Any successful pregnancies with late ovulation? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 AM
JBH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had a few miscarriages and one healthy pregnancy.
The last 2 miscarriages I had ovulated on day 22 or later.
They were early miscarriages around 6 weeks. With my daughter I ovulated on day 18, but that isnt considered late. I was taking Vitex, Red Raspberry leaf tea and Vit B50 for a few months before I conceived her. I also have ovarian cysts which I believe interfered with my cycle the last 2 times.
Its weird, my body goes through this period about once a year where I get cysts and my cycles get all screwed up.
I had blood tests (didnt have thyroid checked though) and everything was normal.
My intuition tells me it is a result of late ovulation.
#32 of 48 Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I used to O around day 21 or 23, but I had a 12 day luteal phase, which was fine to support pregnancies. Both of my first two children (which were conceived easily) were "late O" in that manner.

But for #3, I had a bit more trouble. My cycles were all over the map from wonky hormones. I finally started taking Vitex. The first cycle I saw no difference at all. The second cycle I O'd on CD 17 (!!!) and had a 13 day luteal phase instead of my standard 12 day. I didn't get preg that cycle, but then the next cycle, I O'd on CD 15 or 16 (FF says 16, and that's the last day of fertile CM, but the lowest part of my temp shift started CD 15). For once, I'm pregnant with a due date that somewhat resembles my LMP-based date.

For Vitex amounts... I think I was only taking one capsule the first cycle, then upped it to 3 a day for the 2nd and 3rd cycles, but bumped it down to 2 after I O'd. I'm still taking 2 a day right now (almost 8 weeks preg), and I plan to continue that level.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#33 of 48 Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM

I don't have any advice to offer-just my experience with getting pregnant this time. I am currently 5 months pregnant.

I had cycles that were 34-44 days long, but regardless of their lenght the luteul phase was consistantly 8-9 days. I knew from TCOYF that this was too short for fertility, and added to my somewhat dry mucous- at most I was getting creamy at ovulation, I thought that I was temporarily infertile- I was breastfeeding a 1 yr old. Imagine my surprise when my luteul phase of one cycle stretched to 14 and 15 days long with no temp drop! Sure enough- I was pregnant!

So it seems against all odds, my body found a way to get pregnant with a 'too short' luteul phase and minimal cervical fluid, as well as an extra long cycle (which doesn't really make a difference).

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#34 of 48 Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Me!

Here is the chart for my current pregnancy. I ovulated on cd 34 and got pregnant. It was my first cycle on progesterone supps for LPD though.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/12942c

I was also taking soy isoflanes (sp?) and false unicorn root this cycle (and the 3 cycles before this one w/o progesterone and no pregnancy).
#35 of 48 Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM

This post is nearly a year old, FYI. Looks like the OP is actually pregnant.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#36 of 48 Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM

After my missed miscarriage, I had longer cycles. I'm now 21 weeks pregnant with a baby conceived on CD 23. Good luck to you in finding answers!
#37 of 48 Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
This post is nearly a year old, FYI. Looks like the OP is actually pregnant.
Yup! I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with a thriving baby boy. After 3 miscarriages (2 of which all followed late ovulation and unsuccessful attempts at progesterone supplementation, vitex, acupuncture, and soy isoflavones), this pregnancy stuck! Interestingly, I did take clomid during this cycle but it did nothing to up my ovulation date (we conceived this little guy on CD 30!) and was deemed by my RE as "ineffective" at that dose. I have to wonder if it might have adjusted my hormone levels just enough... Whatever happened, we are counting our blessings. Miracles do happen.

Best wishes to those of you on this journey.

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#38 of 48 Old 11-04-2008, 10:24 AM

I agree, do more testing before jumping into a treatment, especially if you're in a hurry. Sounds like your LP might be more of a problem. Your RE sounds like she's trying to fit you into standard cycle plan rather than take the time to diagnose fully. My first RE did that, giving me a preprinted plan and long list of medications - clomid, both estrogen and progesterone, hgc shots through LP, an IUI on the first cycle, and I think 5 blood draws. I questioned the need to be so agressive right away. DH had an off the charts great SA, so why did we need a IUI? She had never done a progesterone test post O (or even induced an O yet) so how did she know I needed it? When I asked all this, she said it was standard and I was rushed out the door. Anyway, I switched REs to one that let me pick what I wanted to do.

First cycle I did just clomid, had ultrasounds on day 12 and 14 that showed no follicles, and was waiting out the month to restart prometrium. Then what do you know, I had a temp shift on cd30 (charting is so awesome), the day I was supposed to start the progesterone to bring on a period. First egg in 6 months is now a kicking baby.

