"Medical" Marijuana during Labor - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 198 Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'd also like to recommend a documentary made by BBC - Should I Smoke Dope?

she illustrates well that the different compounds have different effects.
(remember she is getting _pure_ thc and cbd intravenoust, and can not really be compared to smoking marijuana.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cAFRAX3Gs
#182 of 198 Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM

I think it is wonderful that you want to use this miracle plant in your delivery. I have only birthed in a hospital, so I was not able to use it during birth as I would have liked to. The only thing I can tell you is that I saw on an "Independent Lens" one night. It was about doc humes and his last child was birthed whilst the mother had apparently specifically timed hits. she described the birth as orgasmic. i have not read the responses, and I am sure you have been blasted by people that don;t know any better, so s.... nak sry bout typos. here is a link to a page about the doc...

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/doc/
mamabear7 likes this.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#183 of 198 Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 PM

I haven't read the entire thread, but it would make me paranoid...

in my state OR, if you haven't had any prenatal care and then you show up in a hospital to deliver, they do do a drug test. They won't take your baby outright, but you will have a social worker on your case...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#184 of 198 Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
re: mental illness

thc is not the only active compound in cannabis,
some cannabinols, or cannabidiols, seem to have anti-psycotic effects and thus 'eliminate' this trait of the thc. etc.

again, different strains have different mixes of the individual componds. some with much thc, some with little, etc.

here is a short article about the difference in two of the main types; sativa and indica. http://www.marijuana-seeds.net/Choos...r-Indica-.html

this one was better: http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/strains.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16612464
Thank you for this!
#185 of 198 Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Not for me. And yes, I've smoked pot and never really enjoyed it!

For those of you using the 'well, me and 14249 people I've heard of used it and my baby is fine' argument: I don't buy that line with formula use and I don't buy it with MJ use, either!!!
oliviajune likes this.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#186 of 198 Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
Not for me. And yes, I've smoked pot and never really enjoyed it!

For those of you using the 'well, me and 14249 people I've heard of used it and my baby is fine' argument: I don't buy that line with formula use and I don't buy it with MJ use, either!!!
But no one is saying that. We're saying that in scientific studies no birth defects have been associated with marijuana use. Not so with formula, which is linked to numerous health problems in numerous studies. I haven't seen many people here rely on anecdotal evidence in this case.
#187 of 198 Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 AM

Tried it. No problems here. Can't say it reduced the pain at all! But I think it brought on my labor...
Old midwives trick for relaxing enough to 'invite' rushes... roughly equivalent to that glass of red wine....
I don't think it will hurt...
I also don't think it is strong enough to distract you from the matter at hand. labor requires your full attention and will snap you out of any organic haze.
good luck!
mamabear7 likes this.
#188 of 198 Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 PM

First of all...
I'm so glad to live in Canada where a little ganja is no biggie (to hospitals, police, governments, and majority of people).
I didn't smoke during my pregnancy but did smoke a little pinner at the early signs of labour. It doesn't "wack" you out anymore than labour would, therefore no doctor or nurse would be even slightly suspicious (what a fear based paranoid society we live in).
It did help me rest a bit and calmed down the labour pains (much like when it works wonders with bad moon cycle pains), but the only bad thing I would say is to be cautious of the "burnout". It can make you even more tired at a time when you need lots of energy.
But jeesh guys. Com'on... WAY WAY better for mama and baby than anything they'll give you at the hospital. And just for the record, I was just as present giving a natural water birth at the time of dilevery as I would have been had I not toked 16 hours prior.
mamabear7 likes this.
#189 of 198 Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

My concern is just that like any other form of pain relief, it could interfere with the natural endorphins. I agree it's much better for you than narcotic pain relievers or an epidural though.
#190 of 198 Old 05-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Not true. My sister used pot through all of her pregnancies and told her OB upfront all 3 times that she is a toker. She smoked during labor too before going to the hospital.

