Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Yes, but only occassionally

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Not at all

Votes: 16 20.3%

Do You Do Caffeine?

1K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  casmi 
#1 ·
I did drink a latte (coffee and milk) almost every day w/ my last pregnancy.
I have given up coffee and tea for this one, w/ the exception of the occassional glass of iced tea.
What about you and what are your thoughts on caffeine consumption during pg??

#3 ·
I voted not at all. Although, I think everything in moderation is just fine. I didn't give up caffiene specifically because I'm pregnant though. I just find that there isn't really anything I like with caff. Except for chocolate. Starbucks, I order it decaf. If I'm dying for a Coke (1x/6mo) then I get it Caf-free. I guess I really don't like it normally, so I didn't change when I got pregnant.

Although, the thing I do regret -- I didn't get to have a Margarita this summer. Oooh, I feel like I'm missing out. I tell my husband have the mix ready because during labor, I'll be drinking myself silly. (Just kidding!)

#4 ·
I drink one cup of coffee in the morning. Once every month or so, I have an additional cup in the afternoon. I tried to quit at the beginning of my pregnancy, and I got terrible headaches. I drank coffee with my other two, and they turned out fine.
Also, I have iced tea every once in awhile, but usually water it down with tons of ice cubes. I'm drinking iced pregnancy tea now, and love it.

And I never deprive myself chocolate! Really, I eat 90% healthy diet and allow myself some slack. I guess if it made me sick, or I could tell it bothered my baby (while breastfeeding) I'd take it out of my diet, but I'm all for moderation.

Peace, Megan

#5 ·
I am allergic to caffeine, i have cystic breasts, and get very nervous from it... but i do have a coke at a fast food place occassionally, there's nothing like a fountain soda!! And i do have a candy bar or something sometimes, but i'm sooo sensitive to it.

A few nights ago i had a Dunkachino... it is sooo good, it is like Hot chocolate mixed with coffee... And i was up until 2 am, and woke up at 4am, and couldn't sleep after that...

I am a coffee snob and drink decafinated coffee everyday... Mellita is a great brand that you can get in the grocery store, especially if you like a full-bodied coffee!!

#6 ·
Fortunately I had weened myself off of a nasty caffiene habbit several months ago. It was tough but now that I'm pg I'm glad I did it.
I have been drinking a ton of iced rooibos tea everyday. It doesn't have any caffiene, but it does have tons of good stuff like calcium. It has a mild flavor so I don't put anything else in it. Usually I make a super strong batch in a french press with loose tea, then pour it into a gallon jug and dilute with water and chill in the fridge. It's the only beverage I can drink without throwing up, even plain water.

#7 ·
I voted never, but that's because in my mind Chocolate doesn't count
. Then it would be a daily habit, hehe! DH and I both gave up caffeine in college, 2 yrs before we got married...he was a horrible addict and would binge and then get bad headaches, he still will have an iced cappachino (sp?) occasionally, when he is working on something intense (grad student w/o any good study habits, hehe).

I did drink a ton of mountain dew in high school and college, and I'm so glad I gave it up. I also have a much better sleep schedule than I ever did then, and (except for while pregnant) never get tired...with caffeine I had waves of alertness/fatigue.

#8 ·
ooh, I miss coffee. I actually don't drink any caffeine now but it is because I am very prone to insomnia and any little bit can push me over the edge. BUT I *love* coffee, cola, chocolate....if I could drink it and sleep well at night, well, I would. During pregnancy, I'd probably not do it often.

I don't think there is anything wrong w/caff. in moderation. Instead, I must have my afternoon "PBS kids" break, where I half-nap while the kids watch a little bit.

#9 ·
I mostly stayed away from coffee during my 1st trimester. I drank a cup almost every morning during my 2nd trimester, sometimes an additional cup in the afternoon. Now, I've mostly cut out coffee again--not because of the caffeine, but because of it's diuretic effects. It's very very hot here this time of year (highs rarely get below 100) and I got pretty dehydrated a couple of weeks ago--like, I was so dizzy I couldn't walk without help and felt like I was going to vomit. I'm just doing everything in my power to avoid that happening again.

