"Medical" Marijuana during Labor - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 198 Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziwozony View Post
i don't have time to read all the responses right now, but just wanted to chime in that i've had phases of moderate pot smoking throughout my life & have used it medicinally for an upset tummy or headaches or similar such tings. BUT, i used to get really severe period cramps & actually found that it did not help with that at all. in fact, i found myself focusing on the pain more. for me, it was not good for that kind of pain at all. although in california i believe you can get a medial marijuana card for that specific complaint, so it must work for some women...
It also greatly depends on what strain you smoke. There are 1000s of diiferent pot strains with different genetics and effects, each very different. Some make you sleepy, others make you hungry, some numb your body while others make you extra sensitive, some wake you up in the morning, and others help you forget and be distracted.

I hate it when people say "I tried pot and it didn't work" or "I ttried pot and this happened that I didn't like" because I'm sure that if we had access to the strain names when we bought it and researched when strain families we were looking for I believe that pot would definately relieve almost any symptom. It really is like saying you don't like apples if all you'vwe tried are the ones off the tree in your back yard. Unfortunately people doin't know this, don't ask, and are often unwilling to pay the extra money because they believe that the pot is just stronger when really it is completely different that the cheap stuff most people have access to.

If you seek out the information about strains it really is easily accessable, and if you demand to know the strain names from your dealers you are eccentially empowering the whole pot community to take responsibility for what strains are bought and sold and how effectively it is communicated. You discuss medications effects with your pharmasist, discuss you medication with the dealer too, if they don't know the answers tell them they should either find out or they are losing a customer. Often dealers just don't tell you because they think you don't care and don't understand that you are treating something instead of using it to get high like most of their customers.

So that brings up the conversation of what strain would be most effective for labor. But you can't answer that because everyone wants something different for labor. One mom may want pain relief, while another may want internal focus, or higher senstivity to better connect with the birthing epereince, while another mom my want to zone out so she can let her body take over while she can still "sit back" and observe the miricle.
#122 of 198 Old 11-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic Chrissy View Post
I'm not attacking you in anyway
For smoking a pack a day I believe this argument is valid but not for a few joints a day or at the end of a healthy pregnancy.
it is valid anytime you inhale any smoke. it deprives the placenta of oxygen. period. a few joints, inhaling smoke from a bon fire or wood stove, smoking cigarettes. regardless of how long or short your breath is held, the placenta goes through varying degrees of oxygen deprivation (which directly affects the baby). in extreme cases, oxygen deprivation makes your risk of placental abruption far higher, in addition to preventing the normal amount of oxygen carried to the baby.

having said all that, i'm certainly not against smoking mj at all in pregnancy or otherwise. the fact of the matter is that inhaling any type of smoke poses an inherent risk to the baby. now, i'm not saying that risk will necessarily be detrimental in all cases, just that the risk is there, and it should be taken into account. the small amount of oxygen deprivation may be outweighed by the benefit of relief that the mj provdes for the mother in labor, while the low birth weight associated with smoking daily cigarettes, as well as the greater risk of placental abruption would be a risk that certainly outweighed the mother's desire to have her nicotine fix. what it comes down to is an individual risk/benefit analysis. what's right for one mama may no be right for all. i certainly am of the opinion that a mama should be able to choose and assess her and her baby's individual risk (assuming that they are well informed).
#123 of 198 Old 11-09-2008, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think people have this vision of smokers holding their breaths as long as they can to get the full effects of the smoke, this just isn't always true.
yeah, we stop doing that in high school

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#124 of 198 Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 PM

I work in a hospital and they test everyone and report everyone to child protection who tests positive for any kind of "illegal" drug, no exceptions. In my state they will hold your baby at the hospital and they will take him or her from you. As much as I'd love to try mj, I won't because I can't stand the thought of any state agency being involved in my life and my children. sad though, that some helpful silly herb causes such a spaz for beaurocracies.
#125 of 198 Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 AM

I was reading the BBC News article someone posted and I just couldn't help laughing at this statement especially:

"Tobacco from manufacturers has been enhanced and cleaned whereas cannabis is relatively unprocessed and therefore is a much dirtier product."

