glucose tolerance test when sick with cold? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the mother of all colds and was supposed to take the 1 hr glucose test this week. Does anybody know if being sick affects the accuracy of the test? I put a call in to my OB but didn't hear back today.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#2 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 AM

I just did that test and I am recovering from a cold. I don't think it really has an effect, but I wouldn't go in if you are feeling really sick. It sucks having to wait around for an hour, especially if you are under the weather.

I hope you feel better soon.
#3 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 AM

I had a really bad cold when I was originally supposed to do mine. I just showed up at her office and said "I'm sick, I didn't feel like knocking my body even further down by drinking 50g of sugar, I'll do it next month if I'm better."

She said, "Ok." That was that.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#4 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 AM

I wouldn't want to do it while sick either. Germs LOOOOVE sugar!
But, I guess you could always take a bunch of vitamin C afterwards in hopes of undoing any worsening that may have been caused by chugging all the sugar.
#5 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 05:00 AM

My husband is diabetic, and when he's sick his management is HORRIBLE. His body deals with sugar way different when he's sick. I probably wouldn't take the test when sick. I'd be afraid of a bad reading.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#6 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanoodle View Post
My husband is diabetic, and when he's sick his management is HORRIBLE. His body deals with sugar way different when he's sick. I probably wouldn't take the test when sick. I'd be afraid of a bad reading.
Yeah, when I was Googling this I came across one thing that said being sick could throw off the test results. If it were to throw them off in a way that made me look like I had GD...

And I do have risk factors - my mom has type II diabetes and my DD was a "big baby" (9 lbs 7 oz, that one I tend to at but whatever).

#7 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM

When I'm sick my levels will be slightly higher, so I'd probably not do the test if I had/were getting over an illness. But I have to point out that for me, the numbers might vary 10 pts or so. I"m sure someone will jump on and vehemently disagree w/ me here, but while a 10-20 pt margin may put you over the edge into diagnosis, the GTT numbers are really high. A person w/ normal glucose control just won't get that high.

If I had risk factors, I wouldn't wait a month to test, but of course that's just me, and based on my experience--no risk factors except age and a previous GD pregnancy, healthy weight and lifestyle, and diagnosed in the first trimester. I'm very glad I haven't been running high for the past 24 weeks!
#8 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I have to go to a separate lab to do my test, and I think I can go anytime... so if I don't do it this week (or even early this week before my OB appt on Fri.) then I think I can do it later this week or next week. I wouldn't wait a month either, good point.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page