Prolapse Bladder or uterus while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 12 weeks pregnant and am realizing that I think I have a prolapsed bladder? The symptoms seem to be all there, and it has been there for a few months (Before pregnancy) . My youngest is 3 1/2, but I had just been feeling it recently. Now that I am realizing what it is, I'm going to call the mw tomorrow, but I just wanted any input on suggestions or what to expect.
Feeling concerned, and a bit nervous.
#2 of 10 Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 AM

I'm going through the same thing. I noticed my prolapse at almost 14 weeks (I'm now 15w2d). I think mine is a uterine or cervical prolapse...not sure which one. I also suspected something was off for awhile now. TMI Ahead! I kept checking wondering when the heck my cervix was going to go up and it never has and now it sticks out of my vagina at tiny bit sometimes.

I guess it pretty rare to have this happen during pregnancy. I did a search here on MDC on it and didn't find a whole lot at all on it during pregnancy. There is a helpful thread I found here on MDC though called the Pelvic Organ Prolapse Support Thread found here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=713732

I did talk to another mom IRL who had it with her 2nd pregnancy (she's now on her 3rd) and noticed it around the same time I did and it went up on it's own by 20 weeks.

Helpful website: http://www.wholewoman.com/

Some things I'm doing are that I've read or heard during my researching:

-No sex until it's resolved
-No lifting at all!
-No squats
-Implementing the Whole Woman Posture (from website...still trying to remember to do this)
-Lots of kegals. Also heard about doing kegals with a pillow under each cheek.
-Hands and knees
-Pelvic rocks
-Laying on an angeled mat from my mw for 10 mins a day (makes so my feet are above my head)
-Homeopathics: Sepia (my mw says it's strong so only 1 dose a day) & Ruta Graveloens
-Extra magnesium
-Belly support band and homemade belly wrap

And in 3 weeks, I'm going to have the Maya Abdominal Massage Arvigo Technique done (usually done at 20 weeks but I'm going in at 18 weeks) by another mw. This looks very promising and I'm very excited to try this. The Maya massage isn't just for pregnant women too. Here's the website on it: http://arvigomassage.com/

Well, that was a long post! But wanted to share with you all I know so far. Sorry you're going through this and keep us updated if you can.

Also looking forward to seeing if there's others who have gone through this or are experiencing it now.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#3 of 10 Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips. I of course started kegels right away, and I read that squats were good for strengthening the pelvic floor. Maybe that's only if you don't have an issue already.
Before I was pregnant I was feeling like the maya massage was something that I needed. I had a tough birth with my daughter and then my son was an emergency c/s. My body has been through a lot. (I spent last night crying to my husband that I just want a "normal" experience this time. Luckily, I have very healthy and beautiful children, so can I really be upset?) Anyway, I wanted to get the massage done, there is someone about an hour 1/2 from here. But I assumed it would be dangerous in pregnancy. I'm going to definately contact them.
I just bought one of those bella bands to get me through the in between stages of clothes, and I noticed that the support felt really good. maybe I'll wear that weather I need it or not. I wish I still had my official belly support from my first pregnancy.
My husband will be disappointed about the no sex thing (, but more concerned about my health, for sure) I just started getting energy back. Oh well, someday...
Counting the minutes until the MW office opens.
Let's stay in touch. I'm interested in having a buddy through all of this. It's always good to know someone else is overcoming a similar issue.

Blessings!
#4 of 10 Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsciousMama View Post
Thanks for all the tips. I of course started kegels right away, and I read that squats were good for strengthening the pelvic floor. Maybe that's only if you don't have an issue already.
Before I was pregnant I was feeling like the maya massage was something that I needed. I had a tough birth with my daughter and then my son was an emergency c/s. My body has been through a lot. (I spent last night crying to my husband that I just want a "normal" experience this time. Luckily, I have very healthy and beautiful children, so can I really be upset?) Anyway, I wanted to get the massage done, there is someone about an hour 1/2 from here. But I assumed it would be dangerous in pregnancy. I'm going to definately contact them.
I just bought one of those bella bands to get me through the in between stages of clothes, and I noticed that the support felt really good. maybe I'll wear that weather I need it or not. I wish I still had my official belly support from my first pregnancy.
My husband will be disappointed about the no sex thing (, but more concerned about my health, for sure) I just started getting energy back. Oh well, someday...
Counting the minutes until the MW office opens.
Let's stay in touch. I'm interested in having a buddy through all of this. It's always good to know someone else is overcoming a similar issue.