The whole article had me in disbelief, but that line just tickled me pink!

I have to say I had never thought of using mj for labor, but now that it's been brought up, I really can't see any reason not to use it....as long as it is medicinal use--a very light dose, as someone mentioned, because I would want to be alert. I know that when I smoke, it often makes me very meditative and relaxed and I usually come up with amazingly soothing revelations that affect my life on many levels during and after the "high." It seems like a perfect compliment to hypnobirthing, which I"m looking into trying.

However, I quit smoking a while back, before was preg and thought it best not to smoke while preg for 2 reasons. The first is that i was not absolutely sure it was okay, even tho I thought so, and I KNOW it's better than eating, say, a Big Mac or even breathing in the air at a high traffic intersection probably. And 2. My DH has ill feelings toward mj becasue of how he's seen past friends abuse it and when I did smoke, I felt like i needed to hide it and it made me feel dishonest and paranoid--sucky since it was such a great occasional supplement for me before. But if I can explain it to him and have his support I think I would be able to have a positive experience from it.

I really can't see how using a responsible dose of mj could be seen as diff than something like rescue remedy (which reminds me to put that on my hospital bag list) or aromatherapy. And to compare it to an epi is just crazy IMO! Matter of fact, I find it unbelievable the way a hospital would deal with a baby will a small amout of weed in their system but they advocate and even PUSH all these super harmful drugs into the systems of mothers and babies!!! What a world we live in!!!

As far as legal repercussions.... When I was younger there were some friends of friends of mine who were daily smokers--complete potheads to the fullest--all day every day smokers. When the girl gave birth to her baby after she'd continued her normal mj use during pregnancy, they were questioned and there was a big ordeal at the hospital, but they did not lose their baby. I find it hard to believe that one could actually lose their baby from finding a small dose of mj in their system if that's the case, but yeah, I"m sure it depends on the state. I'm in MI, tho, and it's pretty conservative out here and mj laws are pretty strict.

One last thing...as far as what's a natural birth and what's not. My reasons for wanting a natural birth are not so I can say I did it completely natural, or even know that myself, but because I know the harm that's done to the natural high when drugs and other interventions are introduced into the mix (and the other side effects of those drugs). If mj or another natural herb or supplement didn't interfere or actually enhanced the experience, I can't see why they shouldn't be used--whether you'd consider that a "natural" birth or not.
#126 of 198 Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretae View Post
I work in a hospital and they test everyone and report everyone to child protection who tests positive for any kind of "illegal" drug, no exceptions. In my state they will hold your baby at the hospital and they will take him or her from you. As much as I'd love to try mj, I won't because I can't stand the thought of any state agency being involved in my life and my children. sad though, that some helpful silly herb causes such a spaz for beaurocracies.
I just wanted to add my experience. I work in the postpartum unit of a large hospital and they DO test everyone. It's routine. All moms get blood drawn after birth and a drug screen is included in that. Moms are not notified specifically that they are testing for drugs. It's included in the consent forms you sign at admission. Anyway, we did have one baby taken away but the mom tesed positive for cocaine. There was one mom that was definitely positive for MJ, and this mom and her DH were smoking in the room. The nurses giggled and rolled their eyes and went on with their day.

That said, I stopped using MJ in the 3rd trimester with both kids. I'm paranoid, and I'd hate to have a transfer and get that one nurse who makes an exception and calls the one cranky social worker.

CPST & mom

#127 of 198 Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 AM

On March 21, 2001, the Court decided by a 6-3 vote that state hospitals cannot inform police of the drug test results done on pregnant women without their consent.

Ever heard of

Ferguson, Crystal v. City of Charleston, et al.

I think people who give advice and information should research what they say.

I also think people have the right to be informed....

um let's all make it a point to learn something.

Try going to norml.org

and read the information that is unbiased and the government hasn't the ability to taint=)
#128 of 198 Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizionz View Post
On March 21, 2001, the Court decided by a 6-3 vote that state hospitals cannot inform police of the drug test results done on pregnant women without their consent.

