Mothering Forum banner

What should I put on my checklist of things to get for baby?

965 views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  kimmysue2 
#1 ·
This will be our first baby and I am not sure what, if anything I am leaving out in preparing for our new arrival....

I will be breast feeding, so I know I need a pump and some bottles for those times I won't be available.

We will be co-sleeping and we already got the baby delight co-sleeper, which I think is so cute. So we won't be doing a nursery off the bat.

We are going to use a diaper service of cloth diapers, but I know I need to get some of the outer layer covers still.

Clothes obviously.

I am going to make my own sling and we will probably buy a cheap stroller because I don't think we will use it much.

I just bought a cute little swing to rock the baby to sleep occassionally.

I already own a rocking chair.

Car seat is taken care of.

Am I missing anything? I would like to know what I am leaving out and I figured you ladies could certainly help me with that.

Thanks,
Caring Touch

See less See more
#2 ·
I would add:
boppy for bf'ing
one of those head support things, we have one from Infantino that also helps their back posture and came with the car seat strap covers
a car seat cover for winter
flannel fabric and a container for cloth wipes
bibs (these can wait a while)
a bath tub, or a sling you can wear for bathing, I saw one somewhere made from a soft mesh
Baby shampoo, wash, and lotion - I love, love, love Dessert Essence
Diaper Bag
Changing pad or extra towels to catch the oopsies!
Since you are breastfeeding - Lansinoh is very important, nursing pads and a nursing bra
Nasal Aspirator
Nail clippers
Soft hair brush
Ear thermometer - we have one and we find it is very accurate
Recieving Blankets
Sheets for your co-sleeper
A baby book, keepsake box, and/or handprint kit - I never liked baby books, they never seemed to have places to record the things our AP family did
Un petroleum jelly, calendula cream or other natural diaper ointment
Cheap-o flat fold cloth diapes for burp cloths
goldenseal powder for cord care - I love the stuff from gentlemoon.com its called Cord Care and ds's cord was off and healed within a week
If you aren't using a digital camera, lots of film!!!
A nice plain carrier oil for infant massage - I have avacado oil and then after baby is bigger you can add some EO to it for a nice aromatherapy massage

That's all I can think of, I hope its helpful!

HTH

#3 ·
I liked My Brest Friend much more than the Boppy pillow (YMMV).

Flannel nursing pads (washable and really helpful the first few weeks for me!).

Ditto on the Lansinoh.

Lots of food in the freezer. Cordless phone. Dishwasher.

The swing was useless for us, but we used to put the bouncy seat on the table when we ate (and ds loved that).

Stretch socks (forget about booties--they're useless).

I found nursing in a recliner that rocks to be much comfier than a rocking chair (because of all the padding). Gliders make me seasick.

Do a little thinking about what your diapering style will be before you buy covers. Do a search here... I think there are a million old threads discussing every cover (and diaper) known.

Also think about what your baby dressing style will be before you embark on clothes. I found that I dealt better with zippers than snaps, but I know some people prefer snaps. And I wasn't big on the newborn gowns. I loved hats (and so does my ds, still).

Waterproof pads for the cosleeper and/or your bed (we have these great pads which are basically felt with a rubberized backing... no crinkle, and super absorbant). There will probably be a learning curve in your diapering abilities.
But after the 1st couple of weeks, we've had almost no leaks (we have more leaks when we use sposies when travelling...).

Be careful about using too much stuff on your baby's skin (and scented stuff)... my ds has very sensitive skin, and we really avoid just about everything (how dirty can a newborn get?).

Get at least 2 nursing bras. Get the best you can find. Your size may change after a couple of months (rib cage returns to normal size, breasts may be less humongous), so don't get a ton at first.

Think about what you might need clothewise (easier to get it now)... do you need a new robe? Some comfy jammies?

Baby ibuprofen and pedialyte (get the smallest size you can find with no obnoxious flavor, if possible)... yeah, it's not nice to think of needing them, and they're "mainstream", but if your baby gets seriously sick in the middle of the night and you *do* need them, you don't want to have to send your partner out in the middle of the night to get them (my ds has been sick basically once in 26 mos.--with rotavirus, and he was hospitalized
).

