Posterior cervix and posterior baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-15-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 39 weeks today and for the past two weeks I've been having some nice contractions. I thought for awhile that these contractions were doing some of the early work, so my midwife stopped by to check me for dilation yesterday

My question is, is there anything I can do to coax this cervix to come around to a more anterior position?

I'm not wanting baby to come before he's ready but if the position of the cervix is making things take longer then I'd like to do what I can to fix that if at all possible.

Besides that, my mom is due to come 2 days after my edd. Due to her employer and the airline ticket, her week long visit isn't flexible. She's not comfortable with a homebirth so I'd love to birth this baby before she arrives in order to maximize the help I'll get after the birth and avoid having her witness the birth. She's a very nervous person and anything outside her comfort zone really freaks her out.

I really do know that baby will come when he's ready and that eventually things will happen if I leave it alone, but if there is anything I can do to safely help this child out of my body sooner than later I'd like to try it. If for some reason he's meant to stay in well past the edd, then we'll deal with that too.

In addition to the cervix being posterior, baby is also posterior regardless of how much forward leaning I do. I spend lots of time on my hands and knees and also trying to sit up straight as much as possible. I've had weekly or twice weekly chiro adjustments. Anything else I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Have sex! to start labor and dilate your cervix, I mean!

A good trick for encouraging a posterior to turn is to apply heat to the lower back. But I think you have to be in labor already for that. Also I've read a squat is good for giving posteriors enough room to get under the pubic bone.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#3 of 6 Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM

Craniosacral therapy can be effective at changing baby's position (posterior, breech, etc.). Both my CS therapist and my mw (who has some CST training) have used it to move babies around.

I am already getting CST every two weeks, and we have already started "talking" to baby about optimal positioning.

You can search for a provider here. Call and ask if they have experience with this. FWIW, I see a massage therapist who specializes in CST (she is very highly trained), and she charges $65 for an hour session. The cost will vary with geographic region and also what kind of provider you see (chiro, massage therapist, etc.).

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#4 of 6 Old 02-15-2008, 08:31 PM

Doing pelvic rocks can help the baby get into a better position. As for being posterior, that's not always a bad thing. 2 of mine have been posterior as well as being really big babies, and I didn't have any problems. I did have to push for a really long time (2.5 hours) with ds1, but I think that was due more to his hand up on his face than his being posterior. Ds3 came out in less than 10 minutes. And I had worse back labor w/ ds2, who was anterior (but he was also asynclitic, which is probably why.)
#5 of 6 Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. How much time should I spend on pelvic rocks daily? I'm trying really hard to focus on sitting correctly and I do pelvic rocks for a few minutes a few times a day. Should I be spending an hour or so doing these?

My midwife tells me that posterior babies aren's so bad, especially since this is my fourth, but I'm still worried. I've heard so many horror stories about back labor and I've never experienced it before. I'd much rather stick with what I know.
#6 of 6 Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 PM
spu

you can also try 'belly dancing' or anything that swirls your hips around... I did a lot of this. I'd stand in a slight squat, and just swivel my hips like I was stirring something, hoping and imagining the baby to swirl around and become anterior.

Look into different labor and birth positions too. Standing with hips extended during the first stages of labor, or before the baby is at +1, opens up the top part of the pelvis so the posterior head can start to descend. After +1, you can squat or sit, or push on all 4's to aid in the posterior descent.

good luck!

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page