No weight gain in first trimester? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone else not gain any weight in their first trimester? I weighed myself yesterday and I have not put on any weight--maybe a pound, if anything. Anyone else have this? Did you put on a lot later? I'm not too worried about it and my next appointment is tomorrow morning, but I am curious about other people who did not gain in the first trimester and how their weight came on later.

I'm 13 weeks and 3 days today.

Mommy to my sweet Iris, 9.13.08
#2 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 12:05 PM

Hi. I am almost 16 weeks and I didn't gain in the first trimester either. I was happy about it. I know alot of people that have gained alot the first 3 months and there really is no need to gain at all in the first 3 months. Techincally the Baby weighs all of an ounce. I think gaining like 5 pounds is fine though. My first visit was at 9 weeks and when I went back at 14 weeks, I was the same. Technically for all I know I might have gained in that 9 weeks before I went (clearly I normally only weigh myself at the Dr. anyway because I am not a fan of weighing myself) but I don't think so.

BTW - I quit smoking in August when we started trying to have a Baby so I gained 15 pounds after that. I was a little careful not to overdo it when I got pregnant though so that might have made a difference. Certainly not dieting in anyway but eating only till I was full. Which seems to happen alot sooner these days.
#3 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 12:42 PM

I've put on like two pounds now, but at 13 1/2 weeks I'd actually lost like 3 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight just from increasing the amount of walking I was doing.

Slow or non-existant weight gain is normal in the first trimester. Lots of women lose weight from nausea and the increased metabolism, but as long as you're getting in nutrition there's no problem.

The bulk of weight gain comes in the second trimester when the baby's growing super fast and then should level off to a fairly slow rate in the third trimester as the baby starts growing more like a newborn.
#4 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM

That is exaclty what my sister said, I was so happy I didn't gain and she said not to expect that my next visit. In the second trimester though you kind of know it's because the baby is getting better and your uterus, placenta, etc.
#5 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 PM

With dd I lost 14 pounds in the first trimester due to morning sickness. I ended up gaining all that back and 15lbs by the time I delivered. My doc wasn't worried about it.

This time around I had only gained 1.5lbs by 14 weeks. I think it's completely normal to not gain much in the first trimester due to nausea, morning sickness, food aversions, etc.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

#6 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM

I don't remember for sure how much it was, but I gained very little in the 1st trimester. I'm sure it was less than 5lbs. I was worried about it too. But the dr. was cool with it and assured me it was normal.

I've continued to gain less than I expected throughout the pg. I think total I've gained 28lbs and today is my EDD. But my fundal height measurement has always been right on and baby is active with a good strong heartbeat. Last appt. the dr said that the baby feels like a nice average sized baby.

I've been making sure to eat well. I started out a little overweight and think I've just replaced a lot of the crap I was eating with better healthier stuff. A while ago I stopped worrying about it and decided to be thankful that I won't have a ton of baby weight to lose.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#7 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM

I lost 8lbs in the first trimester of my first pregnancy and lost 4lbs in the first trimester of my current pregnancy. I ended up gaining a total of 35lbs in the first pregnancy and will have gained more than that by the time this pregnancy is finished. I don't think it is unusual to not gain/lose in the first trimester.
#8 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM

I didn't gain any during the first, it was 17 weeks until I gained my first, and now at 21 weeks I've only gained 5.

While I knew it was okay to not gain, it still seemed odd to me, even though I've got a little extra weight anyways. My midwife kept telling me she wasn't worried, but i was kinda relieved when I gained something -- now having gained 5, I'm not so worried nor too interested in seeing the number rise to much.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#9 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM

I hadn't gained a pound in first trimester, and then all of a sudden somewhere around 16 weeks I gained about eight pounds! And oddly, I haven't gained anything in the last five weeks - I'm 21 weeks now. My eating and excersize habits haven't changed at all in that time.

I think my baby just has "growth spurts".

Charlotte

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#10 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 02:35 PM

I lost six pounds in my first trimester. Trust me, I've more than made up for it in trimesters two and now three.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#11 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 PM

I did not gain any weight during the first trimester of my first pregnancy. My doctor said that was totally normal and fine.

This time, I lost a little then gained a little so I'm right where I started.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#12 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I only gained 2-3 lbs the first trimester. Most of my weight gain has been in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I wouldn't worry about it - especially if you are keeping a good diet down just fine.
#13 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM

I had HG the first tri, so I didn't gain anything! I'm making up for it now though.....

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#14 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 03:56 PM

I gained about 2lbs. I was pleasantly surprised since I ate a lot of junk during the first trimester.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#15 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 04:00 PM

With DS1 I lost 26 lbs I really didn't have in my 1st tri b/c of hypermesis. From my lowest weight I only gained 19 lbs. Baby weighed 8 lbs 6 oz/23" long. I consumed 2200-2500 cals/day after 1st tri.

With DS2 I lost 4 lbs in my first tri but didn't have hypermesis. I gained exactly 19 lbs again. Baby weighed 9 lbs 4 oz/19" long. Same calorie range as DS1.

I'm 14 wks with #3 and have lost 6 lbs in the 1st tri. I already had a low(er) BMI but midwife is not concerned b/c I'm eating very healthy foods and most days hit 2,000 cals.

Both my midwife and I comfortable and we are sure this is just how I do pregnancies. Both of my placentas were HUGE, hemoglobin great, and I had great pregnancies.

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#16 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM

I actually lost a few pounds in the first trimester, even without having any morning sickness at all. I didn't start gaining until week 20-24 or so.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#17 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 04:20 PM

I Lost 15 pounds in the first tri. totally normal not to gain.
#18 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM

With the first pregnancy, I lost 10 lbs in the first month, little to no morning sickness. I gained it all back plus an additional 25lbs (so 35 total) starting around week 14.

With this pregnancy again I didn't really get morning sickness, I didn't lose anything but didn't start gaining until week 21 and now I'm up to 23 lbs at 35 weeks.
#19 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM

I'm 20 weeks and haven't gained anything either.

My first pregnancy I lost a bit in the first trimester.
My second I gained a pound or two.
And then this time nothing for the first 20 weeks. Each person is so different, I'd not worry about it. Now if you didn't gain in the third trimester I might wonder what was going on with you!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#20 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM

I also lost about 10 pounds and haven't started gaining yet. I'm not really worried as I had a bit of weight to lose from the last pregnancy .

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#21 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM

lost 15 pounds in the 1st trimester, didn't start gaining until after 20 weeks. Still ended up gaining 30 pounds total and had a 9 pound baby.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#22 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With DD1 I wasn't sick, but just didn't gain weight until 18 weeks or so. I went on to gain 19lbs total. I gained from day one with DD2, I never weighed myself, but it was a lot more then 19lbs, and DD2 turned out to be smaller then her big sister.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page