Hypnobirthing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 02-24-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone try this? I'm not sure I am strong enough for it but it looks good!
#2 of 43 Old 02-24-2008, 06:13 PM

I asked our Bradley teacher about it before we started birth class, and she said it's great -- it's just that it's one set of techniques for coping with pain, and it's nice to have a whole range of options (positions, birth tub, equipment, or whatever) at your disposal. I was glad to have had so many possibilities, and reading a lot of great birth stories helped I think -- I'd be curious to hear from others, though.

sweetheart to b , mama to G , W , and expecting : baby 3! in April 2010
#3 of 43 Old 02-24-2008, 06:17 PM

It didn't work for me.

Aaaaagh! Nobody flame me! I know that it's worked for lots and lots of mamas, but by the time my contractions kicked in, I found out there were just some things in life that I am not able to hypnotize away.

So, on the down side, the birth experience was incredibly painful for me. On the upside, though, hypnobirthing taught me the focusing techniques I needed for a natural childbirth.

So I think there's definitely value in it- I just wish they wouldn't tout it as a pain-free birth experience.
#4 of 43 Old 02-24-2008, 06:20 PM

That's interesting to hear because my MW said to me the other day that the people she knows that felt it did not work were people who were really expecting it to make birth pain free.

She said it's really just going to allow your to relax deeply and center but that I should still fully expect to feel my labor.
#5 of 43 Old 02-24-2008, 06:28 PM

we're doing both bradley and hynobirthing classes to cover all of our bases.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#6 of 43 Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 PM

I have the at home course - and I just can't get past certain lessons. I am trying though. For whatever reason I am not worried about delivery and I feel like as long as I can stay calm and relaxed we will be fine.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#7 of 43 Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
I have the at home course - and I just can't get past certain lessons. I am trying though. For whatever reason I am not worried about delivery and I feel like as long as I can stay calm and relaxed we will be fine.
is that the book? I didn't know there was a home course
#8 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 AM

I've done hypnobabies & honestly loved it. My 1st birth while using it (4th baby) wasn't pain free, I was induced but went w/out the epi - however it allowed me to cope with the awful pit contractions & I believe kept me from getting the epidural. With my 5th baby (just had her 3wks ago tomorrow) it helped a lot - I have a very fast intense birth & there wre times right at the end where I *was* able to concentrate enough that I felt nearly no pain.

I'm not sure what kind of hypnosis you all are using, it sounds like the Mongan method? I don't know much about it other than it's not as comprehensive as kerry Tuschhoff's Hypnobabies method.

Julia ~ Massage therapin, Earth lovin mama to 6 beauties!
#9 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshMama View Post
is that the book? I didn't know there was a home course
I am actually using Hypnobabies not Hypnobirthing - not sure what the difference is.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#10 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 AM

I used the Mongan method but didn't practice as rigorously as I should've. I was induced and took the epidural--I agree w/ the pp who wrote that there are some things youcan't hypno away! I loved the relaxation CD though--I lost my original one and reordered and so miss my old one's boring, relaxing voice.

The main thing I dislike about it is the idea that if it doesn't work it's the mom's fault, i.e. you didn't do it right. I think that's a terrible attitude to promote because it could lead to a mom feeling like a failure, when IMO any birth that results in a healthy baby is a successful one!
#11 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM

I did HypnoBirthing (Mongan method) and it worked beautifully. No pain except a mild stinging when my daughter's head came out. I highly recommend it. When I was pregnant, I practiced my relaxation exercises every single night. By the time I gave birth, I was totally programmed!
#12 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post

She said it's really just going to allow your to relax deeply and center but that I should still fully expect to feel my labor.
YK, I took Bradley classes with DS (not hypnobirth). I did not EXPECT labor to be pain-free, but I was OPEN to the possibility, and I also tried all throughout the pregnancy to NOT focus on labor being painful. I knew it could be, but I also knew it might not be. Does that make sense? I had a pretty painless birth. I mean, ring of fire hurt like I don't know what, but the rest of it - it was NOT PAINFUL.

The nurses kept asking me to rate my pain and I kept telling them to stop using that word. I was not in pain, I was uncomfortable, but nothing like PAIN. I mean, I had a kidney stone about 2 years later, and that, my friends, was pain. Labor - not so much.

Every person's experience is different, but I think we can set ourselves up for a better experience by anticipating that it might NOT be painful.
#13 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 PM

That's inspiring! I'd love for it to not be painful. I've already been thinking about it. I almost believe I can choose pain if that makes sense. You can observe it without letting it overcome you.

