2008! Plus-sized and Pregnant Tribe! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 311 Old 03-30-2008, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WhooHoo! Congratulaton Kara and Kahnni!!
Have you posted birth stories yet? Very curious about the unassisted in the backseat of the car part! They both sound like very healthy babies--yay for you both and your families!
#182 of 311 Old 03-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Congratulations, DBZ and khanni!

I'm 39 weeks 1 day now and really surprised to still be pregnant. I went into labor at 38 weeks 6 days with DD, and my intuition this whole pregnancy had been that this baby would be born a little earlier. I've been crampy and having mild contractions since last night, but they don't seem to be turning into anything. But I did have dreams all night long about being in labor!
#183 of 311 Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 PM

Hi ladies,

I would love to join this tribe. My name is Jenn and we are expecting our 1st in Oct. I'm 5'2 and started off this pregnancy at 195 but down to 190. My weight has fluctuated throughout the first tri but has been a loss between 5-10 lbs overall. Where do you ladies find supportive bras? I was a 40DDD before pregnancy and now at 11 wks I'm needing to move into something else. Any recommendations?

Jenn EDD 3/20/10 with two 3/06 Jaden 06/08
#184 of 311 Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 PM
DBZ

Here is my birth story.

Jennisee, how is your asthma these days? Better I hope.

love14, I am bigger chested then you and I wear a Goddess bra, style 511. It's a very good one. I get mine at Lady Grace because I live near one of their stores, but they are for sale at many places on the net.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#185 of 311 Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesinottawa View Post
I think my joints must be loosening up. I'm in my 25th week and so I'm a little disappointed that this is happening so early. I think it's probably more age related (I'm 37, will be 38 at the end of June) than weight but who knows. It takes very little physical work for me to get a sore lower back and sometimes it just feels like my hips will just fall apart (or maybe because it's baby #3?). Anyway, my husband is deployed and so I'm left with hauling wood for the woodstove (we still have snow on the ground) and all those other tasks. Anyone else feeling like this so early in pg? Any suggestions (no dh for massages either!).
Jules,
My joints started loosening up about week 9. That's when I started having severe pelvic pain from a misaligned pelvis. Weekly visits to the chiro have helped more than I ever imagined they would. Pelvic rocks help to strengthen the lower back, are good for the hips, and help baby align it's self head down in a good position. At least so I am told by my sister's midwife and my chiro.

Good luck, and don't strain yourself too much.
#186 of 311 Old 03-31-2008, 08:50 PM

Are any of you ladies vbac mamas? I'm curious to know if your weight was a factor to your dr. or midwife, I have some concerns that the dr. I will be going to will think I'm a bad candidate cuz of my weight.

I'm 5'4 and 190 at 19 wks I have gained 5 lbs.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#187 of 311 Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula13 View Post
Are any of you ladies vbac mamas? I'm curious to know if your weight was a factor to your dr. or midwife, I have some concerns that the dr. I will be going to will think I'm a bad candidate cuz of my weight.

I'm planning a HBAC (homebirth after cesarean) and my midwife has never said anything about my weight (I'm 5'6" and 224 - I've lost 4 lbs so far this pregnancy). I'd run far and fast from any doctor who is "fat-phobic". Even if he "let's" you VBAC as of now, he'll find a way to make sure you have a repeat section before it's all over. Find someone who will support your birthing choices. I am unaware of any evidence that says that VBAC is more dangerous for plus-sized mamas. I know there's evidence that says VBAC is less successful, but it's a bit of a chicken-or-the-egg argument. Is VBAC less successful because drs are fatphobic or are plus-sized women somehow less able to birth vaginally (ha! ha! and double ha!!)?

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#188 of 311 Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This will be my second HBAC. I think you should look for a new provider. Weight is not an issue at all, especially your weight and height ratio. It would be a different story if you were so large you could barely get around but that's not the case at all.

I weighed more than you when I had ds and had no problems birthing him at all.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#189 of 311 Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 AM

Well honestly I haven't seen a Dr. at all yet, not because I didn't want to of course but because I was waiting for our insurance to through(couldn't afford to pay out of pocket). So I have no idea whether he will have a problem with my weight I am just scared that he will because dr. are usually more concerned about such things.

I have alreadly warned my mother and husband that I will have this baby at home alone if this Dr. says anything about my weight....LOL. There is no way I'm letting someone pressure me into asection been there done that.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#190 of 311 Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
I'm 39 weeks 1 day now and really surprised to still be pregnant. I went into labor at 38 weeks 6 days with DD, and my intuition this whole pregnancy had been that this baby would be born a little earlier. I've been crampy and having mild contractions since last night, but they don't seem to be turning into anything. But I did have dreams all night long about being in labor!
Well, I ended up going into labor a few hours after posting that. The synopsis and pictures are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Here is my birth story.

