day. I did read some on the internet about getting toxic amounts of manganese, but from what I could see, and what she felt was also the case, is that getting toxic amounts resulted from environmental hazards, such as welding and inhaling the fumes which contained manganese. I just typed in manganese, and found some info...it didn't mention that it specifically helps pelvic floor pain, but it did mention some other helps. I would just start with the lowest dosage, and go from there, being careful not to take in too much. And maybe it won't work for every woman, so I wouldn't just keep upping it hoping to see results. She said you can get up to 60mg/day over the counter, without a presciption. (but hadn't needed her patients to take that much)
She also told me that it is the combination of Calcium and Magnesium that help with cramping and blood loss after birth. She said it should be in a 2 to 1 ratio (calcium 2, magnesium 1) and she recommended between 500-1000 mg Calcium and 250-500 mg Magnesium. I forgot to ask her about what she wrote down for me, but this is what I can read from what she wrote...calcium citrate lactate, amino something ( I think it is Amino Acid Chelate, for the manganese, zinc and copper, what it comes from)....? I am taking a brand called NOW. On the front of the bottle, it says, Calcium Citrate Plus Magnesium, Zinc, Copper, & Manganese. On the back, it says to take 2 tablets 1-2 times daily, with meals. These also have vit. D. The amount of manganese in 2 tablets is 5 mg. and I try to take up to 4 a day. I definitely notice when I don't take the pills, even if I just miss 1-2 days. I noticed a difference within a week, so I would say you are not too late to start trying it, as I see your due date is after mine. If I forget to take some, I start noticing more discomfort, and start taking them again, and am better within a day or so.
Hope this helps some of you!

#18 ·
When I was pregnant with my daughter I had pretty severe SPD. I couldn't get out of bed, put shoes on, walk, my husband had to help me and it was so painful. After I went to the chiro, I had almost immediate relief. I was able to do most things without pain and I contribute my largely easy birth to chiropractic care.

I love my chiropractor. Try to find some one experienced in perinatal chiropractic care. There is a website of practitioners. I can't remember the site... I am sure someone can chime it with it...

#20 ·
Since we all have some experience with chiros in this are I have a question. Does your chiro adjust you in the front - the actual pubic bone or just adjust the pelvis from the back?

The reason I ask is - I've seen 2 chiros during preg. The first, adjusted front and back. He was amazing. I swear he was intuitive - he had a gift. I always got total relief. Now I'm with a diff. chiro (we moved) and he only does the back. I'm getting relief but not total relief. I'm not sure what the deal is. Adjusting my pelvis makes everything feel alot better but there's always a little feeling left in front and I think it keeps the pelvis from staying in place. When I went in for my consultation I told him how my last chiro dealt with it (front adjustment) and he just said we'd try different things until we got it right. Well, I've been adjusted 3 times and the pubic bone pain is still there - just a little - but still there.

So, front and back or just back adjustment for you?

Thanks,
April

#23 ·
I went to a Doctor of Osteopathy and found that osteopathic maniupalitive therapy helped a ton! With my first pregnancy the pain started at 14 weeks, by the middle of my pregnancy I popped with just about every step and it didn't go away until my son was about 18 months old. I'm dreading it with this pregnancy.

Here are a few things you can try at home. As mentioned before sleep with a pillow between your knees, calves and feet. I tried this with a regular pillow and found no relief. When I tried it with a very thin pillow it worked wonders! When rolling over in bed I hold the pillow with my legs and move around like I just have one leg - weird but you'll get used to it after a while.

Sit as evenly as you can whenever you sit down. Don't lean to one side.

A bit of home therapy my dh helped me with every day so that I could walk:

Lay down on your back with your knees bent. Put your feet together and your knees together. Have a partner stand with his/herlegs on either side of your knees (it lined up best for us when dh would put his knees outside of mine). Then press your knees outward (your partner's knees provide a gentle counterpressure) and hold for five to ten seconds. Repeat three times.

Then, spread your legs so that your partner can put his/her legs between yours (again, it worked pretty well if dh lined his knees up with mine). Place your knees against his/her legs and then gently squeeze for five to ten seconds. Repeat three times.

I used to get such relief from doing this because it really lines up the pelvic bone.

Best wishes!

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sing4jy View Post
This isn't something that I have dealt with personally, but I have a friend on another board who found that Manganese really helped her. I will do a copy paste from what she said:

Hope this helps some of you!
I'm going to run to the store in just a little bit and pick some of those up, so we'll see! And woohoo, I have my first chiro appointment on Tuesday!

#25 ·
I have also read a lot of recommendations for a chiro and flax oil/seeds.

I have many of the signs of SPD except the pain is more on my hip rather than my pelvis/inside of legs. I have had a lot luck with increasing exercise (not anything too much like a walk around the block) and belly dance. Doing belly dance a few times per week for 20 minutes has made the pain go away completely for me (though my joints still crack).

There is another thread on SPD recently (either on I'm Pregnancy or Birth and Beyond) that lists a link to a plus size pregnancy site that has a lot of info in SPD - including better outcomes for moderate activity versus bedrest. It also talked about chiro, acupuncture and other remedies. Hopefully someone else has the link...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.