I think the only time you really need to worry about caffeine is in early pregnancy, and that's only if you drink excessive amounts.

peace, Beth

#10 ·
I take a coke and open it up pour it in my cup filled to the rim with ice and drink that. thats all I get I let myself have half a coke a day. I add all the ice so it looks like a full cup. Then i will drink the other half the next day. Has saved on money for i use to drink about 3-4 a day Now i am drinking half of one a day. It also prevented me from getting the awful headaches you get when you stop all of a sudden

#11 ·
Quote:
Although, the thing I do regret -- I didn't get to have a Margarita this summer. Oooh, I feel like I'm missing out.
I feel your pain.

I have been dying for ONE good stiff drink! And i don't drink very often mind you. I think it's just knowing I can't.

I Love Caffeine! I have cut down to 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day but thats only because the smell was making my stomach turn back in the morning sickness days. I used to drink it all day though. I drink Pepsi too.
Did I mention I Love Caffeine???

#12 ·
I usually have coffee 3-4 times a week, but completely went off it for the first half of this pregnancy...couldn't stand the taste.

I do drink it now (very occasionally), but I'll generally have decaf.

I do have the occasional 'real' Diet Coke (I think the decaf stuff isnt' worth drinking
), but I try to limit myself on that - maybe 1 can a week or so. But that's mainly because of the Nutrasweet, rather than the caffiene (although it's an added bonus that I'm not consuming very much caffeine either).

Do have chocolate every once in awhile, but it's not a big thing with me...

#13 ·
Guess what I'm doing right now? Drinking my morning cup-o-joe!
I voted daily, although I usually miss a day or two a week. I like my decaf tea, but there's nothing like that one cup of coffee in the a.m.
Y'know the weirdest thing??? Now that I'm in my 2nd trimester, the only aversion I have is to sugar in general, and chocolate in specific. I never would have thought this was possible! I craved sugar like crazy in the first tri.

Just as a side note...I read an interview with various European women and an Englishwoman said that we Americans are really "hung up" on things like caffeine and alcohol when pregnant. I've heard that many French still drink some wine when pg. I've also heard that the incidence of smoking while pg is higher in Europe, as well. So, I guess vices are really determined culturally...although I'd like to hear what medical statistics follow these variances.

#14 ·
I regularly see a homeopath who had me give up caffine. I was off the stuff for 6 months, and then realized that my one cup of coffee a day made me function better. When I got pregnant, I gave it up again. At my 4 month checkup I asked my midwife about caffine and she said up to 24 oz a day of coffee was okay. I averaged about 16oz a day for the rest of my pregnancy. I did stress about it a little bit, but after much reading decided that the biggest risk is miscarriage in the first trimester which I was already past.

#15 ·
"I voted never, but that's because in my mind Chocolate doesn't count . Then it would be a daily habit, hehe!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ITA!
Hadn't thought about chocolate when I was on my high horse voting

#16 ·
Just wanted to add that you guys need to quit worrying about chocolate! A Hershey bar has about as much caffeine as a cup of decaf coffee. I don't think I could survive pregnancy without chocolate!

Also, krolissa is right about the cultural thing. We just got back from 2 weeks in London and France and they think we're totally paranoid about alcohol and caffeine. My SIL is English and her midwife actually *recommended* red wine and Guinness to boost her iron. She wasn't suggesting binge drinking or anything, but a few units a weeks was a good idea... It's nothing to see a pregnant woman enjoying a glass of red wine in France.

I may be bashed until next Tuesday for this, but I actually feel like a small glass of dark beer or wine, very rarely in the third trimester, can be very handy for evil insomnia. I think lack of sleep is actually worse for your health.

There's my $.02!

peace, Beth

#17 ·
Hey, i have heard that it is recommended to have a glass of wine even daily in the third tri...

I had one two nights ago and one last night... i finally got some sleep!!!!!

Besides, my ob said that one glass of wine doesn't pass through the placenta, nor does 1/2 a glass of champagne, or one 12 oz beer...

I've also had about 3-4 beers in this pregnancy... total, not all at once!!

