Trouble sleeping....valerian, melatonin, chamomile, benadryl... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you use to sleep?

I have been a constant insomniac for years so I cycle thru things so I don't get addicted to one specific thing. I use mostly valerian and chamomile, but I mix in with tylenol pm like every 3 days...

And believe me when I tell you I have tried everything. Warm milk, magnesium-calcium, exercise earlier in the day, turkey...everything...

So what do YOU do to sleep?

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#2 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM

calms forte- it's homeopathic (safe in pregnancy) and never leaves me feeling like I've taken something! I also eat yogurt every night before bed, so the calcium helps too.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#3 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmomazon View Post
calms forte- it's homeopathic (safe in pregnancy) and never leaves me feeling like I've taken something! I also eat yogurt every night before bed, so the calcium helps too.
O forgot about Calms Forte. Have 3 bottles of that too..lol..but it doesn't work to shut my thoughts down enough(works good for DD tho!)

My problem is mostly getting to sleep, once I am asleep, I sleep pretty soundly, it is just racing thoughts that I can't shut down.

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#4 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 PM

How about trying some hypnosis CDs? I have one from my doula that definitely worked to put me out... though the next track starting put me back into alert ;-) so I can't use it nightly until I get a better player (was using my laptop).

I've had insomnia most of my life, too, and the same cyclical thing... sometimes I just CANNOT shut my brain down. I'll even have the experience of my *body* falling asleep (eyes closed, can't move) even though I'm aware of every sound, movement, etc. and my thoughts are still racing. Really weird.
#5 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Have you tried Skullcap? Valerian keeps me awake (really, I could use it as a study aid) and I was looking for an herb. I get mine at Whole Foods. I also use Benadryl if I need to counteract some caffine injested in the afternoon.
#6 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 AM

I've been facing major insomnia during this trimester. major. i've tried "everything" safe too. Sucks.

Its 4am and i'm still wide away and exhausted.

However i find that making myself get up and read for a hour or go on MDC for a bit (altho this is too addicting) and then going to lay down usually helps. its the tossing and turning for hours that i never ever get to sleep. The last couple nights i've gotten about 3-4 hours of sleep which is huge. The past 6 weeks its been like 1-2.

i'm dyin' here!
#7 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMel View Post
Have you tried Skullcap? Valerian keeps me awake (really, I could use it as a study aid) and I was looking for an herb. I get mine at Whole Foods. I also use Benadryl if I need to counteract some caffine injested in the afternoon.
I haven't tried Skullcap. I will have to get some!! Swwweet another alternative

#8 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 AM

I try to just take Rescue Remedy if I'm having a good night. On moderate nights I use rescue remedy plus scullcap. On bad nights I take a passion flower leaf, scullcap & hops tincture from Wishgarden herbs - Sleepy Nights for Pregnancy is the name, I think. I had bad insomnia w/ DD but since I had no babies yet I could also do warm baths etc. This time I don't have that luxury anymore.

Oh, also I notice that drinking my oatstraw tea in the day helps w/ my sleep at night.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#9 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 02:39 AM

Is valerian safe to take while pregnant? Isn't it the base plant valium is derived from?
#10 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinahiggins View Post
Is valerian safe to take while pregnant? Isn't it the base plant valium is derived from?
No, valium is not derived from valerian. Though that's probably why they chose the name.

Quoted From holisticonline:

Safety:

Valerian has a long history of exceptional safety, which has been confirmed by clinical studies. In 1995 a woman in Utah attempted suicide by taking about twenty times the recommended dose. She was discharged from the hospital the next day, undamaged.

While taking valerian, caution should be used when driving or operating machinery. Unlike Valium- like drugs, valerian is not associated with dependence or addiction. While valerian is not synergistic with alcohol, it is best to be cautious in this regard. Sedatives should never be combined with alcohol.

Although no cases of drug interactions have been reported, animal studies have demonstrated that valerian can potentiate the effect of phenobarbital and benzodiazepines. It can also aid in the withdrawal of benzodiazepine tranquilizers and sleeping pills, but this should only be done under a doctor's supervision.

There are no known contraindications to using valerian during pregnancy or lactation. Valerian should not be used nightly for longer than six months.

Poisoning may result if large amount of the tea are taken for more than 2 to 3 weeks. Do not boil the root.
Consuming large amounts of valerian may cause headache, giddiness, blurred vision, restlessness, nausea. And morning grogginess.

FDA lists valerian as generally safe. Use only in consultation with a doctor if you are using valerian for therapeutic purposes. If you experience any side effects, stop the use immediately.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page