Spotting & Cramping @ 21 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm 21 weeks along and all day today I've had spotting varying from pink to red and mild cramps & pressure. (I can tell the baby is very low which is I think the cause of the pressure )

I have an appointment tomorrow with my CNM. I'm wondering if I should mention this? I know that sounds like a dumb question and I probably *should* mention it but I'm just curious what he will actually do? I just hate sounding like I freak out about every twinge but I don't want to overlook something serious.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, you need to mention it for sure. Spotting at this point could mean a number of things, but IMO it is not normal at this stage. My friend started spotting and she had partial placental abruption and had to be on bedrest for awhile.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this! I am worried for you. Tell us what the midwife says?

eta - Do you have coverage? Maybe this is overreaction but if it were me I would go to the ER.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:27 AM

Hi,

Just wanted to second the need to talk about this with your provider!! I had a partial placental abruption at 34 weeks (with my first dd) and it required hospitalization and meds to stop labor.

I hope it isn't serious, but better to be on the safe side.

GL!

j
Old 01-15-2008, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your concern, I really really appreciate it. I do have health coverage and I have considered going in. I feel like such a hypocondriac but this is just so unsettling to me.

Also, I have a history of my placenta not holding up well, could this make me at a higher risk for placenta abrubtion?

I will talk to DH. I will let you know what they say as soon as I find out.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 AM

Maybe go in, it can't hurt, except it will wreck your sleep but IMO it's worth it. I don't know about risk status for abruption. Do you have a health info line you could call or anything like that?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 AM

You should definitely call now. I agree with pp that spotting isn't normal this late and spotting with cramping is never normal. At the least call the after-hours line and see what they say. But, honestly, since you seem to have some instinct that this is worth being concerned over, in your shoes, I would trust that and go straight to the ER. Your being concerned means a lot more to me than what any cnm or ob might assess over the phone! Trust your instincts and do something!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM

Just wondering how you are doing today?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

When I called last night they scheduled me for an u/s this morning. I have it at 11:00. The spotting continues. My pain is now more like a dull ache than cramping.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:06 PM

I hope all is ok! be sure they check cervical length.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM

good luck at the u/s! i hope all is well.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM

I hope everything went well at the u/s.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Hope everything went well today and that it really was nothing!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 PM

I just saw this. How did the US go?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Just saw it too. I'm hoping that all was well .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 PM

Hope everything is ok.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. I had my U/S this morning and saw my midwife at 4:30.

GOOD NEWS it's not an abruption. The weird thing is it's a subchorionic hemorrhage that I've had the whole time only now it's bigger.

I'm confused because my CNM told me no sex & no orgasms so total pelvic rest THE REST OF THE PREGNANCY... (I seriously can't believe it, that is so long!) I'm wondering what good this does and why he didn't schedule another u/s? I'm honestly wondering because I don't know anything about SH.

Anybody with more knowledge care to enlighten me? Do they not go away if you still have it by 20 weeks? What happens if it gets worse?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Ugh, that is long. I'm glad it's not abruption. I am not knowledgeable in this area but I hope someone who is will be along. If you want to get more views I would add in your title that this is happening at 20 weeks, I would think more people would look and maybe more people who've also had second trimester bleeding.

Thank you for updating, I was worrying about you today.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Ugh, that is long. I'm glad it's not abruption. I am not knowledgeable in this area but I hope someone who is will be along. If you want to get more views I would add in your title that this is happening at 20 weeks, I would think more people would look and maybe more people who've also had second trimester bleeding.

Thank you for updating, I was worrying about you today.
I'm sorry it took so long! I hate making people worry. I wish I knew more about it too... I should've asked him more questions but I just kind of clam up around medical type people (even though he's very laid back) and I know I shouldn't.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM

no sex (well no sex for you
no masterbation for 20 weeks..
wow but glad to hear its managable

8 might be enough
Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
no sex (well no sex for you
no masterbation for 20 weeks..
wow but glad to hear its managable
I know. DH is going to have one seriously crabby wife on his hands.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. I had my U/S this morning and saw my midwife at 4:30.

GOOD NEWS it's not an abruption. The weird thing is it's a subchorionic hemorrhage that I've had the whole time only now it's bigger.

I'm confused because my CNM told me no sex & no orgasms so total pelvic rest THE REST OF THE PREGNANCY... (I seriously can't believe it, that is so long!) I'm wondering what good this does and why he didn't schedule another u/s? I'm honestly wondering because I don't know anything about SH.

Anybody with more knowledge care to enlighten me? Do they not go away if you still have it by 20 weeks? What happens if it gets worse?
Hi there:

I was watching this thread to make sure all went ok!

I posted earlier about my partial placental abruption. I too had a subchorionic hemorrage in that pregnancy, and the midwives think that it might have gotten bigger and triggered the abruption. I hope that this doesn't happen for you (by the way, my dd was born super healthy, so it had a great outcome). I would take the pelvic rest suggestion seriously and you might ask if they want to monitor you more closely now that they know what is going on.

hang in there!! You could also look into homeopathy and the like to see about strengthening your membranes/placenta.

PM me if you want to talk more.

Jacqueline

User Tag List