Prescription medication for nausea/vomiting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any experience with such things? Recommendations? Side effects?

I am 16wks and barely functioning. I've been sicker AFTER 12wks than I was before, so I can't see this getting any better. All the remedies I've tried so far have made me throw up.

I have an almost 4yr old to look after, & DP who has MS, & our pets, and I am really struggling. I have no help and I'm miserable, I can't go on like this.
#2 of 13 Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 AM

Hey there, so sorry to hear you are so sick! I know how that is. I took phenergen and then zofran with my first pregnancy, neither of which helped with the nausea or vomiting... I had to just wait it out.

With my second pregnancy I took zofran again and it helped incredibly. My morning sickness wasn't as severe to begin with but I was a new full time student with a 1 year old and needed the help.

If you take an antiemetic you need to of course talk about it with your care provider but one thing I'll say for sure, DRINK PLENTY OF WATER and possibly use a stool softener or something because it will make you SOOOOO constipated.

We are beginning to ttc and I have been taking milk thistle twice a day for two months now to prepare... it's suppose to help prevent morning sickness before it starts... we'll see...

I hope you feel better soon!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#3 of 13 Old 03-05-2008, 01:00 PM

not prescription, but my mw told me to take Unisom (a sleeping medication). You may want to ask your mw/doc about taking it. I was struggling to keep liquids down, and it REALLY helped a lot.

I'm assuming you've already tried ginger capsules, eating protein before getting up in the morning (and letting it settle), Sprite (a lifesaver for me ), etc?

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#4 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 AM

I had heard that some doctors in the US suggest half a Unisom tablet taken with a dose of Vitamin B6. Together, this is basically the same as Diclectin, the anti-nausea medication they use in Canada. Diclectin is very common in Canada, and most women find that some dose will work to alleviate their symptoms.

Diclectin was available in the US under a different name (I can't remember what it was) until sometime in the 80s. A bunch of women sued the manufacturer though and they pulled the drug from the market to avoid the negative publicity. It's the most widely studied drug in terms of use during pregnancy though, and is considered totally safe. I've heard suggestions that they are planing to re-introduce it into the American market. So many women here swear that it was their absolute lifesaver during pregnancy.

- Julie
Mom to Libby, Penny & and expecting a new baby on April 30th.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#5 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 08:50 AM

DIY Diclectin (1/2 a regular Unisom + 50mg B6) worked alright for me during my 3rd pregnancy, but #4 I absolutely had to get a prescription drug just in order to keep water down. I tried a few but ended up using generic liquid Zofran. Zofran has very few side effects. For me it never made me constipated either. Only thing is I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get our insurance to cover it because it costs a fortune.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 12:04 PM

I had HG and I took the disolvable Zofran tabs. They didn't make all the nausea go away, but they helped me function and eat/drink a little bit. I did realize that I had to take it almost continuously though or it didn't work as well. If I waited to take it until I felt bad, it didn't help at all.

I also did the Unisom in the late afternoon when I was feeling the worst and then to help me sleep at night. I noticed that the more/better rest I got, the better I felt.

I hope you find something that works!

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#7 of 13 Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 AM

I had horrible MS for the first 18 weeks, and it's now tapering off. I hit a period after 12 weeks when it seemed to get worse so I wouldn't lose all hope that it won't get better soon.

I had Phenergan, which worked up to a point. It made me incredibly tired so while I might not have felt as sick, I still wasn't able to function very well. I eventually stopped taking it after about 3 weeks because of this.

(I didn't try Phenergan until after the B-6 and Unisom tablet trick didn't work. Neither did ginger, etc.)

What I found worked best for me was to identify my triggers and then do my best to avoid them. I found that being too cold made me feel worse so I stockpiled blankets around the house. Anything that might make me motion sick was also bad so I stopped watching any television and limited my computer time to no more than 15 minutes at a time. I also tried not to move around too much.

I also found that staying as hydrated as possible made me feel less crappy so I forced myself to drink tiny sips of water or gatorade every 20 minutes.

Hopefully some of this helps or gives you some new ideas to try out.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#8 of 13 Old 04-29-2008, 08:39 PM

I'm dealing with INCREDIBLE ms too, and have been doing a little research. I'm going to try benadryl to see if it helps as its another "DIY" over-the-counter help. I can't get into the doctor for at least a few more weeks (long story - grr), so this is about my only shot.

I've heard conflicting stories about the B6. Some say it works WONDERS. Others say it makes things worse. Its probably one of those things you have to try to see if it helps.

Ginger has also helped me a bit.
#9 of 13 Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 PM

zofran is all that has ever worked for me. Even with it I still have nausea and vomiting, but it is MUCH better than without.

If your insurance company won't pay, or won't pay for an adequate prescription, get it filled at Costco. Their prices are dirt cheap (I spent $200 for 150 8mg pills) compared to everywhere else (such as target at $1100 for 30 8mg pills).
#10 of 13 Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 PM

Like Naturemam, Zofran is the only thing that even kind-of worked for me. I believe there is a generic version of it out now, so hopefully this will lessen the insurance company fights to get it!
#11 of 13 Old 05-15-2008, 01:38 PM

Diclectin is the only thing that kept me out of the hospital though it didn't make me not sick.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#12 of 13 Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Hi-you should try acupuncture--I swear by it
#13 of 13 Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Please, check out the information at www.helpher.org Wonderful wonderful support for when nothing else is helping.

Wishing you a much much easier time!

Spark and her four firecrackers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page