Jennisee, how is your asthma these days? Better I hope.
Holy cow, DBZ, what a birth story! Congratulations! I'd had a lingering fear that that would happen to me because I'm 70 miles from the hospital. However, one of my MW's had predicted that the flight-or-fight response would inhibit labor until I got to the hospital, and boy, was she right. When I got to the hospital, I rated my pain at a 3 out of 10, but within 30 minutes, the contractions were two minutes apart and I was screaming my head off.

My asthma continued to give me problems the rest of the pregnancy. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems during labor itself, but I did have a mild attack in recovery. I still have the remnants of an upper respiratory infection that has me coughing a lot, and I'm hoping that when it finally goes away, that the asthma will go away, too. Before this pregnancy, my asthma was so mild that I hadn't used my inhaler in a year, and I'd really like to get back to that.
#191 of 311 Old 04-03-2008, 08:36 PM
DBZ

70 miles? Egads! I thought 20-30 minutes was bad LOL. Do you live in the sticks or what? I hope your asthma goes away too.

#192 of 311 Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Do you live in the sticks or what?
Yes. I'm actually 30 minutes from the closest hospital (where my first child was born), but only OB's can deliver there, and I just didn't want an OB again. I wanted a midwife, and the closest CNM's were at the hospital 70 miles away. It's not as bad as it sounds, though. It's mostly country roads and interstate, so it's a 75 minute drive.
#193 of 311 Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 AM

Hi all! Congratulations of all of the baby's I see have been born recently!!!
Allow me to introduce myself...
I am a Plus Size, Type 1 Diabetic, Married, Soon to be Mommy!!!!(FINALLY) Baby boy is due August 9, 2008 although because of the Diabetes the Docs are pushing for a 38 week arrival. Diabetics tend to have big babies, so I am told. And I have to go with the OB because I can't find a midwife that will touch me with the Diabetes. So...
We are super excited that I am pregnant, I have had 2 early miscarriages in the past because of Diabetes. But I have an insulin pump now and I really want to meet the guy that invented this thing and kiss him/her. Because of it my A1c is 5.5 which is awsome!!!
If you have any questions about me, Diabetes, etc. feel free to ask, I'm by no means an expert but I have counted a carb or two in my time.

I also love Crafting. I love to sew and even got my husband into sewing and quilting. He just bought himself his newest baby, a 1950's morse sewing machine in cabinet at good will for $45 and it works like a dream. Hehe, boys and their toys. I also like to knit, crochet, embroider, and try anything in which I get to make a mess.

Opps! I think a wrote a book here.
Shawna
#194 of 311 Old 04-06-2008, 04:11 AM

Welcome potatocraft , and congrats on your baby=)

#195 of 311 Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm just happy to see this thread

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#196 of 311 Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Shawna,

I'd keep looking for a provider. I wouldn't want someone that assumed I'd have an unhealthy pregnancy without seeing actual evidence of it. Many mothers with diabetes have perfectly healthy and average sized babies.

#197 of 311 Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 AM

Hi! For everyone who has done this baby thing a time or two, What did you use for an infant carrier. I'm about 300 ish and I'm so afraid that nothing I buy is going to fit me. And i really would like a carrier or sling or something. Especially for when I'm walking my dogs and stuff because they would just haul on a stroller too hard for me to enjoy the walk.
Anyone have any ideas. I can sew if you have a pattern or a link to something.
Shawna
#198 of 311 Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
DBZ

I have a ring sling. I've also used an over the shoulder baby holder. There are patterns and stuff at www.sleepingbaby.net

#199 of 311 Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocraft View Post
Hi! For everyone who has done this baby thing a time or two, What did you use for an infant carrier. I'm about 300 ish and I'm so afraid that nothing I buy is going to fit me. And i really would like a carrier or sling or something. Especially for when I'm walking my dogs and stuff because they would just haul on a stroller too hard for me to enjoy the walk.
Shawna
Most carriers come in a variety of sizes. check with the style you want to see if it comes with XL straps or a large size.

#200 of 311 Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocraft View Post
Shawna
A simple pouch can be made to fit you and may be good for when your LO is really little. Also you can get a MT with extra long straps--mine are wayyy long so I've found I really didn't need the extra long addition. A wrap would be great---I have a Didymos in a size 8 and it's actually too long. (Can you tell I was afraid of things being too small, too?) You can make your own wrap from any material, lots of mom like a gauze for small infants. Check out thebabywearer.com and mamatoto.org for lots of links, suggestions, and advise.
#201 of 311 Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Who wants to post some new belly pics? I've been waiting for better weather as our camera works so much better with outside light (its been drizzly for days). I'll try to get some good ones in a couple of days though. It might take my that long to get up the energy to do my hair!