The only thing that happens in the event of a hospital birth is a social worker will come by after you are released to check your home out and make sure you have everything you need for baby, like diapers, bed,etc.. (This is in NY State so I guess it would depend on the state but I also think meth and other drugs are a much larger problem for social workers). The social workers she has seen have been very easy going about it all but they do have to check it out just in case. I have never heard of anyone getting their kids removed or anything more serious than a home visit for just using pot, pregnant or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all in green View Post
You might want to consider what could happen if you had to transfer to the hospital for some reason in the midst of labor or immediately after the birth. If you or the baby were found to have marijuana in your system it could lead to serious reprucussions. Just something to think about.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#191 of 198 Old 05-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Ya. No it did not interfer with the natural endorphins at all. Those natural endorphins make you more high than any joint on the planet could. And like I said... If you smoke in the early stages of labour it would be completly worn off before transitional labour. Depending on how much you consume (assuming it's only a little) it would be worn off in a couple hours.
#192 of 198 Old 05-25-2009, 05:38 PM

babe will be here soon, I'll let you all know how it goes.
#193 of 198 Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM

I was excited to read this post, and am considering using MJ in my own birth.  I live in a state, Alaska, where using MJ in private residences is legal by state laws (no medical MJ card needed), however this does directly contradict federal laws.  I must confess I read the first 5 pages and then skipped to the end.  I have a degree in biochemistry and this is what I understand so far about how MJ would affect labor.

MJ causes the release of oxytocin.  Oxytocin is the natural molecule that progresses labor.  It causes dilation and softening of the cervix, which is necessary for labor to continually progress.  I don't believe that MJ would actually lessen the pain, and depending on the strain (indica vs sativa) and % THC and other cannabadiols it might actually increase the pain.  Some strains cause whats known as a body high and cause you to be more sensitive to what your body is feeling.  Other strains can cause your heart to speed up (bad for baby because it might cause problems with baby getting enough oxygen).  Now, compared to pitocin, MJ might be a good option.  Pitocin mimics oxytocin, but doesn't cause the same biochemical cascade that oxytocin does.  When oxytocin is released, it causes a sequential release of endorphins.  Endorphins are those molecules responsible for the exercise 'high' and can negate some of the pain of labor.  Pitocin doesn't cause endorphins to be released, which is why so many women need an epidural after starting pitocin, the pain can be too much!  MJ would cause the natural molecule oxytocin to be released and allow for the sequential endorphin high, progressing labor and allowing for the body's natural painkillers to be released.

I've heard many women mention having a glass of wine or alcohol, and I'm not sure about those effects.  Some of the books I've read suggest consuming alcohol to stall a labor, not progress it (ie. if you need to drive to the hospital).  The effect might simply be for relaxation, not progression of labor.  Stress can stall labor on its own, so this might be the reason alcohol is suggested.

As for MJ compared to tobacco, I strongly thing that tobacco is worse.  While smoking both equate to carbonizing plant matter, which does create some harmful molecules, MJ isn't mass produced and contains additives the way that tobacco does.  Carbon Monoxide (CO) is one of the main detractants of smoking MJ, at any time, not just during pregnancy and labor.  The way to avoid being exposed to too much CO is to simply take quick hits.  delta 9- THC, one of the main psychoactive ingredients in MJ bonds almost instantaneously in your lungs, so inhaling and quickly exhaling allows you to avoid binding CO.  The CO binding is bad for you, it binds much more strongly to your blood cells, and won't come off until the blood cell dies and is replaced.  Oxygen, or O2, is a bulkier molecule and drops off wherever your body needs it.  If you take quick hits, less CO binds to your blood cells, and you can negate much of the damage done by "holding a hit in".