With my last, as soon as the MW transfered us to the hospital I remember screaming and cussing thinking all the while, shut up it's not that bad! Almost like I felt I was supposed to play the part? I mean, it did hurt but like a switch, it hurt 10000X more from the second I left my house. I know what a woman laboring at home acts like and I know what a woman laboring in a hospital acts like. I know that sounds silly but it affected me more than I would have imagined.
#14 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post
YK, I took Bradley classes with DS (not hypnobirth). I did not EXPECT labor to be pain-free, but I was OPEN to the possibility, and I also tried all throughout the pregnancy to NOT focus on labor being painful. I knew it could be, but I also knew it might not be. Does that make sense? I had a pretty painless birth. I mean, ring of fire hurt like I don't know what, but the rest of it - it was NOT PAINFUL.

The nurses kept asking me to rate my pain and I kept telling them to stop using that word. I was not in pain, I was uncomfortable, but nothing like PAIN. I mean, I had a kidney stone about 2 years later, and that, my friends, was pain. Labor - not so much.

Every person's experience is different, but I think we can set ourselves up for a better experience by anticipating that it might NOT be painful.
That's how I've been thinking of things. It may be really painful, it may not be. It may take hours, it may take days. I think that an important thing to learn is surrendering to the experience.
#15 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well... let's see, did it work? I guess it depends what "work" means. I had prodromal labor with contrax every 5-6 minutes for 4 days. Hypnobirthing definitely helped me get through this. But by the 4th day, I started throwing furniture around the house, so I guess the "deep relaxation" had started to wear off. By the time active labor started and I got to the hospital, I demanded an epidural.

I would recommend it to anyone, though. I imagine if I didn't have the hynobirthing techniques I may have ended up in the hospital much sooner and gotten induced. I'm very happy with the way my birth turned out.
#16 of 43 Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 PM

I did Bradley w/my first 2 and actually became a teacher. It's a good program but I needed to move on. It wasn't enough. I took the Hypnobirthing classes but felt like it didn't really provide good self hypnosis techniques. I loved the hypnosis in class but that's no good if I can't do it at home, kwim?

So I ordered Hypnobabies, had an amazing birth, and am using it again. There is a difference.

Search the forums - there's tons of info and input. I can't shutup about it
#17 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 10:59 AM

I am planning to use Hypnobirthing with this pregnancy. For me it is not so much about pain free but rather intervention free and more controlled and at peace with the birth experience. For me I have had two preterm labours and hypnobirthing has been shown to help hold off preterm labour. Also the fear release that is part of hypnobirthing is so valuable. Without letting the fears go hypnobirthing may not be as effective. It will be so good to let go of the fears I have during this pregnancy.
#18 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM

I'm trying it again this time around even though I home studied the hypnobabies course with my previous pregnancy and it didn't work for me at all. I couldn't even begin to relax and the cd's just annoyed me during labor. I enquired about this on the yahoo site and they said it was because I didn't believe hard enough that it would enable me a painfree birth. Honestly after hearing so many different labor experiences I went into labor with no expectations. I didn't expect it to hurt or be painfree, it was going to be whatever it chose to be, I just wanted to be equipped with the tools to handle it.

Unfortunately it was a horrible labor that ended up in a transfer to the hospital and ultimately a c-section.

Still, I'm willing to try it again.
#19 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 PM

That's really unfair for anyone to tell you it didn't work because of something you didn't believe enough.

If you are willing to try it again, you must feel like it was a good tool in some way?
#20 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 PM

I took a HypnoBirthing class during my first pregnancy, and don't recommend it for someone who wants NCB. It doesn't include any real NCB information, and just tells you that as long as you relax, you won't have to worry about interventions. We walked out of the last class believing that a comfortable birth was possible, but having no idea how to accomplish that. I wound up needing to do a ton of research and work to learn better hypnosis techniques to prepare for the birth. The birth went well, but I kept thinking, "I know this could be easier!" So for my second and third births, I used the Hypnobabies Home Study with great success.

