Melatonin causing hallucinations during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been having a HUGE sleeping problem and my midwife suggested I try either valerian or melatonin. The valerian worked, but I was very groggy..so I tried the melatonin. Both times I have taken it, I have had some pretty strange hallucination/dreams? Anyone have any experience with that?

I thought the first time was a fluke and something I had eaten, but after taking it again and having much the same reaction, I think I am going to stay away from it, but I wondered if anyone else had had something like that happen....

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-06-2008, 04:12 PM

Melatonin is known to induce extremely vivid dreams. I am fine if I take it here or there, but if I take it for a few nights in a row- watch out! Craziness and it is always dreams that I can't shake the next day.

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#3 of 7 Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM

I have a good friend who swears melatonin made her feel psychotic. I'm pretty sure she hallucinated too. I would definitely stay away from it! Maybe try the Celestial Seasons Sleepytime Extra tea? I've heard it makes you sleepy but not groggy. I should get some myself--every night I'm up for hours.
#4 of 7 Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM

I just found this....

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Melatonin supplementation should be avoided in women who are pregnant or attempting to become pregnant, based on possible hormonal effects. High levels of melatonin during pregnancy may increase the risk of developmental disorders. In animal studies, melatonin is detected in breast milk and therefore should be avoided during breastfeeding. In men, decreased sperm motility and decreased sperm count are reported with use of melatonin.
#5 of 7 Old 03-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say... melatonin is a hormone involved in growth. I've always heard that it's off the menu for pregnancy and nursing, so I haven't taken it in years.

That being said, when I did take it, it worked *beautifully* for me, and I never had any of the weirdness that some people report. I do know someone IRL who had an experience similar to yours, though.
#6 of 7 Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 PM

Hrrmmm...I stopped taking valerian when I found out I was pregnant, as it's considered a potential mutagen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb)).
Now I'm curious as to other's thoughts on whether or not to use valerian during pregnancy and BF'ing.
#7 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellee View Post
Hrrmmm...I stopped taking valerian when I found out I was pregnant, as it's considered a potential mutagen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb)).
Now I'm curious as to other's thoughts on whether or not to use valerian during pregnancy and BF'ing.
Honestly, wikipedia is an "anyone" can add to it database. I could choose to edit it to say that Valerian can cause spontaneous orgasm and it doesn't make it true.

I did however find this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3182848AAEIgoX

I couldn't find any substantive proof that valerian is a mutagen and especially not in the doses one would take to sleep once in a while.

On a side note. I took either valerian or melatonin every night since I found out of I was pregnant and 4 months into breastfeeding and my son is healthy, happy, good sleeping and progressing beyond his "recommended" milestones. Take that as you will.

And congrats on the new addition coming soon!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

User Tag List