Ever heard of

Ferguson, Crystal v. City of Charleston, et al.

I think people who give advice and information should research what they say.

I also think people have the right to be informed....

um let's all make it a point to learn something.

Try going to norml.org

and read the information that is unbiased and the government hasn't the ability to taint=)
The Anti-pot crowd here at MDC thinks norml.org is biased. They spew drug war propaganda left and right and wont look at research , or controlled studies, Im guessing because *gasp* they might end up changing their minds that MJ is the devil!

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#129 of 198 Old 03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

The thing is, anything that decreases pain also has the chance to screw up the delicate balance of hormones you're experiencing in labor. My midwife says that you go to a really low place during labor so that you can go sky high after labor, if that makes any sense. I'd be worried about screwing up that endorphin rush, which is so important for mother and baby bonding, preventing PPD, all that.

Plus, as others said, what if you transferred to the hospital and they found out? If you really need pain relief (and don't want to try the other natural methods like a birth tub, massage, ect), just have a regular medicated hospital birth.

ETA: A lot of people a few pages back were talking about other herbs or supplements used during labor or pregnancy such as castor oil, black cohosh, red raspberry leaf, ect. Here is the main difference I see between those things and MJ, they're not mind/mood altering. And I don't think any of them will have an effect on your endorphins either.
#130 of 198 Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
The Anti-pot crowd here at MDC thinks norml.org is biased. They spew drug war propaganda left and right and wont look at research , or controlled studies, Im guessing because *gasp* they might end up changing their minds that MJ is the devil!
Fwiw, I'm not a big fan of that site and I am not anti pot. I think it's a valid treatment for several medical problems, including hyperemesis in pregnancy. I've used it myself during pregnancy #2 when I couldn't keep anything down and nothing else worked.
#131 of 198 Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretae View Post
What state are you in so I know never to move there.

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#132 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 12:04 AM

:

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#133 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Banned

You know, I still can't wrap my mind around why someone would want ANY pain relief in labor if they are going for a natural birth. The whole point is the experience, the bad and the good. Why would you want to risk messing with the complex cocktail of endorphins and hormones during labor? Pot is a drug too.
#134 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
You know, I still can't wrap my mind around why someone would want ANY pain relief in labor if they are going for a natural birth. The whole point is the experience, the bad and the good. Why would you want to risk messing with the complex cocktail of endorphins and hormones during labor? Pot is a drug too.
Obviousely this thread is being revisited so I'm not sure if we've gone over this before or not. but....(please don't take this in a snarky way)

According to what you are saying than women should consume nothing during labor. No tea, tincture, no honey, no other herbs or even food, a woman should go into labor and trust that her body is prepared with everything it needs. Technically whether a mother is hydrated or not can affect the outcome of te labor(however in the oppisite way) but in the same sense.
A mothers body tells her she is thirsty and she drinks. A mothers body tells her she is hungry and what she is hungry for and she eats. However when a womans body tells her that she is tense and it is found to a mind relaxation problem that is preventing her from progressing past a cetain point it is the same as dehydration, hunger, or even a stagnant birth setting, there is a need that needs to be met in order for labor to progress normally because of how our minds alter normal labor.

The more that I think about it marijuana isn't a pain killer at all, it is a mind relaxant that unlocks the tension in the mind and thus relaxs the tension connected in the body, the same as a massage, hands just don't fit through our ears but smoke does.

If a woman wants nothing but the experience of birth with no outside influences then it would just make sense to have water birthing chambers that cut off all the senses except for the ones the body produces itself, not music, or visualzition point, not light levels to control, or contact with a hubby, no encouraging voices, or supportive pillows, all of these are outside influences that depending on the woman may have enough of an impact to affect her horomone and endorphin levels.

Not to mention that there are regular marijuana users who incorperate their herb into their day the same as food, water, excercise, tea, because they depend on it for some reason or another to keep them balanced and healthy so their horomones can work properly and not be interfered with by homones caused by emotions they can't turn off such as in the case of depression. I guess I'm seeing it like a diabetic needing their medicatin even though they are in labor, or somebody who depends on thyroid medication. A long labor may warrant a need for these medications depending on how their deficiency is effecting "normal" labor horomones. It doesn't mean they are taking away from their labor experience it means they are allowing themselves to experience it for what it is and not what their medical problems turn it into.

