Snacks during labor - Mothering Forums
I'm Pregnant > Snacks during labor
madis81's Avatar madis81 08:31 PM 01-07-2008
Does anyone have good suggestions for snacks and drinks during labor? I'd really like to have some healthy energy-giving snacks, but my brain is stuck in a pregnancy fog!

lil_earthmomma's Avatar lil_earthmomma 08:41 PM 01-07-2008
My faves were:

frozen grapes
fruit already cut up and ready to eat
organic fruit popsicles
cheese cut up ready to eat

I also had a little sandwich station set up with veggies and meat and cheese etc. for everyone to snack at through out the labor.

Raspberry leaf tea and ice water were my best friends!

Happy birthing!
wendy1221's Avatar wendy1221 08:44 PM 01-07-2008
I ate leftover chicken, among many other things. I just remember the chicken was really good.
Luca'smum's Avatar Luca'smum 08:45 PM 01-07-2008
I liked having yogurts and mandarin oranges and juice boxes. I forgot all about the raspberry leaf tea popsicles I had made.
Klynne's Avatar Klynne 09:43 PM 01-07-2008
I couldn't eat anything, blah! but my labor was short and to the point! not sure if this makes a diffrence.

RRL tea is a good thing to have on hand, along with fruits (dried too), that's about all I thought I'd want.
dahlsk's Avatar dahlsk 01:14 AM 01-08-2008
My childbirth class recommended a little instant oatmeal. Pack a couple packets and I'm sure your can get some hot water wherever you are birthing. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to!
NatureMama3's Avatar NatureMama3 01:20 AM 01-08-2008
add me to the "i couldn't eat" list. I couldn't even drink! It was just too intense.

Ate and drank well afterward though!
DBZ's Avatar DBZ 03:14 AM 01-08-2008
I had no desire to eat when I was in labor and once I got really into it, I would have been a waste of time anyway.
riverundine's Avatar riverundine 05:18 AM 01-08-2008
my mom made oatmeal at the beginning of active labor and i couldn't even eat one bite. no thoughts of food at all. and i had a 19 hour labor. but organic recharge was wonderful. i drank A LOT of recharge, and some juice.
afterward, a grilled cheese with fried tofu was to die for!
aishy's Avatar aishy 05:20 AM 01-08-2008
mmmm frozen grapes, i had those last labor, though it stopped that day (when my children were taken 20 minutes away which i absolutely did not want)

yogurt with #2. i don't recall eating much with #3. and. taco bell with #1 Yum (yup i puked, yup it was worth it).
riverundine's Avatar riverundine 05:20 AM 01-08-2008
sorry - forgot to mention what my midwife recommends...
she recommends bananas and miso soup for laboring energy .
Jane's Avatar Jane 05:24 AM 01-08-2008
Something you like with real sugar in it (or honey, or whatever, just not splenda or equal) - any athlete's drink is extra good like recharge, gatorade, powerade, in a flavor you've tried before and like. Lemonade is good, tea with honey, whatever you like.
I wouldn't recommend apple or orange juice, so many people don't like those in labor for some reason.
If you like ice or really cold drinks, lay in some ice. And straws.

Bagels/Toast/Muffins are good for an easy HOT snack - it's nice to have something warm sometimes and it's good one-handed food while you're nursing. Plus butter, jelly, nut butter, cream cheese, whatever you like.

Fruit, Cheese, Chips, Crackers, Hard Boiled Eggs, Dried Fruits, Nuts, Carrots, what do YOU like to eat?

Honestly, if junk food hits the spot, go for that...it doesn't have to be healthy.
Ligeia's Avatar Ligeia 05:33 PM 01-08-2008
I had raw slices of tofu, cut up melon, a small veggie breakfast patty and TONS of Recharge. The tofu and the recharge I think really kept me going. I cold only eat a tiny bit of the other stuff.
AKA_PI's Avatar AKA_PI 05:36 PM 01-08-2008
Excuse my ignorance, but I've always been told that you shouldn't eat?
NatureMama3's Avatar NatureMama3 05:59 PM 01-08-2008
you should eat if you are able to. It helps keep your blood sugar up and your body able to work so hard.

They have you fast in the hospital "just in case" you need a c-section. :
wendy1221's Avatar wendy1221 08:08 PM 01-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
you should eat if you are able to. It helps keep your blood sugar up and your body able to work so hard.

They have you fast in the hospital "just in case" you need a c-section. :
yeah, and the fasting probably contributes to failure to progress, imo.
NatureMama3's Avatar NatureMama3 08:34 PM 01-08-2008
exactly!
baschabad's Avatar baschabad 10:24 PM 01-08-2008
The reason they tell you not to eat during labor, is in case you might need a major surgery. Henci Goer (in The Thinking Woman's Guide) says that until they pass this law on people driving on highways, there's no reason why a woman shouldn't eat during labor. Go tell a marathon runner not to eat for a 12 run!
Gremco's Avatar Gremco 11:54 PM 01-08-2008
I had no desire to eat all 30+ hours of labor. Of course I kept throwing up. I did love ice chips. It was all I could keep down.
letniaLynne's Avatar letniaLynne 01:38 AM 01-09-2008
I cooked a MAJOR dinner, pork chops with I think rice (might have been potatoes) and veggie at about 8:30pm:. My DD was born at 2:30am. It was just right! I never felt hungry or without fuel during labor. I can't imagine if I did not eat and tried to birth a babe, my body just needed to EAT!
cr8d4lv's Avatar cr8d4lv 01:19 PM 01-09-2008
I couldn't eat (both times). I only drank. When I tried to eat, it came back up.
Fletchersmama's Avatar Fletchersmama 02:22 PM 01-09-2008
I don't remember eating much, but plan to have my favorite snacks available: toast with pb and jelly, cheese and crackers, oranges. I did drink tons of Knudsen Simply Nutritious Morning Blend - it's all fruit juice. I hate sport drinks and recharge. I didn't know enough about RRL tea, but plan to have that this time - hot and cold!
Right after birth I craved meatloaf and mashed potatoes. dh got some from a cafe - it tasted great, but I'm sure was horrible. I plan to have my favorite quiche on hand this time!
merry-mary's Avatar merry-mary 06:54 PM 01-09-2008
I couldn't eat. Bleh. My doula begged me to eat a piece of peanut butter toast, and I forced it down but I didn't really want it. I'm glad I did - I still had another 8 hours of labor ahead of me at that time. I drank a TON of gatorade and I wish I had tempered that with some water b/c my and the baby's sugar levels were really elevated after birth. This time, I will drink more water and a little gatorade.

Also, one thing I will do this time is have more snacks readily available for DH and my doula. We had some things in the house, but not really enough and I forgot to pack stuff for the hospital.

After I gave birth, I ate like a champion! I was so hungry.
Up