GD test on Tues .. what to eat for breakfast?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my last PG, I was determined that I was NOT going to fail the GD test, so I skipped breakfast. Not the smartest idea, but at that time, my work schedule would have made it impossible for a 3 hour test, and I did not know I could refuse a 3 hour test, if need be.

Move forward to this PG ... I'm carrying twins, and my appetite tends to be RAVENOUS (I think I've gained 10 lbs since my last OB visit) I'm will be doing the 1 hour GD test, and I've already decided that IF I do not pass (never failed before), I will refuse the 3 hour test, and just check my sugar at home.

Now ... the question is .... what to eat for breakfast that day?? DH usually fixes me eggs, or I'll have some yogurt, and cereal, etc. Are these OK, you think?? Seems like I read somewhere here that the more protein the better on test day.

Thanks, mommas!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#2 of 10 Old 02-22-2008, 01:37 AM

my midwives suggested that i eat 'nothing with carbs' on the morning of the test. i had two or three scrambled eggs w/cheddar, and drank water.
#3 of 10 Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 AM

:

That is what my MW suggested as well, and I ate almost exactly the same thing before mine. My reading was like 86 or 89 (I can't remember exactly) after the hour...

Good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 02-22-2008, 12:06 PM

Scrambled eggs and water here as well. I *think* I passed - it's been 8 days and I haven't heard anything, so I am guessing that there is no need to schedule the 3 hour.

And I don't know how much it helps but I made a couple of trips to the bathroom with my toddler and lifted him, did squats, etc. That is cheating, I know...but it seems more true-to-life than just sitting there quietly like they tell you to!
#5 of 10 Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM

Protein is a safe bet (and I'd suggest lean proteins like eggs, chicken breast, nuts or beans). I'd avoid sugars - including things like simple carbs and fruits/juices.
#6 of 10 Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post
And I don't know how much it helps but I made a couple of trips to the bathroom with my toddler and lifted him, did squats, etc. That is cheating, I know...but it seems more true-to-life than just sitting there quietly like they tell you to!
Phew .... no lifting the toddler, here! I'm getting too big, and it hurts my back!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#7 of 10 Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 PM

GD test? What is that, when do you take it, and is it a usual test to have? We're having our first baby in August and I have my 2nd appt. this monday and I have no idea what that is which makes me feel bad and like I still haven't read enough, pooh. Thanks
#8 of 10 Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer_lc1 View Post
GD test? What is that, when do you take it, and is it a usual test to have? We're having our first baby in August and I have my 2nd appt. this monday and I have no idea what that is which makes me feel bad and like I still haven't read enough, pooh. Thanks
It's a screening for gestational diabetes where you drink a sugary drink and then they test your blood sugar an hour later. It's not usually done till around 25-28 weeks along, so you have lots of time to read up on it yet It is pretty standard but as with any test, it is up to you whether to take it or not (the implications of not taking it differ depending on your caregiver and place of birth)
#9 of 10 Old 02-23-2008, 02:46 AM

my midwife said to avoid sugary things and high-glycemic fruit for actually a few days before the test, and to eat high protein, too.

Still haven't made up my mind whether to take the test, though.

busy mama of three
#10 of 10 Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyinmama View Post
my midwives suggested that i eat 'nothing with carbs' on the morning of the test. i had two or three scrambled eggs w/cheddar, and drank water.
Can I drink milk instead of water? I'm a milk-a-holic. Or should I avoid milk and just stick with water?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page