I just thought I would throw in a few new spins on the subject for us to discuss....
#135 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

I'm sorry but, there is no tea or tincture that is the same as a psychotropic drug. Food isn't even in the same realm as pot. I've mentioned that earlier in the thread. Not even close to a valid comparison.

I also have a hard time believing marijuana truly keeps anyone balanced and healthy, I think it does the opposite. But that's just my opinion. I do think it has valid medical uses, but daily use is generally not one of them except in cases of hyperemsis, cancer treatment, glaucoma, ect. I think it should be used as the drug that it is, like narcotics. I also do not think it should be used for the treatment of mental illness. But that's a whole other issue, and I am well aware many disagree.
#136 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but, there is no tea or tincture that is the same as a psychotropic drug. Food isn't even in the same realm as pot. I've mentioned that earlier in the thread. Not even close to a valid comparison.
Yes there are! What about Skullcap? Catnip? Motherwart? Elevated levels of oxygen can affect how people behave differently than normal. Caffine is another one. Even cammamillia(why can't I ever spell that word!) is psychotropic.

I really think that people believe the affects of pot are strong and very influencial, when in reality different people react differently to different herbs in different doses, and develope different levels of resisitance. For example some people may feels very out of it, while others may just enter a state of relaxation equivical to curling up on the couche with a heat pad in your pj's, and sometimes when your world is falling apart and about to crumble you need that time out to recenter yourself. Others may be able to release their tension and clear their head just like after a meditation or yoga period.

You have to remember experienced medical marijuana users are able to know how to adjust their doses to meet the immediate need, as well as last as long as possible, so we keep doses on the low side. Some only smoke a joint combined throughout the day in small doses, not bowl after bowl to trip out and play video games all night long and eat pizza.
#137 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Banned

Those are not mind altering drugs. They do not produce a high or work on brain chemistry and serotonin the same way. Just not the same thing. Caffeine, maybe could be considered mind altering, but barely, and it has to be taken in much larger doses than MJ would to effect the brain at the same level. And again, it does not work on the brain in the same way at all.

This is not something I'm going to change my mind on, I'm sorry to say.

I know quite a few medical marijuana users. I do live in California after all.
#138 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

did someone say Marijuana was a narcotic?
According to the government which classified it as such or what?
As far as I've always thought narcotics are more along the lines of cocaine etc...
Marijuana a plant that is generally not processed if the grower knows what they are doing.
Now I am confused..
BTW saying that caffeine MAY be mind altering but barely is ridiculous, it is known to be highly addictive and while I hate coffee and soda and generally all other caffeine products (except for some chocolate yum!) I can say that having worked in a coffee shop it is amazing how miserable people will be before they get that first sip of their precious coffee and then magically the world is right again.

Also I have had some pretty intense teas my friend brought back from India and Nepal and they completely rivaled pot in their mind/body alterations. I would say one of them was even more intense than taking a few puffs from a bowl.

Daily use has some wonderful benefits as well. Would you rather down a glass of wine or smoke a pipe because the effect you are going for is the same. Allowing your body and mind to relax after a stressful day. Just because people go about it differently doesn't make it wrong.
I also have an incredibly difficult time getting to sleep and sleeping soundly at night without smoking a bowl before I go to bed...Before I was pregnant I would smoke before bed every night. There have been periods where I haven't smoked at all for months and the difference in my sleep and waking rested were amazing. I imagine that is a mental thing, but I would much rather do that than take some stupid pill that I could quite possibly get addicted to.:
#139 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

I did not say marijuana was a narcotic. I said it should be treated in the same was as one: as in, it's a serious drug that should only be used in specific cases. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

I'm LDS (Mormon) and I do not drink coffee or tea or alcohol, only the occasional soda. I am well aware that caffeine can be addictive. That's a moot point in this discussion. Caffeine does not make you hallucinate, it does not make you "high" for the most part. It's a moderate stimulant that can be used in high doses to have a stronger effect. It's just not mind altering in the same way.

