Depends for postpartum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard several people mention at one time or another that they've used, and loved, Depends underwear for postpartum bleeding. I'm seriously considering getting some, but have some questions for those of you who have used them:

1) Which type did you use? I'm looking at their website and they have Extra Absorbency, Super Plus Absorbency (in adjustable and regular), and Maximum Absorbency (Fitted). Well, there are others, too, but I figured I'd want at very least the "Extra" absorbency for PP bleeding.

2) How do you size it? It varies by type, but I'm seeing sizes like S/M and L/XL grouped together, when I would more typically put myself at a M/L. Or a size L including as far as up to 260 pounds, which seems like it would be very large. And some of them size by hips and weight- or hips, weight and waist. But obviously my weight and waist at least are going to be a little wonky right after birth.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 PM

1. Not sure. I sent DH out for more after my MW brought a few for me to use immediately postpartum and I loved them. I put a pad inside rather than using the actual panty for bleeding, and I could wear the same panty all day rather than changing, kwim?

2. I really suggest sizing down. The first few the MW brought over were nice and snug, and it was great, felt like it was holding everything in. I'm on the fluffy side, about an 18 pre-pregnancy. My hubby brought home the XL's (I didn't know the size of the one my MW brought) and they were way too big and not nearly as nice as the first few - felt like I was wearing a diaper.

I only wore them for the first 3 days.
#3 of 5 Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 PM

I really just loved giant postpartum cloth pads. Depends sound so hot and sticky icky.
#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 AM

I have no idea what size I used. A friend who homebirthed gave me her leftovers. I used them during labor (my water had broken and they were nice for early contractions to avoid waddling around with a towel between my legs) and postpartum. I loved them! They were very comfy and I didn't worry about staining underwear or adjusting pads.
#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
1. Not sure. I sent DH out for more after my MW brought a few for me to use immediately postpartum and I loved them. I put a pad inside rather than using the actual panty for bleeding, and I could wear the same panty all day rather than changing, kwim?

2. I really suggest sizing down. The first few the MW brought over were nice and snug, and it was great, felt like it was holding everything in. I'm on the fluffy side, about an 18 pre-pregnancy. My hubby brought home the XL's (I didn't know the size of the one my MW brought) and they were way too big and not nearly as nice as the first few - felt like I was wearing a diaper.

I only wore them for the first 3 days.
Well that's definitely helpful information! Also, thanks for telling me how long you used them. My brain hadn't even gotten that far in my line of thinking, yet! But now that you mention it, yeah...it's only the first few days that have the really awful gushes and heavy bleeding that make me feel drawn to something like this, over a pad that seems to need constant adjusting.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page