The differences between the two programs is night and day. Hypnobabies was created by a woman who taught Bradley for a decade, so it contains all that wonderful NCB information that is so empowering! (As OpenHanded's Bradley Teacher said - "it's nice to have a whole range of options (positions, birth tub, equipment, or whatever) at your disposal." Hypnobabies teaches all of that, PLUS the same self-hypnosis techniques used by people undergoing surgery without anesthesia - very powerful stuff!) And it includes extremely deep hypnotic skills that allow women to come instantly into hypnosis or deepen their hypnosis, while remaining fully mobile. HypnoBirthing doesn't have any of that. It teaches light guided relaxation and some visualization, and doesn't discuss much more than the basics of childbirth. I DEFINITELY needed more than that to have a comfortable birth!
#21 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM

I'm pg with mt 5th and will be using hypnosis for the 4th time. I wouldn't keep using it if it didn't work. I've used both Mongan and Hypnobabies and prefer Hypnobabies.

I love the effect daily relaxation has on me and my pregnancies. I love how much easier and more comfortable it makes the birth. I've given birth painlessly using hypnosis (and no drugs), which is really my ideal.

Of course it doesn't make my labor sensations go away, and I wouldn't want it to! I love feeling my body working. Instead of feeling contractions as painful, I feel them as pressure, tightening, or lifting up. They are big, powerful sensations, but they don't hurt.

Lest you think I'm some sort of lucky freak, I had a very painful birth with my first and got an epidural at 4 cm because of it.

Practice, commitment, choosing to use your tools during the birth, and believing that you can have this kind of birth are essential components to a maximally comfortable birth.

Here's a page that talks about why hypnosis works for some and not others:

http://www.birthnaturally.org/hypnoworks.htm

Over 150 hypnosis birth stories:

http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...th_stories.htm

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#22 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:00 PM

OK so between hypnobabies, hypbirth and hypnobirthing(book) what is the difference?

The class I am planning on taking is based on the Mongan book. Yay or nay?

I have the hypbirth kit available to me to use. Would I be better off to buy the hypnobabies kit?

Does anyone know the real differences?
#23 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM

I used hynobirthing with my first (my 2nd came so fast I didn't have time to blink). I went to classes, read and practiced and I think I sorta was expecting (hoping) that I would have a pain free birth, just like in the movies we watched. I labored for 23 hours and I can say that yes, it was uncomfortable (not pain mostly--read more), I know it extremely helped--I concentrated on staying completely relaxed, focused on each "surge" as it came using the imagery that we learned, and not having/watching a clock (very helpful). I can say that I know for sure it helped a great deal because there was a point during the labor (I think I was around 6-7 centimeters dialated) where I was having these bearing down urges--I could not control them at all and my midwife at the time (sadly) didn't understand what they were all about (I researched and learned all about it after the birth . She told me NOT to allow my body to bear down--to try to breath through it. In other words, I was completely fighting against my body, not relaxing, and sorta freaking out thinking that I'm going to hurt my baby bearing down since I wasn't 10 centimeters. Now this HURT. To me, I can compare using hypnobirthing techniques (relaxed and managable) and and not using them (extremely painful) during the same birthing experience. Even if you don't have a "pain free" birth using these techniques, I think it still can be a powerful tool and can help a lot of moms have a more comfortable birth.
#24 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:09 PM

Here are some run-downs on the differences between Hypnobabies and HypnoBirthing.

http://www.birthnaturally.org/hypnobirthing.htm

http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...pnoclasses.htm

I don't know about HypBirth.

My suggestion is that you figure out what you're looking for, examine your options closely, and pick the one that meets your needs. Course contents are listed on the Hypnobabies, HypnoBirthing, and HypBirth sites.

I chose Hypnobabies after taking a HypnoBirthing class because I wanted tools to be in hypnosis while still moving around. I also wanted to know how to produce natural anesthesia rather than just simple relaxation.

HTH!

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#25 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM

ANother question- I can't seem to find where to buy hypnobabies. Link?
#26 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Limette,

I'm sorry that I don't remember your story from the Yahoo! site. I'm also sorry that anyone there had the audacity to tell you that you "didn't believe hard enough". In more than 6 years on that site, I've never seen anyone say anything to that effect, and assure you it was definitely not from anyone having to do with Hypnobabies! There are many reasons that a woman may experience pain during her birthing, but "not believing hard enough" is not one of them!