As for whether using substances to relax is ok or not, I don't think that's the point of this thread at all. This thread is about medical marijuana in labor.
#140 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

I also have a hard time believing marijuana truly keeps anyone balanced and healthy, I think it does the opposite. But that's just my opinion. I do think it has valid medical uses, but daily use is generally not one of them except in cases of hyperemsis, cancer treatment, glaucoma, ect. I think it should be used as the drug that it is, like narcotics. I also do not think it should be used for the treatment of mental illness. But that's a whole other issue, and I am well aware many disagree.
"I think it should be used as the drug that it is." You don't understand what a serious drug is if you consider marijuana a "serious" drug. By treating it like a narcotic you are putting it in the same category as cocaine, heroin, meth, crack, oxycodones etc.

It is a naturally growing plant that while you might think it has hallucinogenic effects you are far from correct in that statement. Marijuana does not make you hallucinate in any way. It is not LSD or mushrooms or peyote or anything like that. I take it you have never smoked it, which is fine with me but please don't go talking about its effects if you have not experienced them yourself.

There is a huge difference between a "high" which both caffeine and marijuana produce and a hallucinogenic effect which marijuana does not produce.

I don't think many woman would even consider using marijuana during labor if it was actually a hallucinogen. Not the best time to be tripping out when you are trying to get a baby out, but because that is not what marijuana is or does you see so many woman trying it during labor..
A woman who is best friends with my SIL and uses the same midwife smoked during her labor when she was 1-2cm and then went to the hospital and gave birth. She said it greatly aided her in relaxing through those early hours. I'm not saying that would be good for everyone but I fail to see how it is different than other PPs have pointed out, from drinking a strong tea or having a glass of wine..

Incidentally, I don't know if she had a blood test post baby but no one said a word to her about having marijuana in her system. IDK though, we are in MA and it is not exactly high priority on government radar.
#141 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I did not say marijuana was a narcotic. I said it should be treated in the same was as one: as in, it's a serious drug that should only be used in specific cases. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

I'm LDS (Mormon) and I do not drink coffee or tea or alcohol, only the occasional soda. I am well aware that caffeine can be addictive. That's a moot point in this discussion. Caffeine does not make you hallucinate, it does not make you "high" for the most part. It's a moderate stimulant that can be used in high doses to have a stronger effect. It's just not mind altering in the same way.

As for whether using substances to relax is ok or not, I don't think that's the point of this thread at all. This thread is about medical marijuana in labor.
The point of this thread is discussing marijuana as a tool during labor, and during labor reaching a state of relaxation vs being intoxicated to block out sensation are two very different things, just like taking cough syrup and driving vs downing a twelve pack and driving home to recover.

Speaking of which in all my years in the marijuana culture openly as an advocate I have yet to meet a medicinal, or responsible user who has ingested enough THC to hallucinate. as crazy as this sounds the closest I've come to hearing of anybody who actually comes close to hallucinating is when you here from teenagers or young adults who use the drug and have and excuse to act childish and stupid, and are able to say "I'm so high, hehehehehehehe let's play airplanes." It's not because of the pot, it's because the pot opens up existing feelings and brings the core out, which in this case is an immature kid wanting to play and get attention from somebody.
Now you compare that to a mom with Parkinsons who is well rounded, and loving, and responsible, but is so cluttered by the stresses of her life and discomfort. She can ingest 10 times that amount of thc that first time as that teenager to treat her symptoms, but because the core person underneth is a great mom that is what comes out when the rest melts away, freedom to do the most important job.

You want to compare Pot to Cocain and say it should be treated as if it were just as dangerous, and I say that you are gathering your facts from experiences from illrepresenting sources. You may not consume "addictive" substanes but the next time you are baking please rememebr that nutmeg is a very powerful and addictive hallucinogen which can very easily become just as abused and can create just as bad of a picture depending on who uses it as marijuana.

