Dose for magnesium supplements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying a lot of herbal remedies this time around to try and stave off PTL. Come hell or high water, I want to make it to at least 35 weeks with this baby!

What is the recommended dose of prophylactic magnesium supplement to help support a relaxed uterus? I've been searching past threads and google in vain for like the past hour. I've seen a lot of references but conflicting recommendations.

Any advice appreciated.... (and calcium too if you happen to know that )
#2 of 7 Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM

I don't know for what you are wanting it for, but I take 500mgish for Migraines. They come in 250mg pills so I split one in half, or take one with a multi.

You might not need more than one pill a day.
#3 of 7 Old 01-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Dea

I take a calcium and magensium tablet everyday, 1000 mgs of calcium and 500 of magnesium, not sure if it's the same as you're talking about, but these were the amounts suggested by my midwife.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#4 of 7 Old 01-19-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I need to ask my perinatologist this week what he thinks I guess, but it looks like about 500 mg.
#5 of 7 Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 AM

You need to take Magnesium Citrate to bowel tolerence and Natural Calm Or Mama Calm is good for this. You cannot overdose on Magnesium ever. If you take too much, it will just give you diarrhea. Natural Calm has helped at least one mom I read on a testemonial avoid Preterm labor. It is directly absorbed into your body almost immedietly. I highly recommend it. I use the Natural Calm, now. I have used the Mama Calm in pregnancy.
#6 of 7 Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you herbsgirl! That looks very cool. Do you take a calcium supplement as well with that?
#7 of 7 Old 01-20-2008, 11:07 AM

A calcium supplement is highly recommended with the Natural Calm/Mama Calm. I couldnt take prenatals in my last pregnancy because they made my stomach cramp up. But I didnt know all the wonderful prenatals that are higher quality than *walmart* or *drugstore* prenatals. NOW I know, and I take SuperNutrition PreNatal Blend, it has 1200 mg Calcium. But you can also get an extra Calcium Supplement too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page