I am also worried about the possibility of drug testing and CPS involvement, so I'm not sure what I'll do when the time comes.  Thanks again, for all the posts, and I'm going to keep researching to see what my options are.  Best of luck to everyone!!

mamabear7 likes this.
#194 of 198 Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Ah, I forgot.  Some studies have been done in Jamaica where women smoke MJ for nausea all through pregnancy, and during labor.  These studies are probably the best to review because there is no government sanctioned prohibition of MJ.  When reading any study you need to check the experimental methods sections because frequently high doses of MJ need to be given to animals to elicit any negative response.  Keep in mind that Jamaica is also a country that has a lower standard of living, and lack of prenatal care, vitamins, and malnutrition can contribute to any results.  Really, unless you have a population who only smokes MJ (no drinking, smoking cigarettes, other drugs), has good prenatal care, and is fairly well fed you can't determine the effects of MJ on any part of life, much less labor or birth.

Thanks again!

mamabear7 likes this.
#195 of 198 Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 PM

My question is WHY? You do realize that everything YOU ingest, your baby does too, right? So your little precious baby is ALSO getting high. Great parenting skills!

Also, pot won't touch the level of pain that labor is. More likely you'd just end up hungry, tired, and paranoid. All of which you don't need during labor. If you need pain management, maybe you should re-examine why you want a natural birth in the first place. If you can't handle it, go to the hospital or a birth center and get it taken care of LEGALLY and SAFELY.

#196 of 198 Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviajune View Post

My question is WHY? You do realize that everything YOU ingest, your baby does too, right? So your little precious baby is ALSO getting high. Great parenting skills!

Also, pot won't touch the level of pain that labor is. More likely you'd just end up hungry, tired, and paranoid. All of which you don't need during labor. If you need pain management, maybe you should re-examine why you want a natural birth in the first place. If you can't handle it, go to the hospital or a birth center and get it taken care of LEGALLY and SAFELY.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. I feel much the same. If you, as a parent, need to "check out or mellow out" on a regular basis .. maybe you should re-think being a parent in the first place.
#197 of 198 Old 04-04-2013, 11:54 PM

I use my medical cannabis daily and have since becoming pregnant. I am currently 38 weeks and 4 days! :) I'm just not sure on how it affects labor and delivery. I wonder if MJ stalls the onset of labor?! any words of advice are welcome! :) and I live in san diego. my OB knows of my med MJ card and isn't for or against it. she just makes sure to remind me to take it in moderation. I think there are better things to worry about than someone smoking a joint to relieve any sort of ailment during pregnancy. and the fact that CPS has the audacity to come and take your children away for it is also atrocious in my eyes. while its ok and widely accepted to have a methadone or morphine RX, simply smoking cannabis can cause jail time and or CPS involvement, which is just plain ludicrous! not here in California! :) congrats to all the other mama's to be!

mamabear7 likes this.
#198 of 198 Old 04-07-2013, 04:17 PM

I didn't read over the whole tread but very interesting.  I smoked for years when I was young. However as I got older I realized I didn't even like it.  It makes me very paranoid. The only time I enjoyed it was when I was alone and could zone out to a movie or something. There is no way I would enjoy it in labor.

I post because I want to drink a margarita when I go into labor this time.  Maybe 2! Did anyone drink while in labor? I know alcohol thins the blood, not good when you need to clot.  Then you have to breastfeed your little baby.  I have always with all 3 babies so far drank a beer after birth or the night of the birth. My last midwife OK-ed it she said it helps the milk come in, she even said drinking here and there during pregnancy was OK. When she was pregnant with one of hers the only thing that helped her constant morning sickness was a beer. 

I don't want to get drunk just that nice buzz which I'm sure one margarita will work after more then a year of not drinking. It will certainly help me be more calm and relaxed and happy. Drinking is my marijuana. My last two babies were born at sunrise so I had coffee instead of beer.  All my labors are getting shorter as well. First 8 hours, #2 4 hours, #3 2 hours. So this baby may come so fast there may be no time to make one. Plus I usually am extremely focused and into the birth I never do much of what I plan to do - I just give birth. 

So did anyone drink while in labor?

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page