The most common reasons I've seen personally for women (who have completed the course as written and practiced regularly) feeling discomfort is: 1 - There is something wrong. - Hypnosis will not mask pain that is letting you know there is a problem that requires medical help. I've seen this in action with a friend who also couldn't relax during the scipts and kept popping out of hypnosis until she got so annoyed she transferred to the hospital much earlier than planned. It turned out that her BP was through the roof and her baby was going into distress. Once that was addressed, and they were safe again, the hypnosis worked beautifully for her, and she went on to have an uneventful, comfortable vaginal birth.
2 - Someone or something is directly undermining or interfering with a woman's approach - Even a very well-meaning doula or midwife can directly effect a woman's comfort by saying things like, "I know this is the hardest work you'll ever have to do, but just let the pain bring you your baby." Women are very suggestible during birthing, and even more so while in hypnosis, so suggestions that imply that she is in pain, or even worse, NEEDS pain to make progress can really derail her efforts!
3 - Unresolved issues that were too big for the Fear Release to handle. - Some women will need additional, professional assistance in handling past abuse or equally serious issues before they are able to fully relax and trust their bodies during the intensity of birth.

I highly recommend that you give Hypnobabies a call and let Kerry know that you'd like to discuss your experience and figure out what may have interfered. She understands where you are coming from, because her first birth experience was not at all what she planned, wanted or expected. She is very accessible and open to women with questions or concerns and will want to talk to you, so please don't let the ignorant response of someone on the public board be your only help in determining what happened with your birth.

-Susan
#27 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 PM

The class I am planning on taking is based on the Mongan book. Yay or nay?

I didn't really have a good experience with th HypnoBirthing (Mongnan) class. I have no doubt that it is a better choice than no relaxation practice at all. But since it takes the same amount of daily time and energy (and often more money) to practice than Hypnobabies, I think most people would get more benefit from the much more powerful hypnosis techniques taught by Hypnobabies. And learning how to combine NCB techniques (movement, positioning, nipple stimulation, etc.) with your hypnosis skills played a huge roll in making my Hypnobabies births go smoothly. I also have found the Hypnobabies skills to be invaluable in everyday life. I use them pretty much every day.

I have the hypbirth kit available to me to use. Would I be better off to buy the hypnobabies kit?

Does anyone know the real differences?

The main differences I've seen between Hypnobabies Home Study and Hypbirth are:

1. Childbirth education - Hypnobabies is a full childbirth education course that teaches all aspects of pregnancy and birth. Hypbirth includes only hypnosis.

2. Hypnosis skills - Hypnobabies and Hypbirth both include an excellent instant hypnosis technique called the fingerdrop, that makes them much more effective for most people than methods that don't include such a technique. However, Hypnobabies takes it a huge step further by including another "setting" for the fingerdrop that teaches women to use their hypnosis while easily moving around and working with their bodies. This means that Hypnobabies moms are less likely to be found in bed with their eyes closed for long stretches of their births, potentially slowing things down and causing malpresentations (meaning baby gets in a weird position and has trouble moving down.)

3. Ease of use during the birth - Both Hypnobabies and Hypbirth have scripts specifically designed to be used during the birth. Hypnobabies' Birth Guide simply re-inforces all the skills you already know and offers reminders of how and when to use your skills, interspersed with empowering affirmations and relaxing suggestions. It never counts you up from hypnosis and can literally be put on "repeat" and played for the entire birthing if you want. But I've heard from multiple HypBirth mamas that they found the birthing script confusing, difficult to use and too much work during the birth. It has different tracks to be used for different length birthing waves. But since you can't be sure how long it is going to last, it can be hard to choose the right one.

Finally, it is much easier for Hypnobabies birth partners to learn how to most effectively assist the mom, because there is a whole birth partner's guide, full of information for them. There are also instant hypnosis prompts that they can use to instantly deepen mom's hypnosis and comfort.
#28 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
ANother question- I can't seem to find where to buy hypnobabies. Link?
http://www.hypnobabies.com/product_i...8c53122ecefa97
#29 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 PM

Than you so much for the REAL answers~!

I think the hypnobabies would be great for me. I was planning on spending that much at least on hypnobirthing classes but I don't believe they're taught by a hypnotist- a yoga teacher. I may just stick to the yoga and do the at home course.
#30 of 43 Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
That's really unfair for anyone to tell you it didn't work because of something you didn't believe enough.

If you are willing to try it again, you must feel like it was a good tool in some way?

No just that there are so many people that say it worked for them that I'm willing to give it one more chance. I had an unsupportive midwife and a somewhat clueless (lol) dh at my last birth and maybe the atmosphere wasn't great for hypnobirthing. I have a doula this time so I'm hoping that might factor in. Who knows...lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page