Constantly tight uterus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello--

I'm new to these fora and have a question. I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my first baby. At about 18 weeks I noticed that whenever I exercised or ate too much, my uterus would get really tight and uncomfortable. My midwife told me that this was likely Braxton Hicks contractions and nothing to worry about.

Just this past week however, the tightness has started happening every time I stand up and walk around and doesn't go away until I sit down or lay down. It can last for over 30 minutes. It is not painful but is extremely uncomfortable and makes it hard for me to stand up straight and take a deep breath. When I called my midwife's office a few days ago, they send me to labor and delivery. There, they set me up to a fetal monitor which didn't show any contractions (no surprise since when I lie down everything is fine). The nurse said it did show some "uterine irritability." I'm seeing a perinatologist on Friday for this and because the fetal monitoring also showed some decelerations in the baby's heartrate (long story but this is not something my midwife is very worried about). In the meantime, I'm supposed to take it easy and drink lots of water (which I have been doing already throughout the whole pregnancy--I drink between 64 and 100 ounces every day).

Anyhow, has anyone else experienced this? At the hospital they told me to time the "contractions" (if this is what I'm having) and to come back if I have 4 or more an hour. The problem is that I can't time them--the feeling doesn't really come and go. When this happens, it's just a constant, prolonged very tight feeling that doesn't go away until I get off of my feet. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if these are even contractions since they don't come and go but I know this doesn't seem very normal because I'm so uncomfortable. I'm a professor and while I'm on break now and can rest a lot, classes start in a few weeks and I can't imagine how I'll teach and go about my duties feeling so uncomfortable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 AM

I've not had anything diagnosed, but wanted to say I've experienced something similar. What made a difference for me was drinking more water. My midwives asked me to be drinking AT LEAST 128 oz a day (at least a gallon a day). Once I started drinking a gallon every day, my frequent BH almost went away completely. So, you could try doubling the amount that you are drinking, and see if that makes any difference for you. Make sure you get lots of rest as well. I can definitely tell at the end of the day if I got enough water--if I come up short I get lots of BH and an uncomfortably tight uterus like you describe. Anyway, just one idea. Hope things turn our okay for you.
--K

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:30 AM
DBZ

Yeah they are probably braxton hicks. Drink more water! For me they seem pretty constant when I am walking, shoveling snow, etc.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

User Tag List