Where's JSMa? She was another cd100 something pregnancy. That was exciting.

mom to DD 3/09
#39 of 48 Old 11-04-2008, 01:39 PM

This is a little OT, but I ovulate a little late (with my first successful pg I was having 45-60 day cycles, and did take clomid for 2 cycles), and with my second successful pg, I was taking Fertility Blend and Papaya enzyme to make conditions more "friendly"- it worked!
almost 34 weeks into pg 4 (baby 3), and My cycle was about 35 days, with o about day 20, I think. hth!
#40 of 48 Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 AM

I've had some mild luteal phase shortness and usually O around CD 17-19. I had no trouble getting pg and gestating #1. This time around, I needed a little something more. I read "Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition" by Marilyn Shannon, took her advice (started taking higher amounts of certain vitamins), and well, here I am, pg with #2! So, if you are uncomfortable with taking clomid and want to try something more natural, I'd see if you can get a copy of FCN and try following her advice.

Whoops! I guess you're all set now! Glad to hear you are having a baby! : )
#41 of 48 Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 AM

I am just about assuming that is what is happening with me. My LMP was 9/2/08. I don't remember having a period at the beginning of October...but apparently I'm 4 weeks pregnant. 4. Not the 9 i thought I was. lol

Don't know much else about it... t'was quite a shock this morning at the sono.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#42 of 48 Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 AM

I've gotten pregnant 4 times ovulating at day 20/21. Those four pregnancies resulted in 4 full-term, healthy babies.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#43 of 48 Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM

I have late O too. About CD 20-23 ish. I also had a short lunal phase. I took vitex to help with O, but what helped most i think was i took like 200mil of B6 to lenghthen the lunal phase. It worked, went from 8 days to 12 days and i got preggo. Currently 13 weeks.

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#44 of 48 Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have always had irregular cycles, yet conceived easily. When I was concerned about a too-short luteal phase due to a nursing toddler while TTC, I used progesterone cream to keep my levels high enough to sustain a pregnancy.

As long as your luteal phase is at least 12 days, a fertilized egg should do just fine.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#45 of 48 Old 11-06-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
So, if I am not Oing until this late (now that I think of it, that happened with my first m/c) AND I have a luteal phase problem, does that mean that both Clomid and progesterone are in order? (If it turns out that I am not responding to holistic methods?)
I'm not sure why you would need the Clomid. I took progesterone for a short luteal phase and it worked on the first try.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#46 of 48 Old 03-27-2014, 10:40 AM

i had a question for all the ladies who replied with suggestions. i am also trying to get pregnant and noticed that on day 22 after periods, the ovulation detector showed the darkest line which means i ovulate very late too. my OBGYN is not helping me all all, no inputs, no suggestions. she just says keep trying and i am getting very anxious and impatient. i had a miscarriage in jan. i wanted to know for you all how you took vitex, clomid, progesterone etc? did your doctor recommend those to you? did you need prescription for all that? i am thinking if i should try somethiny by my own since my doc is useless

#47 of 48 Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 PM

Hi
I too have pcos problem
And irregular mensus even I used metformin for few months l lost my little weight
But no ovulation we are planning for pregnancy
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post

With my daughter, I hadn't had menses since November, and conceived January 25.

I have PCOS and had irregular, annovulatory cycles. I had started taking Metformin in October, had one 28 day cycle, one drawn out cycle and that is when I conceived. It can be done!
#48 of 48 Old 05-19-2014, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry321 View Post

i had a question for all the ladies who replied with suggestions. i am also trying to get pregnant and noticed that on day 22 after periods, the ovulation detector showed the darkest line which means i ovulate very late too. my OBGYN is not helping me all all, no inputs, no suggestions. she just says keep trying and i am getting very anxious and impatient. i had a miscarriage in jan. i wanted to know for you all how you took vitex, clomid, progesterone etc? did your doctor recommend those to you? did you need prescription for all that? i am thinking if i should try somethiny by my own since my doc is useless

It took me several months of not trying too hard but still trying to conceive ds, which was done without aid. With dd We were trying for almost a year and I finally realized that my LP was super short, probably from breastfeeding ds. I started vitex and was pregnant the first cycle on it, I think because it lengthened my LP. Vitex is awesome, I didn't have any side effects and it worked great. It's all natural, I believe it just makes your cycle do what it would do naturally to conceive. I still have the bottle, dd is now 3 months old and I'm thinking I should throw it out, no more kids for us

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page