When I have this baby in June you better believe I will have my marijuana right next to all my other birthing supplies from my own doula bag, as well as my herbal treatments for incase of emergency, that way it is there if I need it, especially since a hospital is nowhere in my plans and I need to be responsible for my choices to birth at home by preparing for anything I can handle.
#142 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

#143 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 03:31 PM

wow and i thought me smoking a cigarette every once and a while was bad i PERSONALLY dont use pot but i guess if you want to thats up to you but id be very upset if i was in the hospital and i could smell it seeing as i am very highly allergic

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#144 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
wow and i thought me smoking a cigarette every once and a while was bad i PERSONALLY dont use pot but i guess if you want to thats up to you but id be very upset if i was in the hospital and i could smell it seeing as i am very highly allergic
I thought all hospitals were non smoking period? I would be extremely impressed if anyone could sneak a smoke of anything in a hospital. weed cigarette, catnip...
#145 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM

well i was back reading and reading that people are saying mj isnt addictive or a Serious drug
it IS a Gateway drug 15 and 16 year olds do NOT normaly go out and say hey i think ill try heroin today because it sounds fun and i am talking for personal experience
my sister started smoking pot at age 15 and it progressed to heroin by age 18
and i know if she never smokes pot she would never have to search for a better high i might make ALOT of people angry buit i have see this first hand and my sister is now award of the state for the next 6 years because of drugs i DO NOT condone any type of drug ciggs pot caff beer any of it
that being said its totally different to have 1 glass of wine with dinner then it is to drink bottle after bottle till you are so far gone

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#146 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
well i was back reading and reading that people are saying mj isnt addictive or a Serious drug
it IS a Gateway drug 15 and 16 year olds do NOT normaly go out and say hey i think ill try heroin today because it sounds fun and i am talking for personal experience
and i know if she never smokes pot she would never have to search for a better high i might make ALOT of people angry buit i have see this first hand and my sister is now award of the state for the next 6 years because of drugs i DO NOT condone any type of drug ciggs pot caff beer any of it
that being said its totally different to have 1 glass of wine with dinner then it is to drink bottle after bottle till you are so far gone
I completely empathize with your sister's problems, my older cousin has dealt with heroin addiction and while she is better now there were some rough periods of her stealing from family, disappearing months, a brief stint in jail etc...Interestingly enough though she NEVER smoked marijuana prior to her heroin days...

My point? Is that unfortunately a personal experience does not prove anything. What is proven is that if Marijuana were truly a gateway drug then half the people in this country would be addicted to something far stronger than marijuana.

I don't understand the one glass of wine as opposed to drinking bottle after bottle analogy though? Do you mean that there is a difference between taking a couple puffs from a bowl as opposed to smoking an entire bag of weed? I agree with you there!! Big difference.

Most people as they mature but continue to smoke marijuana end the whole "see how high I can get" thing and move into the smoke a bowl for relaxation, like a a glass of wine... I don't think anyone here is saying a woman in labor would be smoking bowl after bowl.
#147 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post
I thought all hospitals were non smoking period? I would be extremely impressed if anyone could sneak a smoke of anything in a hospital. weed cigarette, catnip...
Oh yeah I'm planning a UA homebirth, but even if I do transfer they don't test here anyways and if they did and anything resulted we would stand up and fight it.
#148 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 04:06 PM

I work in Mental Health Services and it is TERRIFYING the number of young people whose symptoms of mental illness (principally depressive and schizoaffective or psychotic type disorders) began after they began using cannabis. The people i speak to are well-educated, in the most part recovered or recovering people, some of whom are medicated and some of whom are not. All are strong, self-aware, determined people. For a few (i would say about 5%) they feel the cannabis use definitely came about as self-medicating behaviour, to counteract their symptoms, but for the rest, they feel the symptoms only began after the marijuana use did.

