Odds of having a girl? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I currently have a 2 1/2 year old boy, a 1 year old boy, and am pregnant with what they think is a boy. I love my boys and would not trade them for anything. They are my life! But I would like to know what it is to have a girl. What do you think the odds would be, for me to have a girl if I tried again in about two years? I had a doctor tell me that I might as well give up on having a girl because all of my kids are from the same dad. Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM

I have had two boys and this one is a girl. Timing was different this time around. Two days before ovulation instead of the day off. Good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 07:33 PM

DP had 2 boys from a previous marriage and we are now pg with a girl. There are a couple of things you can try to increase your chances of a girl when you ttc. I can't remember them all but here are a few (got it from a british mw who had photocopied it out of one of her books):
1) No climax for the woman when dtd
2) Its best to dtd a few days before ovulation and not dtd anymore until ovulation is over
3) DTD missonary style

A fourth step is a special douche but I can't remember if its supposed to be vinegar or baking soda - one is for ttc boys, the other for girls. We followed the 3 steps listed above but not intentionally and now we're pg with a girl. Coincidence? IDK but for you I'd say its worth a shot.
#4 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM

AFAIK you've got a 50% shot every time, no matter what.

Charlotte

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#5 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM

actually your chances of concieving a girl are always lower...
In humans the secondary sex ratio at birth is commonly assumed to be 105 boys to 100 girls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_ratio

Quote:
Even in the absence of sex selection practices, a range of "normal" sex ratios at birth of between 103 to 107 boys per 100 girls has been observed in different societies, and among different ethnic and racial groups within a given society[2]. Darwin, in his The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex, cites a sex ratio of 120 boys to 100 girls for Jewish communities in 19th century Livonia, where infanticide is not historically documented, and the means for pre-natal sex determination did not exist.
so its not actually 50-50...probably more like 45-55 girls to boys (as don't not as many boys miscarry...as they are the weaker sex I've heard after two of the same gender the chances are the next would be the same was between 70-80%...dh does the family geneology - large families...they seem to go in waves girl girl girl boy boy boy

8 might be enough
#6 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidaShara View Post
AFAIK you've got a 50% shot every time, no matter what.
Actually, the folks who run the numbers on such things have found that's not true. The more of one gender you have in a row, the less likely you are to have the other gender on the next child. They think maybe some people are primed to only allow one gender or the other to implant, or might have micro-genetic anomalies that mean that more male than female fertilzed eggs are unable to implant...

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#7 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM

I don't know about odds, but just wanted to say I think perhaps some men are genetically predisposed to passing on one sex or the other. There have not been any females born to the men in my husbands family for over 100 years! I am not holding my breath for having any girls (although I've been hanging on to a couple newborn girl outfits 'just in case'), but good luck to you!
--K

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#8 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have two boys with hubby and am pregnant with a girl...also by hubby. I'd tell your Dr. to get his facts straight.

This site explains it very well and it puts the myth to bed that you have little chance of having a girl after 2 boys or more.

http://www.in-gender.com/XYU/Odds/Gender_Odds.aspx

"Odds of Having a Girl

The odds of having a girl seem decrease after having each boy, but only very slightly. Even after 3 boys, you are only 6.4% more likely to have a 4th boy than a girl."

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#9 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 PM

wow so then the real odds..if you have three boys already would be what about 62% that's cool
Quote:
The odds of having a girl seem decrease after having each boy, but only very slightly. Even after 3 boys, you are only 6.4% more likely to have a 4th boy than a girl."
mind you that site says two things one that if you have three kids its a 25% chance they will all be one sex...
If you have had 2 or 3 boys, you are only about 2% to 6% more likely to have another boy.
keep hope alive!

but I still scratch my head on the stats...105 to 100 is not 50/50 or 51/49...

8 might be enough
#10 of 12 Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I have two boys with hubby and am pregnant with a girl...also by hubby. I'd tell your Dr. to get his facts straight.

This site explains it very well and it puts the myth to bed that you have little chance of having a girl after 2 boys or more.

http://www.in-gender.com/XYU/Odds/Gender_Odds.aspx

"Odds of Having a Girl

I have two boys and am pg with a girl, all the same dad. Check out the site she linked to b/c they have lots of ideas and regimens for swaying the gender of the baby. I did the diet and did get a girl.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#11 of 12 Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 AM

I know several families that had many of one gender in a row and then many of the other gender (if they kept going). One had 2 girls, then 4 boys, then 3 girls, then a boy. One had 4 girls and then a boy. Another had 3 girls and then a boy. Yet another had 3 boys and then a girl. My dad's family had 4 boys, a girl, and then another boy. My mom's had 3 girls and then 2 boys.

I do know two families that had 4 boys and 5 boys respectively (they were not trying for a girl), but they are both very happy with all their boys and it's not an issue for them.

So it could easily go either way, based on the families I know IRL. However, if I were you I would make peace with the possibility of having 4 boys before trying again.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#12 of 12 Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 AM

I have heard that some men have a gender-dminate sperm. A friend had 4 boys in a desperate attempt for a girl. No luck. Another friend had 4 girls, then 4 boys, then a girl. So.....there you go.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page