Digital Pregnancy Tests.... Are you kidding?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was Aug. 12th 2007, our 8th wedding anniversary. We had a lovely lunch at Olive Garden to celebrate. The topic of discussion through out the day was whether or not I should get a pregnancy test. My normal 4 day period had lasted 9 days and now my usually regular cycle was late and I wanted to take a test just to make sure I wasn't pregnant before I started to worry that something was wrong. So before we headed home we stopped so I could purchase a home pregnancy test.

Standing there looking at all the different options I couldn't decide which one I wanted. Of course from past experiences I wanted one that contained two tests. Finally I decided on the digital test. Hey, we're pretty modern and like to be up on new technology. Besides.... digital is better right?!?! I mean surely a digital test is going to be just as accurate if not even more so than a regular test.

We got home, I took the test and moments later it said PREGNANT. Oh wow!

DH didn't want to know what it said before we went out to visit his grandparents. So when we came home that's when I told him the official results and showed him the stick. Being the engineer type person and techno geek he thought the test was kind of cool and took it to the basement to be dismantled so he could figure out just how it worked. Later he posted a picture on his blog so that our other engineer and techno geeky friends could try and figure out just what the tiny circuit board does.

On the front it has an LCD display. On the back it has two optical sensors, 3 LEDs, a battery held on by a clip, and a HOLTEK HT48R06A-1 microchip.

In the end what it comes down to is that it's a gimmick. : Congratulations! You have spent the extra money on a device that does nothing more than read the stripes on a home pregnancy test, and tell you the results in plain english. Because we humans are just too stupid to figure out that two stripes means yes and one means no!
#2 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 06:17 PM

Well hey your pregnant YAY!
#3 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM

Sheekara - I did the same darn thing! I was so irritated when I realized that it wasn't really anything special That's why this time around I bought the cheapy ones knowing that I would end up with the same result anyway.

Good luck with your pregnancy, though!
#4 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM

Too true! I dismantled mine as well (I'm a geek two) and was a bit disappointed to discover that the stick you actually pee on is the same as any other HPT. . .you can pull it out and look at the two lines yourself.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#5 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

From Amazon you can get 5 tests for $5 including shipping. And your dh could re-rig up the circuit from the digital test to read the results.

What the digital tests are really for is people who can squint at a totally blank spot on a test and see a line.
#6 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 PM

I never use them b/c I feel they are a waste of money but isnt the point to cut down on the confusion of "is that really a line? am I crazy b/c I SEE a line? Do YOU see a line??" lol. I just went through that but it turns out there WAS a line. It got darker as the days went on. but some people think digi tests will spare them that confusion.
#7 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM

but even if you do see 2 lines on a digital test it does NOT mean you're pregnant. i'm not sure how the wholr digital thingie works but i do know that 2 lines does not automatically mean you're pregnant with those tests.

anyway, congrats on your pregnancy!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#8 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 PM

Again, I have never used them do IDK but I thought those were not real sensitive so if it says "pregnant" then you are most likely are pregnant.
#9 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 PM

i'm sure if it says "pregnant you are, but if you dismantle it and see 2 lines then you might be or might not be.

oh, mrs braton, i wasn't responding to you before. i agree that they are supposed to be easier thn having to decipher whether or not there's a line. the trouble is when people take the tests apart and try to read them like a regular test.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#10 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bratton View Post
I never use them b/c I feel they are a waste of money but isnt the point to cut down on the confusion of "is that really a line? am I crazy b/c I SEE a line? Do YOU see a line??" lol. I just went through that but it turns out there WAS a line. It got darker as the days went on. but some people think digi tests will spare them that confusion.
I was just going to say the same thing.

Personally, the reason I buy the digital test isn't just so I can read "plain English", I just want to see it say pregnant or not pregnant. No questions asked- that's just what the heck the thing says.

And I have known women who've taken the "older-tech" ones and had confusing results so for them at least, in the long run, a set of digitals are less expensive than 2 or 3 of the other ones.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#11 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
i'm sure if it says "pregnant you are, but if you dismantle it and see 2 lines then you might be or might not be.

oh, mrs braton, i wasn't responding to you before. i agree that they are supposed to be easier thn having to decipher whether or not there's a line. the trouble is when people take the tests apart and try to read them like a regular test.
Oh ok. lol. I reread your post and I get it now. I was wondering why you were talking about two lines. lol.
#12 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 PM

I did a traditional HPT that DH didn't believe. So I made him buy a digital. Once he saw the word "pregnant" he finally believed we were going to have a baby. It was worth $14 to make him admit the obvious. But for monthly-could-be-negative HPTs I would just trust the lines.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#13 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM

I took both a "regular" test and a digital one. I actually bought 3 (different brands and types) because I wanted to be absolutely sure! I'm still having trouble believing the things were positive!

