Birthing with Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I personally do pain-med-free births... but I got to thinking...

What if a mother has Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) and has an epidural during labor? I keep thinking about how they have you laying in bed, which is when SPD is the most painful. For me, rolling over in bed, (if I don't manage it correctly), my pelvic bones grind and feel like they're just going to snap into a bunch of pieces. Does anyone happen to know if it's dangerous to have an epidural and be tossed around in bed with SPD... not knowing if you're in pain or not!!?
#2 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 02:30 AM

Pushing in the lithotomy position is VERY bad for a mom with SPD. It's recommended to avoid an epidural with SPD.

Plus-Size pregnancy has a good fact sheet on it.
#3 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Pushing in the lithotomy position is VERY bad for a mom with SPD. It's recommended to avoid an epidural with SPD.

Plus-Size pregnancy has a good fact sheet on it.
Yep. I had moderate to severe SPD with my second pregnancy. I wouldn't labour with an epidural... you can't feel when you are overdoing a position. I birthed my daughter in the all fours position in the water. My SPD resolved completely after birth, but I also had chiropractic care to help with this too. It's avoid lithotomy like the plague.
#4 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 11:33 AM

Yes. Also, my obstetric physio strongly recommends that if you have SPD, regardless of whether you're birthing at home or in hospital, that you put your knees as far apart as is comfortable and then tie a piece of string around them. Put that in your wallet, and have it there in case to avoid damage being done during an epiduralised birth...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 12:20 PM

I had SPD very bad in my 4th pregnancy and I was concerned how the pain was going to affect labor.
In my personal experience once labor started I didn't feel my SPD pain at all but it made for a VERY fast 45 minute labor all at home as planned.

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#6 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I read it is good to avoid the epidural too since you may not know if there is a problem and cause damage to something. Pain can be a great indicator something is wrong.

There was a similar post a few weeks ago and no one posted they had issues with their birth with SPD.
#7 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
In my personal experience once labor started I didn't feel my SPD pain at all
my second (of four) pregnancies my spd was severe - birth no issue at all...odd I never thought about it and I birthed an almost 11 pounder

8 might be enough
#8 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had pretty severe PSD during my last two pg and it was never an issue during birth.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM

I had pretty bad SPD w/ my last 2 pregnancies (actually worse w/ my 2nd b/c I worked full-time and sat at a desk almost all day. Wow, that brings back painful memories. I could barely walk!) I started going to a chiropractor and went weekly at the end of my pregnancies, and it really really really helps A LOT! I had my 3rd in water, so it wasn't really an issue. I was also squatting in the pool.
#10 of 10 Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM

I found in a pool squatting infinitely more comfortable than in the lithotomy with epidural (which may as well have been water).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page