General 'baby-naming' question... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you name your baby a name that you *know* most people would not be able to pronounce when read
No Way! the child will spend her life correcting people and being annoyed by this... 130 69.89%
Absolutely! she'll totally forgive you 35 18.82%
other 21 11.29%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 07-15-2008, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Yay! I'm glad you went with the name you wanted! It's pretty.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#62 of 65 Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My parents loved one spelling of my name and a different pronunciation...so instead of choosing they gave me the spelling they liked and just pronounced it the other way. It was slightly anoying, but not too bad. I am just used to correcting people and always knew my name would be mispronounced the first day of school. But it wasn't too bad.
#63 of 65 Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM

That's funny, my married name also starts with "Sch" and is 12 letters long. I wonder what the other Sch-names are Feel free to PM me if you want to share names!

My maiden name is equally difficult for people (outside of Germany, Austria, or Switzerland) to pronounce or spell, so I was used to it. It certainly wasn't the worst thing growing up. My whole family had to put up with mispronunciations. Maybe if it was just my first name that was troublesome, I might have wished otherwise, but we were all in that one together.

We are naming our child something with "good old-fashioned sense" like Judy or John We just haven't picked any names yet. DH is oddly resistant to picking anything and I don't mind waiting till we meet the baby.
#64 of 65 Old 07-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Banned

I answered "other" because I think it really depends. I have a cumbersome first name and I hate it, but the reason I hate it is because it has no meaning to me, my mother, or anybody. It's not ethnically or religiously significant, it's not a family name, it's not in honor of anyone's hero. In fact, my mom heard it on a *soap opera* while she was home sick in her third trimester. Good grief. So now I am constantly asked "ooh that's a different name, what does it mean, where does it come from, are you named after someone?" I have to either evade or lie or say "uh my mom heard it on TV."

I have a feeling that if I were named after her favorite aunt or a Celtic warrior maiden or something I'd be a lot less resentful about my name even though it would still be long and difficult!
#65 of 65 Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 AM

Good names with 'difficult' pronuncation are okay, imho - at least you get proper information how to pronounce them, like Siobhan (SHIYVAO-N): Siobhan baby name pronounced

If a difficult-to-pronounce name is newly invented, there'll be no authoritative pronunciation, which means that your child will have to keep explaining and correcting others his/her whole life!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page