I read a post recently about the environmental/humane aspects of pg tests. One thing it made me wonder is if the "regular" ones may be better for the environment b/c they probably don't have a battery or any heavy metals in them...

Just a thought...

(BTW - I bought a digital test when DH and I first started TTC 17 months ago. When I took it last week it gave me an error! It was expired!)
#14 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Just like Crazydiamond said.
Basically the strip that gives you one line or two is exactly the same in a digital test as it is in a non digital. The digital uses 3 tiny LED lights to light up the lines just enough for the optical reader to see them. The chip on board says one line = NOT PREGNANT, two lines = PREGNANT. They have just as much possibility of being wrong as their non digital counter parts. I can't help but think that if the 2nd line is really faint that the optical sensor that is suppose to read that line is going to have a difficult time determining if there is a line there or not.

Celticqueeen, when I read your comment about buying the digital just to see it say Pregnant or Not Pregnant I had to laugh. That is just as good a reason to buy them as any.
#15 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Technically, you could say that ALL pregnancy tests are gimmicks.

After all - if you wait 9 months, you're gonna get your answer one way or another.
#16 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM

I'm not trying to be snarky, but what exactly is your complaint? I'm confused. It's true, digital tests are not based on the two lines, and it does take away the confusion of the line/no line/evaporation line scenario.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
#17 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congrats!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#18 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 12:49 PM

After getting a BFN at the doc's office, I went out and bought a digital test because I simply did not believe the doctor. The digital test said "pregnant". I think the digital tests are alot better at reading faint lines than we humans are. I would use one again if I were testing before AF was supposed to show. It takes the confusion outta of it.
#19 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 12:52 PM

Check out this website, peeonastick.com. it explains more about the digital and how you can have 2 lines there and still not be pregnant:

http://www.peeonastick.com/hpt/digitalsecret.html
#20 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 PM

I want to add that with my 11 mo that is playing at my feet I did a dollar store test that was very faint positive but I was questioning it so I bought a digital to confirm and it came back as not pregnant. Well I beg to differ as she is sitting here.
I don't know if they have gotten better in the last 20 months but I can say that I didn't get one this time, just my basic dollar store test that came back very quickly as positive.

Hugs
Jessica
#21 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM

False negatives are pretty common on many different types of test. It depends on the sensitivity of the test (so if your dollar store detected and hcg of 25 but the digital was 50...), on how long you have been holding the urine and/or the hormone level in your urine at the time, if your urine is diluted, if the test is older or expired or slightly faulty, etc.

With both my daughters I had false negative tests. With my first I had a + at home and a negative the next day at the doctor's office because my urine was diluted. I waited about 45 minutes, took another test, and got another faint +.
With my second, I got a very faint + and wasn't sure it was real. The next morning with first morning urine I used 3 different tests (with the same cup of urine). One was the second First response that was in the box, one was an Answer Early, and one was a digital. Of the three, only the digital test was positive. I went to the lab within the hour and had a blood test. Hcg was 46.
#22 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmommy View Post
I want to add that with my 11 mo that is playing at my feet I did a dollar store test that was very faint positive but I was questioning it so I bought a digital to confirm and it came back as not pregnant. Well I beg to differ as she is sitting here.
I don't know if they have gotten better in the last 20 months but I can say that I didn't get one this time, just my basic dollar store test that came back very quickly as positive.

Hugs
Jessica
Dollar store tests are sometimes more sensitive than store bought. I bought cheap-o test off of ebay and they detected my pregnancy at 9 DPO where the store brands took another day to detect it.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#23 of 25 Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
I did a traditional HPT that DH didn't believe. So I made him buy a digital. Once he saw the word "pregnant" he finally believed we were going to have a baby. It was worth $14 to make him admit the obvious.
YEP!! Here too. When pregnant with ds, I took a regular test the line was really faint. I told dh it was a positive but he didn't believe it. I even showed him on the box where it said one line may be more faint than the other. He STILL didn't believe me. I could have kicked him for not believing me and ruining the moment for us. I made him buy a digital test the next morning BEFORE he left for work. It took about 30 seconds for the PREGNANT to pop up. HE needed to see that. This time around he was all over believing me even though the line was faint again. He's a quick learner

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#24 of 25 Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 AM

Too funny, now we know! LOL

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#25 of 25 Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 PM

Oh yes, I was an obsessor who pulled my digital tests apart, and FWIW I have ALWAYS had two lines and only one positive digital test, so I *do* think they do something a bit more than just "look for two lines" since if that was the case I would have had my baby years ago.

I took 5 tests with this pregnancy on 10 and 11 dpo, 3 FRER, 1 equate and one CBE digital, after about 10 minutes of waiting the equate finally looked *somewhat* positive, the FRERs were very light and left you saying "are you sure you see a line?" after about 5 minutes and the digital was glaringly clear, it was only after the digital that I actually allowed myself to believe. IMO digitals have their place and are much more complex than "yeah, there are two lines".

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page