A diaper pail.

Good luck!

Kristine

#4 ·
I'm more of a "Have Boobs Will Travel" sort of mama. The only thing I'd add to your original list is an extra set of sheets for your bed. Even with the baby in the co-sleeper (especially if s/he prefers your bed) your sheets tend to get dirtier than before the baby. Having at least one spare is really a neccesity, IMHO.

Also, your diaper service most likely will let you use their covers too. You can always try out theirs and see how you like them. In fact, if you like the brand that the diaper service uses, you can buy used ones off them for CHEAP.

I really don't think you need too much stuff. But, if it makes you feel better having it around then go for it! Remember, though, when people come to visit or call to see if you need anything, you can always ask them to pick up X, Y or Z. People like being able to help out.

#5 ·
Quote:
Some comfy jammies?
I would like to add that if you have any long nightgowns that don't have buttons down the middle it will really bite in the middle of the night to have to pull up all that material. Before I got nursing pj's I had switched to shorts and a t-shirt.
edited to take out the swear.... :LOL

#6 ·
"a t-shit"

that sounds gross!!
Sorry that jsut hit me really really funny this morning.....

I would add (and just me personally) that they have these spandex bands for your boobs. You can get them at Walmart. I used those at night time for the first few weeks. Then you have coverage so your newly filled breasts aren't smacking all over the place and they are easy to jsut pop under a boob to nurse. i still wear mine at night but I don't wear a shirt to bed either.

I was also more of a less is more...after everyone convinced me I needed all this crap and I used it for awhile then realized it was useless. I still carry a diaper bag but it is just a purse and not an overly large one either. But my friends with children the same age and older still carry those HUGE diaper bags that are too big to be carry on luggage on an airplane!

Some things will be trial and error...you'll buy them and hate them and then for baby 2 you know you can go without.

Good luck! If you are having a shower just register for stuff youa ren't sure about and if you get it great cause you can try it out and if you change your mind you can take it back!

#7 ·
Not all babies are as sensitive to this as my ds was, but we needed ALL our clothes with snaps, buttons or zippers all the way down the front. I wound up never using more than half of what we received and having to buy so much because of this sensitivity. Until he was about 8 months old, absolutely nothing could go on over his head without a huge crying episode. You may want to get lots of jammies and things hat open all the way down the front just in case.

#8 ·
I agree that a lot of this stuff is trial-and-error. I am a BIG diaper bag woman (like mine big, and I also use it as a purse and work bag), and I found it took me a while to find a bag that suits me. If you're sewing your own sling, perhaps you'll sew a couple. I have a thing about liking my clothes to look at least a little "together," and my sling didn't always coordinate...whatever.

HATS. Seems a lot of folks don't pay attention to summer hats these days, but ds (2yo) still has to wear his at the park and out-and-about. And of course, in winter, it's a necessity to have a warm cap.

For tiny babies, I prefer gowns--but I think it's because I think they are romantic.

I was surprised to find that, for clothes, I did not use more than 5-7 "outfits" for each size range. I quickly developed preferences, and everything else sat there, tags and all.

You might want to get some kind of blender/food processor, if you don't already have one, if you wish to make your own food for baby later. TONS cheaper, does not really take much time considering how long it takes to use it up, and you know exactly what went in.

I recommend a heating pad for your own back. I had a lot of post partum back pain, and my sister's heating pad was a comfort.

And save the ibuprofen for after 6 months, but DEFINITELY stash some Tylenol. In total agreement with the massage oil suggestion--training is available in newborn massage, and I found it helpful. Maybe you could ask for a gift of a couple opf sessions for Mom, too?

Books/mags to read while nursing. The library is good for this, of course.

Those little head supports for the car seat are nice, but a rolled-up receiving blanket does the same job.

Plastic grocery bags work for soiled dipes on-the-go, but a nylon drawstring tote really is nice. I'd have 3, ideally.

It was in my post-partum period that I discovered my HATRED for disposable sanitary napkins. For $$ reasons (and a 13-month AF-less period), I had to wait to get my washables. If you don't use them, but might like to try, it might be the time to ask a close friend to "shower" you with a couple.