#202 of 311 Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Well honestly I haven't seen a Dr. at all yet, not because I didn't want to of course but because I was waiting for our insurance to through(couldn't afford to pay out of pocket). So I have no idea whether he will have a problem with my weight I am just scared that he will because dr. are usually more concerned about such things.

I have alreadly warned my mother and husband that I will have this baby at home alone if this Dr. says anything about my weight....LOL. There is no way I'm letting someone pressure me into asection been there done that.
I went to the Dr. on wednesday and he said nothing about my weight matter of fact he didn't even ask what my pre-pregnancy weight was. I told him all about my horrible c-section experience and the complications thereafter and he asked me what I wanted for this pregnancy and i told him to not have another section and he was fine with that and just explained to me what the hospital procedures were. One of the hospital's requirements is that he be with me the entire time so I'm thinking I should wait as long as possible to go in, I never went into labor with my son so I'm a litte worried.

How will I know when it's time to go to the hospital?

#203 of 311 Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

23 weeks pregnant pictures

#204 of 311 Old 04-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Cute pictures, Megan! Where did you get your cute maternity shirts? I peeked at your knitted stuff, too. : I'm sure you already know about these as a knitter, but I thought I'd mention how much I loved wool gowns for over fitteds. Unfortunately, DS outgrew this one quickly, but I'm hoping to get another one soon.

Ok, everyone, I need some help!! I need help finding 3X or 4X nursing shirts, especially for summer. Every time I buy a 3X shirt on eBay, it ends up fitting like a 2X or even a 1X, and I'm getting tired of wasting my money. I wear 22/24 shirts from Lane Bryant, but my hips are closer to a 26 right now. I know I can wear Motherhood 3X, but the only nursing clothes they seem to have are nightgowns. Can anyone recommend a store, brand, or website?
#205 of 311 Old 04-20-2008, 10:03 PM
DBZ

http://www.babybecoming.com/
http://www.plusmommaternity.com/
http://www.motherwear.com/

I haven't bought anything from here because I just can't afford to buy something and hope it works kwim? If you buy some tops please post reviews about fit, etc. Di

#206 of 311 Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Cute pictures, Megan! Where did you get your cute maternity shirts?
Its a non maternity shirt from Lane Bryant. I've not really been wearing maternity shirts yet. Just stretching out my regular ones!

#207 of 311 Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 PM

Hey all I was wondering if there was anything for plus size moms and here it is yay! I am a mom to 3 great kids with #4 comming in Dec! Oh how I wish I could have lost weight before i got pg so I could have the cute baby bump. I hated in my last pregnancy I didn't look pregnant only looked like I gained massive weight lol.

Oregon : mom x's 4 DS 1995 DD : 2005 DD2 2006 DD3 2008 hopeful future : Also full time college mom!
#208 of 311 Old 04-21-2008, 12:19 AM

Hi ladies! I JUST found out that I am pregnant with my third. Its very very surprising to me - we didn't expect this at all, but it is of course, a very happy surprise.

I'm plus sized, and SO thankful to find a group of fellow plus sized preggers to share experiences with.
#209 of 311 Old 04-21-2008, 01:45 AM

Reading through the thread a bit and thought I'd pop in on some things

Quote:
Did those that birhted in hospitals find that you were discriminated against because of your weight? Fatphobia as my midwife refers to it.
With my first I had a HORRIBLE hospital birth (i dont even want to go into it).

With my second it was FABULOUS. I think my doctor for #2 really made the difference. He was the first male doctor I'd ever had (nervous much), but he was VERY kind, a joyful person, and incredibly supportive. He asked me what my wishes were for *everything* and respected them. He didn't give me an episiotomy (insert angels singing here), and did everything in his power to make the whole experience positive & easy.

He was a little heavy set as well, so I wonder sometimes if that has to do with the acceptance level of different doctors.

Who knows...

Right now I would LOVE to do a water birth, but I dont think our hospital does it. Our insurance wont' cover anything labor/delivery related if you go *anywhere* else for medical care besides the military hospital here, and won't cover me for a year after the delivery either. So - I'm sortof "stuck" using the hospital. Still - with such a great experience last time, I'm hoping it will be just as good this time around.
#210 of 311 Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 AM

Hello ladies,

I haven't been around much. I find myself easily distracted these days. My due date was yesterday. DH and my parents (who are visiting) went out to celebrate yesterday at Olive Garden. That was nice. Especially since the last time we ate there was 36 weeks ago on our 8th wedding anniversary which also happened to be the day we discovered that we were pregnant.

Well, I'm just checking in with ya all. I'll be honest and let you know that I don't plan on being around much but when the podling arrives I'll certainly let you all know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page