Blessings!
Yes, I'd love a buddy too!

The Maya is safe after the first trimester...I know...it seemed kinda strange to me at first thought of having an abdominal massage while pregnant but I guess it can really help. That's great that you have someone only 1/2 hr away too. She's going to teach me how to do it on myself too.

The no sex thing is what I was told from my friend who was told that from her OB...makes sense I guess.

Let me know what your mw says as there's not too much info IRL that's I've been told about prolapse during pregnancy.

#5 of 10 Old 03-05-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I just talked to the nurse, who is having me come right in. So, time to pack the kids up for the hour drive (crazy, but there's no hospital closer to me that will do a vbac! And this one actually seems very supportive and has a ridiculous epidural rate, something like 35%!)

I'll let you know how it goes.
#6 of 10 Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

So, it seems as though what I was feeling was my cervix. The difficulty urinating was due to the positioning and maybe slight constipation. (TMI!) She didn't seem too concerned, told me to work on anti-gravity exercises, and it will have to move up.
I asked her if she knew anything about the mayan abdominal massage, and she hadn't heard about it, but thought it was a great idea. I'm definately going to attempt that in hopefully a few weeks, I think I'll look into the self-massage as well. It would be nice to do it myself in the future.
#7 of 10 Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsciousMama View Post
So, it seems as though what I was feeling was my cervix. The difficulty urinating was due to the positioning and maybe slight constipation. (TMI!) She didn't seem too concerned, told me to work on anti-gravity exercises, and it will have to move up.
I asked her if she knew anything about the mayan abdominal massage, and she hadn't heard about it, but thought it was a great idea. I'm definately going to attempt that in hopefully a few weeks, I think I'll look into the self-massage as well. It would be nice to do it myself in the future.
Glad she wasn't too concerned. I'm also having trouble urinating. Only in the AM when my bladder is REALLY full. I can't seem to empty all the way and have to wait a bit and try again later.

I'm pretty sure mine will resolve on it's own but for me it the fact that it's happening (something that isn't supposed to happen) and I want to make sure all the bits and pieces are where they're supposed to be for labor and I want to try and prevent prolapse after delivery...eeek!

BTW- Do you have a tipped uterus? Mine is and I think it's still working it's way forward.

#8 of 10 Old 03-09-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh goodness, I just wrote a long reply and my computer hiccuped, and it's gone.
Anyway,
My midwife did try pushing my uterus up a bit, to get it off my bladder, make things more comfortable, and while it didn't move, I think just moving things around helped, because now I've been peeing alot, and only having trouble sometimes.
I'm freaked out about prolapse after delivery, but I figure that I'll do what I can, and just know that things happen the way they are meant to. I am interested in learning more about hypnobirthing, and delivering without actually pushing. I'm wondering if this will help.
I do have a tipped uterus and at my last prenatal (a week before my cervix was hanging low) my mw couldn't find my cervix, had to search around a bit and found it high and to the front. What goes on in there?
#9 of 10 Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM

Whooo hoooo! My cervix is high FINALLY! My uterus is forward now too. I'm 16w3d today. I checked before I left for my appt w/ the mw. I'm still going to have my Maya Abdominal Massage done in 2 weeks. She did my 1st internal today and had a hard time finding my cervix too. She said it's high but not in the correct position and she's glad I'm going for the abdominal massage still.

#10 of 10 Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

YAY!!! That makes me feel better! I've been slightly obsessing, and today my kids broke my ironing board! I was just realizing that I'm actually not feeling as much pressure in my vagina, maybe I should check. How high up should the cervix be? any idea?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page