The use of marijuana is not something i would personally consider, in labour or otherwise. I smoked it a little in University and like alcohol, it did nothing for me. My brain doesn't get high or stoned or drunk on artificial (not my own) substances. I can be so drunk i can't physically stand and all i'm thinking is "you're so dumb, now you can't walk and all your problems are just as they were. And this is not fun." - seriously i think there's something weird with my brain chemistry in that area. I smoked cigarette's on and off an never became addicted either - some people are more resistant to chemical addiction (i am bizarrely addicted to tactile experiences though, my own endorphins definitely do work on my moods and feelings).

But if a woman DID decide to use any drug medicinally during labour, i would think it would be super-important to know exactly where it came from. Like had selected the strain and grown it herself or gotten it from a knowledgeable and trusted source. GIven the number of people i know between 18 and 35 who have serious mental health problems they personally trace back to marijuana use (older people seem to be less affected, perhaps because the commercial plants have changed in recent decades?) i shudder to think the damage that might be done to the baby by the mom smoking even a small amount of randomly aquired marijuana.
#149 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh yeah I'm planning a UA homebirth, but even if I do transfer they don't test here anyways and if they did and anything resulted we would stand up and fight it.
You shouldn't have to fight it!!

Slightly off topic, but I am always furious when I think about harassing a mom for having THC in her system (which could be up to a month old as we all know) but so often as soon as a woman gets to the hospital they want to pump her up with all kinds of drugs far more harmful than mj will ever be...

I am sure this has been said before but every time I think about it it makes my blood boil!

Spend your whole pregnancy being as healthy as possible, don't do this or that or eat this or drink that or smoke this but hey!! As soon as you walk in the door we have the finest selection of high test pharmaceuticals money can buy. Oh and they are completely fine for your baby no effects at all! We wouldn't lie to you! But if you smoked weed at all. watch out! You are an unfit parent and we will take your kid away!
#150 of 198 Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I sounds like your sister has an addictive personality that could have been manifesting in a different form that wasn't so noticable because it was't so illegal. For example when someone rubs their ears or another comforting place to release endorphins because of prior association with that action, like a mother stroking her hair, or a teddy to cuddle. However that gateway action becaome muted and she went to find a replacement, and once that replacement muted she found another.

Back years I was a cocain addict, yes I smoked pot first, and even smoked pot while smoking crack because the [pot brought it's own effect that coke couldn't replicate. But I didn't smoke it becasue I needed something stronger than pot. I smoked it becasue I sabotaging myself and and hurting because of an inability to deal with my past. There ae so many layers to just how screwed up I was before and where it all came from, but now years later I have worked through all that shit, I've learnt life lessons about myself and stopped comparing. I've grown developed and matured. As I bettered my self I no long needed crack and drinking and cigarettes, and even pot, and didn't withdrawl, didn't crave, didn't relapse, because the trigger was gone and I had been strong enough to work through it and rediscover myself and my control over my life and how I live it. And you know what The only one I still use is the pot. I don't use it like I did before, or even for the same reasons. I use it becasue when researching what I needed to reach a state of balance that maintained the flexability in my life, THC was the most appropriate form of aid, that met my needs, and was worth the factual "side effects".

In natural animals use specific herbs and plants to self medicate and treat all the time, not by study but by instict and listening to their bodies to meet their needs to the point where they will consume a normally known poisonous plant and be treated for the only illness it can treat without killing the host.

When I crave veggies I eat them, When I crave water I drink, when I crave vitamine c all I want is oranges and lemons. And when I've had enough my body tells me and I stop. Yes my body tells me sometimes that what I need to regain my composure is a MJ, no I am not addicted, I can go weeks or months without a singal puff no problem, and come across times where I need a few joints to get through a really bad day, but that's not because I have a dependency on a drug that alters my horomones! It's because I had an unforfilling hospital birth after I believe medical professionals about being prepared for my first birth, and then I had to fight everyone whole frowned upon my choice of alternative childrearing, and conditioned me that my body was wrong. I fought every day for 2 years with post partum depression that nobody but my husband acknowledged or tried to help me with, and one day I realized that all I needed to get better was to turn off all the outside voices in my head so I could hear myself think on all 5 "channels" in my head processing at once.

Yes my horomones are fucked up, but not because of pot, because of people.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page