anyone's dh catch the baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my dh is really interested in catching the baby, that is, if I don't want to do it myself. I've always pictured the midwife doing it, but I think it would be really special if he could take part in the birth this way, and I think he would love it.
I don't even know if there's anything he should know or learn before hand--both of us are big on educating ourselves about everything before we do it! I was just wondering if anyone had any information or stories to share about dads catching the baby at the birth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 04:41 PM

I dont have a story to share but I did just mention that to my dh last night when we watched a grandma "catch" her granddaughter coming out. I think it would be cool if he did that.
#3 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 06:04 PM

Dh caught ds, 2 years later he still thinks it was the best thing in his life.

I had a hospital birth with CNM and will be doing the same this time. The midwife was totally cool and wonderful with it. She did some "guiding and support" but let dh do the holding catching part.

He will be doing it again this time. I really think it was so wonderful that ds's daddy got to be the first one to touch him, it was a great experience for both of us, everyone should do it.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#4 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 06:26 PM

My DH caught Tristan. He said it was really awesome---and it was indeed a 'catch', Tristan flew out when he was born! My MW was standing next to him and was able to quickly unwrap the cord from ds' neck (it was wrapped three times), but dh had the honors
#5 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My OB told me that for liability reasons he HAS to have his hands on the baby and catch, but that DH can get his hands on as well. We really want DH to be able to catch, so we'll take what we can get.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#6 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 AM

Ummm...

DH caught our 2nd dd, but it wasn't the way you're envisioning. DD couldn't wait for us to get to the hospital, and she was born on the side of the freeway with only her dad in attendance. It was our unintentional unassisted birth! He still thinks it's pretty cool, though, and he even gets to be listed as the attendant on the birth certificate. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to anyone though...

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#7 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 04:16 AM

DH caught DD - he was the first one to touch her at all. My midwife was doign perineal massage nad support and after she crowned she shot out SO fast tah DH was the only pair of hands close enough to catch....

He'll be catchign this one too!
#8 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 12:56 PM

My dh caught dd! We had a hospital birth with a CNM, and she offered him the opportunity to do it. He was thrilled! She didn't even touch dd, except whe she and dh were playing with dd's hair as she crowned! I gave birth on all fours, so I couldn't catch her myself. Dh will definately do the catching for any other babies we have. I think it's awesome. Our midwife ruled, she showed dh how to do the perineal massage as dd was crowning too. She was very hands-off throughout the pg and birth.
#9 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 01:29 PM

DH caught both our babes though the assisted HB was much less truly catching her since the MW"s simply told him and helped him. And it was hard for him to step in at that point, since he had not been truly central to the birth until that point. That is my one "beware" about this

Next time, he caught since he had no choice! And we didn't have any plan so that is just the way it worked. This time, *I* plan to catch the baby and can't wait. Though DH might do it if need be.

Good luck. I think it's a great way for husbands/partners to be involved. TO be the first one to touch their babe.
#10 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 03:05 PM

Dh caught DD#1 and thought it was just the coolest thing. We planned on the same with dd#2 but when the time came dh was behind me in the tub offering support and I did NOT want him to move so our midwife caught her. This time around we shall see. I would like myself or dh to catch the baby but will do what is most comfortable at the time.
#11 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 05:28 PM

DS was born in the hospital, although we had planned a homebirth, so dh didn't catch him, but I reached down and took him and held him right away. DD was born at home in the water, midwife attended. DH got in the water with me while I pushed and caught dd--she came shooting out pretty fast, and then we both held her together with just her head out of the water to keep her warm. It was wonderful!
#12 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 09:26 PM

My husband said the most amazing thing in his life was catching our son. It only make sense that the first person to touch a child experiences a high of sorts. I think it's wonderful for one of the parents to have that experience instead of a service provider. It's just so much more intimate. IMO

Next time I either want myself to catch or for DH. I'm not totally attached to me catching this time. I think we'll do what feels right.

boobykin -- that sounds awesome!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#13 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 09:36 PM

I pulled dd#2 out and thought it was so amazing! This time dh wants to catch the baby which I think will be so exciting for him. After watching and being involved in the entire birth process it seems only natural for him to be there to catch the baby.
#14 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 09:38 PM

Quote:
It only make sense that the first person to touch a child experiences a high of sorts. I think it's wonderful for one of the parents to have that experience instead of a service provider. It's just so much more intimate.
My hubby caught both our kids and loved it!!! The pictures we have, his smile is practically off his face, it's so big
I read the *Methods of Childbearing* book and it was recommended in there... as soon as I mentioned it to him, he thought it was the best idea ever. We included it in our birth plan and both CNMs were cool about it!
He became quite the activist, encouraging dads to catch and to support their wives breastfeeding! After Hayden, he wanted to go door-to-door at the hospital, telling the dads and catching for those who were too chicken

~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#15 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 09:50 PM

hahamommy -- Oh, that is such a beautiful memory! I love it. I can picture this man with a smile glued on his face offering his services to the couples down the hall! Ha ha! (Oh, now I see how you got your screen name!)

Spark and her four firecrackers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page