#9 ·
some would probably disagree with me here, but some soft shoes (like Robeez or Bobux) are really nice for keeping socks on little feet. Until I got mine, my dd was *constantly* kicking off her socks. You'll find them especially handy in the winter. They're kinda expensive, but the leather is really soft and can grow with your baby to some extent, so they last a long time.

I didn't end up needing any bottles, but I'm a SAHM. It may be a different story for you. My Avent pump came in handy a couple of times for engorgement, but I probably could have gotten away with hand expression.

Get tons of flannel receiving blankets. They're very handy as burp cloths, changing pads and even diapers in a pinch!

Since you can sew, I'd recommend making your own flannel nursing pads--very easy, just cut out circles of fabric and zig zag them together around the edges. They won't be as beautiful as store bought, but they will be soooo much cheaper. Especially if you use second hand flannel blankets or sheets. Ditto for cloth mama pads if you choose to use them--you can find patterns online.

That's all I can think of for now. Seems like you have things pretty much covered. Enjoy your new babe!

peace, Beth

#11 ·
I think Mamaof2 got most of what i would have suggested, but i would also say you need a chair for the baby, like a vibrating chair or something to set him/her down in so you can go to the bathroom or cook... I had a number of different ones from hand-me-downs, but i also found it was nice that i had a high-chair that tilted way back like an infant chair so i could put baby in the kitchen with me while i did dishes or whatever and he didn't have to be on the floor... especially because we have a very small kitchen, and a very big dog!!

So my recommendation is the infant to toddler rocker by fisher price, it is $29.99 at toys r us and you can use it from the day they come out until they are 40 lbs... my 3 year old was sitting in the one i bought the other day and he loved it!

And a highchair that tilts back... i have the Graco, it was one of the least expensive ones on the market 3 years ago... But it has been Great, it is called the 3 in one i think, it has three tilt positions and 6 heights, and two trays... If i had to guess it was probably around $79 at toys r us... but they have TONS of these at consignment shops!!!

Good luck!!

#13 ·
Compared to most mamas in the US I am a minamilist.
Here is my list of essentials:
*boppy
*lanisoh
*cloth dipes and covers
*wipes
*diaper pail
*clothes, baby hats, socks
*a few recieving blankets
*Dr.Bronners or other gentle cleanser
*sling
*carseat
*some homeopathic remedies for baby~ chamomilla, infant colic relief, infant teething relief
*q-tips, cotton balls, cord care
*baby nail clippers
*humidifier/vaporizer (some lavender oil to sprinkle in the water is nice too)
*a couple water proof pads

Stuff like walkers, baby baths, swings, bouncy chairs, etc are all unnecessarry extras.

Stollers, rocking chairs, co-sleepers, wipe warmers, baby towels, and baby monitors are all just nice extras.

I never used a high chair until ds was about 7 months and then we just used a little baby chair that attatched to the table. It saved a lot of room!
I also always took him in the bath w/ me so there was no need for a baby bath.
I didn't use a stroller very often. Instead I used our sling or front carrier.

#15 ·
i second the suggestion of the infant to toddler chair CT mentioned. If your babe hates a vibrating chair (like my son) it is very very useful later on and not really a waste of money. My son loves his because it is his very own size and pretty safe.

We didn't even get a highchair till ds was about 9 months old. He didn't eat solids and played in a johny jump up till he was ready to eat at the table!

Some of these ideas are great....I'm going to write them down too!

#16 ·
Definitely nursing pjs that have a top and bottom
Ditto on the Robeez...we loved them, and DS could never get them off!
Nail scissors - I found them easier to use than nail clippers
Mirror for the car - There's this mirror that has a suction cup to stick to the back window so you can see them when the car seat is rear-facing

#17 ·
What I used.
boppy for bf'ing yep it was nice to have
Hats for my fair one.
The baby bath tub was nice for the first few times. But once I got the hang of it I would take a bath with the baby.
Toe nail clipper. Its amazing how sharp their nails get.

Its hard for me to say I got stuff I never used. I still have a diaper pail thingy brand new. I have 2 mobles and 3 diaper holder things again never used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.