No more births at Birth Center! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-11-2003, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am fuming, I am pissed beyond belief! I juts got a letter in the mail informing me that all births will take place at the hospital that my birth center is affiliated with, only prenatal visits will take place at the birth center. What the hell! How can they do this! I want to drive up there right now and rip the balls off the hospital admisntrator for this. I will NOT give birth in a hospital. O.k., now I am so mad I'm crying.
I don't know what to do! I would do a homebirth but we can't afford to pay a midwife out of pocket, we are absolutely strapped for cash. By going through the birth center we were covered under the PCAP program and everything would be covered 100%. And a birth center birth with midwives was as close to a hospital birth as I'm willing to go. I am So angry and frustrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-11-2003, 04:22 PM

Oh, that sucks!

It sounds like your best options are to try to find a midwife who will work out a payment plan with you, or to plan a UC. Good luck!
#3 of 10 Old 09-11-2003, 05:47 PM

(((((artemesia)))))) That bites big time! Yuck!

That said, maybe it was a blessing in discuise. Our local birth center has ties to a hospital. It's off site and births occur there, but it's almost identical to being at the main hospital. There are still a lot of inductions (that make you go to the hospital) and lot transfers (that make you deliver at the hosptial last minute) and a too high C-section and really high intervention rate. The CNM are just handmaidens to the Drs. here.

I'm glad you have time before this baby comes. Man, just think of the women who got that letter at 38 weeks!?!!?

Seems like homebirth is probably more of an option for you that you might think. If homebirth is really something you are interested in, usually talking to local midwives will help find one that is willing to have payments on a sliding scale, a payment plan and/or billing your insurance to see what they can get. (No insurance where you live will say that they cover homebirth, but they may cover prenatal appointments with an out-of-network provider -- see my point)

Also, how do you feel about UC? That's an option for most and your DH doesn't have to charge what the MW charges.

Best wishes! I know you'll find just the right place/person!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#4 of 10 Old 09-11-2003, 06:34 PM

That is just insane. I am sorry you are having to go through this. But I agree with the other two that homebirth is probably the way to go for you.
Midwives can be very flexible. Mine charged "$700-$900, whatever you can pay." Though you won't find that attitude very often I still think midwives have a more flexible attitude in general. You have quite awhile till the birth too, time to work out a payment plan. There's income tax returns.
I also agree with the other posters to look into UC if that is an idea you are at all comfortable with.
Good luck. Don't worry, you still have lots of time. Just remember this feeling of
Quote:
I will NOT give birth in a hospital
Follow your instinct and find a way for homebirth to work out for you.
Beth
#5 of 10 Old 09-11-2003, 08:01 PM

I am so sorry to hear this I know it's SO maddening. I do know just how you feel, at 38 weeks they told me I was no longer a canidate for the birth home due to a suspected large baby and
a previous "stuck baby" which turned out fine. I was so pissed at them. Because I was being singled out as "high risk" by the exact people who were supposed to be believing in me. The OB said I could birth there and the midwives talked him out of it. Anyhow I can't afford the $3000 private midwife rates here in SF bay area so I cannot do a home birth. But the good news is the midwifes were willing to accept a payment plan. They want women to have a choice!! My dh has been laid off and just got back to work recently so we are also strapped for $$$. I had already paid $750 on my credit card for a doula and dh spent $1500 on transportation so we can't budget in an extra $3000 right now but if I could I certainly would!

If there is no way for a homebirth or you get stuck at a hospital, get a good doula and write up a great birth plan and arrive at the last possible second so most of your laboring is at home. I hope you can make your birth what you want it to be. Being in America for childbirth is a disadvantage if you don't mind me saying so. Remember things could change for you!! Best of Luck!!!
#6 of 10 Old 09-11-2003, 10:52 PM

I also agree that a homebirth could be a good option for you. Since your insurance would have been willing to pay a midwife working out of a birth center, it may very well pay for a midwife at a homebirth. I know our insurance company last time didn't ask about the location of the birth, all they cared about was who attended. We never came out and said we were having a homebirth, my mw just sent them a bill and they paid it. I'm sure they were just happy to get a bill for such a small amount, compared to hospital fees.

peace, Beth
#7 of 10 Old 09-11-2003, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you mamas for all the support. I have cooled down a little (not much) and am trying to think this through. I have an appointment tomorrow, so I will ask the midwives just what the heck is going on. I want to know why this decision was made, and who made it. Then I am going to roll up my sleeves and deal with this. If at all possible I will fight the decision (oh, I love a challenge and I love to fight injustice and stupidity). This happened before several years ago, the hospital declared that all births would occur at the hospital. Sometime in the last couple of years the decision must have been reversed because when I found out I was pg again, I was surprised to find that the birth center was operating again. So, the policy WAS reversed once before, why not again?
If fighting this gets me nowhere, then I'm not sure what to do. When I said we were strapped for cash, I mean that we can't even pay our basic bills right now and are being hounded by creditors (oh, could I have a little more stress right now please: ), so I really can't pay a midwife even a little bit. And we don't have any insurence to creatively bill, we are stuck with a medicaid program that definately does not cover homebirth, you are only certified through specific hospitals and we were just lucky enough to live somewhat near one with a birth center.
I have entertained the idea of an unassisted birth, but am not sure if I am totally comfortable to do it. Dd's birth was a total disaster, and it was only recently that I even faced the trauma of it and tried to deal with it. I was terrified to even have another baby, some real issues with birth. But this time, I do have a strange calm about everything, and do feel much more empowered and confident that I can give birth naturally (after a very much unwanted c/s). I am dealing with so many things right now, I am really twisted up inside and I just want to check out and go on vacation, I am nearing the end of my wits. I would just like SOMETHING to go right for a change, instead of one disaster after another!
Sorry, I am definately feeling a bit Eeorish these days.
#8 of 10 Old 09-12-2003, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I just got back from my midwife appointment. She was really great.
She told me what was going on with the birth center, its all apparantly about money (or lack thereof) that is moving the hospital's decision and much as she doesn't like it, there is little she can do about it. She and the other midwife are staying on to provide births at the hospital following a very minimal intervention and technology philosophy of birth. She said that becasue I will be VBAC I would have had to go to the hospital anyway (agian, hopsital policy not hers). I told her that I am in no way comfortable with a hospital setting and she was very understanding and supportive. She is offering to help me get the birth I want, even if is not with her. She is even going to see if she can find a homebirth midwife who can bill through PCAP. For now I will go through her for prenatal visits, which she said would cut down my expense if I ended up going with another midwife out of pocket. I feel better knowing there may be other options, and that this midwife will stand up for me.
#9 of 10 Old 09-12-2003, 02:43 PM

That sounds like the best update you could have posted! That's wonderful. There is plenty of hope! Yay!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#10 of 10 Old 09-12-2003, 02:59 PM

Good for you for looking into your options! Keep us updated!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page