How long does fish oil stay good once opened? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I am just curious to know how long fish oil will stay good once opened, and stored in refrigerator. I have the gelcaps, not sure if those last longer than the liquid or not. The DHA gelcaps I have now have been open in the fridge since about the middle of December, so I am thinking they may not be good to use anymore. I forget to take them sometimes, so I have alot left still.. Any info would be appreciated!

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Can I add a question to this? I just bought some a couple days ago but didn't realize it needed to be refrigerated until now...and it was opened the first day we got it. Is it ruined or still okay?

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

I would think its ok if you just opened it a few days ago..
#4 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 AM

My big bottle of Carlson's liquid says to use within 100 days of opening...not sure about gel caps but I'd assume they'd last longer than the liquid.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#5 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 AM

Whoa. I just saw this thread in the new posts area (just clarifying why I'm here, cuz I aint preggo ). I, um, didn't realise that fish oil was supposed to go in the fridge once opened ... ? I have my cod liver oil (liquid) in the fridge, but fish oil capsules are supposed to go in there, too? Dang!!! I've been taking capsules from a bottle that was opened quite awhile ago. I don't even know when. And it's just been sitting in a cupboard that whole time. : Have I done something really bad??! They don't seem "bad" at all... same ol' capsules that they always were. I wonder if they have something added in them?

Off I go to google...

Oops.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#6 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your help
#7 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 PM

My fish oil says to store in a cool, dark place and keep the lid tightly closed.
#8 of 8 Old 02-09-2008, 08:15 AM

I looked at the bottle last night, and it specifically said to keep it at room temperature. So all that freak-out was apparently for nothing. Figures. hehe.

Besides that, I don't think that they go bad that fast. I can't imagine that a bottle opened in December would have gone bad already, I mean those bottles (or at least mine) are huge. How fast can a person really go through it? You'd think that they'd at least mark it that way, if it really had to be taken in such a short time. I'd just give it a sniff and go from there. It's gotta be fine, though.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page