When did you make your first appointment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not pregnant, but I just wondered. With my last one, I waited until I was 7 weeks to go in. With my first I went in almost immedietly. WIth my seconed, I was about 7 weeks or so. Is it better to wait? I always like to hear the heartbeat, and I wasnt able to hear the heartbeat until 14 weeks last time (I have a tipped/retroverted uterus)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I didn't go to my first prenatal until somehwere between 12-14 weeks. I was planning on moving right at the end of the first trimester to another state so I didn't want to start care with one person and transfer care to another unless there was a reason to. I was sure of my dating (so I had no reason for a 1st trimester u/s) and was planning to decline the genetic testing so I didn't see much reason to go.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:27 PM

I was about 3 months when I made my 1st appointment.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 PM

It really depends on your individual health/risk factors. If you have no history of pregnancy loss or ectopic and no pregnancy-related health conditions then there's no reason to go before 8-12 weeks.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 PM

With #1, my first appt was at 10 weeks. This time, my first appt was at 12 weeks.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have a history of gestational diabetes, but no history of miscarraige or anything else. I am going to a dietican now anyway, so that is not a worry.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 PM

I'm going in for the first time in a few days to see my MW. I'll be 15.5 weeks. I met with her for an interview at about 12wks. She just wanted to be sure I was taking a vitamin, and that was it. We won't do an US until 20 wks, and we'll only do that one. She doesn't use a doppler, although I have access to one and listened to the HB a little before 12 weeks. I don't want this babe exposed to too much of that, tho.

I just want to add that maybe it's b/c this isn't my first, but it feels so awesome and laid back to not being seeing anyone yet. I mean, what are they going to do? Not much!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM

my mw saw me at 5 weeks or so to confirm pregnancy. I think next time I might wait. I do like having her there, because I can call with any questions or worries I have.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
We had our first appt. at 8 weeks. But it's our first time and I've been so paranoid about getting everything right. I think I'll be more relaxed about things if we ever do this again. At least I hope I will.

DD1 6 1/2 DD2 9/20/14 (18 weeks)
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM

I just found out I'm pregnant and was going to call some places this week to see if I could meet with a midwife and their ob/gyns. I don't know when they'll want to see me. Is a blood test really necessary? If not, then I'd rather just skip it and wait till the 8 week appointment. Since I'm looking for a new provider, they may want to see me sooner. I'd like to interview them all as soon as possible, anyway.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 PM

well, last time I took a couple tests which both came up negative so I went in 6 weeks because it was the only way to confirm a pregnancy! This time, I've waited a couple months.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie2 View Post
I'm going in for the first time in a few days to see my MW. I'll be 15.5 weeks. I met with her for an interview at about 12wks. She just wanted to be sure I was taking a vitamin, and that was it. We won't do an US until 20 wks, and we'll only do that one. She doesn't use a doppler, although I have access to one and listened to the HB a little before 12 weeks. I don't want this babe exposed to too much of that, tho.

I just want to add that maybe it's b/c this isn't my first, but it feels so awesome and laid back to not being seeing anyone yet. I mean, what are they going to do? Not much!

That is the thing, there is not much to do before 3 months! Scince I have been through it 3 times already, I think it would be fun to wait until Im at least 12 weeks+ to go to the doc if I get pregnant again. (Lord Willing)

I think I could almost do UC or at least just see a midwife, but my dh will not have it, so I am going to see my doctor again if I get pg. My mom said her doctor did not want to see her until she was 3 months pregnant! That was his policy! I mean of course if I had a problem or questions, I could go before then.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 PM

First appointment is this week, I'm 15 weeks now.

We interviewed midwives closer to 7 weeks, but I wasn't in a hurry to go in.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 PM

double post
Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 PM

I went in at 7 weeks (has just found out) to confirm, get my beta numbers and progesterone checked. I have PCOS which puts me at a higher risk for miscarriage due to low progesterone.

If I get pregnant again, I dont see the point in waiting forever just to see if the pregnant is viable - that would be my main reason for going in. I think there is a difference between those of us who have experienced losses, infertility (especially long-term), etc. and those who have not. If thing have been perfect for you, you may not feel the need to run in to see your OB/MW
Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 AM

With my first I went in at about 9 weeks I think, and then didn't go back for the next appointment till 2 months later. This time around I went in at what would have been 12 weeks and turned out to be more like 14 weeks.

Mommy to Layla 11/06, Eliza 5/08 and baby girl at the end of February....

Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbsgirl View Post
I think I could almost do UC or at least just see a midwife, but my dh will not have it, so I am going to see my doctor again if I get pg.
I hope he's done his research to back up his position.

I'll have my first appointment with a CNM tomorrow. I'm 16 weeks. I'm only doing it for insurance purposes. I had an appointment with my homebirth midwife at 11 weeks, and would have had one today, but she's at a birth instead.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:09 PM

I had a m/c in September so while I normally wouldn't have gone to the OB until 10-12 weeks I went in this time at 7 weeks to confirm all was okay with an u/s. I think it is dependent on what # baby this is for you, what your health/m/c history is, and how much you tend to worry. I worried much less after that 7 week u/s and being able to see the heartbeat.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm just over 13 weeks and I'll go in for my first appointment today. I did call my midwife around 6 weeks just to let her know I was pregnant and wanted to see her, I knew if I waited too long she would be filled up.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM

My GP won't even see you until you're 6-10 weeks and the first midwife appt is at 13 weeks, after the 12 week scan.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

User Tag List