But see, to me, having one just doesn't cut it!!!! I can't wait to be able to have 4 in a sitting!!! wooo hooo!!!... I'll have to wait until baby is sleeping through the night w/out nursing!!! hee hee

#18 ·
No regular caffeine here. I have had a sip of dh's black tea once, and a piece of chocolate cake at a b-day party, oh and I had a half cup of really weak green tea this week. So I guess none at all would be a lie, more like very occasionally in tiny amts.

But I was not very into it before, I had green tea a couple times a week, and an occasional black tea or iced tea.

With how tired I have been, I want to drink it, but I know it won't help, I'll just feel tired and wired at the same time, blech.

#19 ·
It is interesing to see the cultural differences between here and Europe or Asia even.
In my last pg I was refused a glass of wine at a resteraunt. I did have a glass or 2 of wine probably 5-6 x throughout my last pg.
I have had one glass of shiraz at dinner in this pg just last week.
I forgot that I do drink a mild cup of mate a few mornings a week. It probably has about 1/4 of the caffeine that a cup of coffee has, but also has lots of antioxidants. I also drink rooibos everyday.
My mailn reasons for avoiding caffeine, especially coffee, is the diuretic effect, as well as the way it can leech calcium from the body.
Funny thing, I normally love chocolate... good dark chocolate, but haven't craved it one time this pg.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth-TX
Also, krolissa is right about the cultural thing. We just got back from 2 weeks in London and France and they think we're totally paranoid about alcohol and caffeine. My SIL is English and her midwife actually *recommended* red wine and Guinness to boost her iron. She wasn't suggesting binge drinking or anything, but a few units a weeks was a good idea... It's nothing to see a pregnant woman enjoying a glass of red wine in France.
yup, yup. I agree! the truth is there hasn't been good research about mild consumption of alcohol during pregnancy. most studies looked at women who were drinking every day-- heavily. well, of course that's no good, even if you're not pregnant.

both my mom and my grandma never stopped having their one glass of red wine with dinner and their morning coffee with any of their pregnancies. we all turned out ok.

i've had a couple of glasses of champagne and a couple of glasses of wine in this pregnancy (starting on the second tri.) and always have a sip or two of whatever dh is having if we're at a restaurant or bar or whatnot. I'm not worried.

now coffee i stopped drinking almost completely. not intentionally though, i just don't crave it anymore. i do have the occasional mocha. yum!

i also drink mate, bebe luna, almost everyday. i'm from argentina, and i just love drinking it the "traditional" way. bombilla and all.

#21 ·
Anabean: I am a mate drinker, too.
When I moved across the country at month 4, though, I left all my mate at home. I sure miss it!

bebe luna: You were refused a glass of wine at a restaurant? I want to hear that story! Talk about making you feel like a criminal -- that's horrible!

#22 ·
I've had more caffeine this time around than the first. I only buy decaf coffee because I gave up regular the first time I was pregnant, and I didn't see any need to start buying regular beans again. But I have to have regular black and green tea in addition to the caffeine free herbal types. Where I probably get most of my caffeine is when I get iced tea when I am at a restaurant. But heck, some times they make it so weak that I figure a couple of glasses won't hurt.

#23 ·
Whew. I was sure I would be the only coffee drinker here! I gave it up during my first trimester, mainly because just the thought of it made me gag. Then, all of the sudden, I HAD TO HAVE IT. I was craving it so much I decided to just give in so now I have 1 cup a day and I love it so very much. If I get Starbucks I usually get a decaf unless I am really needing a boost. I still feel bad though and I imagine little Stella in there doing jumping jacks to work off her caffeine buzz.

I have also had the occasional beer and glass of wine, I see no issue with that.

Amy

#24 ·
I am/was a big Cherry Coke addict. I will often drink from my dh's cup when he has it. If I'm really having a tired day I'll get my own and drink it, then I feel horrid. Not only from the guilt of drinking caffeine, but from the baby bouncing around in my womb from it. Plus, the sugar seems to make my teeth and head hurt. It's a love/hate relationship!

#25 ·
I drink 1 cup of caffinated coffee in the morning.

I have cut out all other caffinated beverages besides that one cup of coffee in the morning. I don't eat chocolate (or very very rarely) so I'm not getting anything from that.

I have also heard about drinking a glass of wine during your third trimester. While I don't want to test that, I *REALLY* wouldn't mind a drink every once in while in the evening to relax with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.