37 wks. Bleeding after vaginal exam - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,
Just want to make sure all is normal with this one, and I don't feel up to calling the Dr. just yet. I had my internal yesterday. I am 3 cm and 80% effaced. Dr. told me to expect spotting. When I got home with my daughter, I went straight to the bathroom (as usual) and the toilet was filled with bright red blood. It was bright red when I wiped. It has since turned brown and seems to be stopping (the next morning). I don't recall this happening with my first. Any thing I need to be worried about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 AM

Are you soaking a pad? I'd have been worried about anything more than spotting, and would suggest a call to your provider.
#3 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Not at this point. Yesterday was a lot, but today just tiny bit spotty and is brown. I am thinking maybe it was just b/c the blood vessels are so sensitive right now. I cannot find any info on Internet either.
#4 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM

hmmmmmm....I wonder if your membranes were stripped.

stripping membranes

Quote:
Stripping of the membranes is done by the practitioner during a vaginal exam. While checking the cervix, they slide their finger between the cervix and the amniotic sac, and sweep their finger around, partially separating the sac from the uterus as far as they can reach....It is often done without the woman's consent...Stripping the membranes can be painful for a woman and she often will have some vaginal bleeding afterward.
HTH
#5 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. It could have been, but the exam was quite short. I a little uncomfortable. All spotting has stopped at this point. I am trying not to overthink it. The baby is moving and normal. Maybe I will call . . . it does seem off a bit.
#6 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Don't be jumping to the conclusion your membranes were stripped yet. The cervix is VERY tender during pregnancy and yes, expect bleeding. If you are soaking a pad, then yes call your OB. I bled after each exam and if we had sex and it is to be expected. And yes, your OB or midwife is obligated to tell you if they stripped your membranes. I know, I know...some don't but they should. I think you are just fine mama. Sit back and relax and enjoy the last few weeks or days of pregnancy.
#7 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM

When my membranes were stripped, it hurt like hell. Unmistakable and nothing like a normal vaginal exam. I think your intuition is right and it's probably a blood vessel or something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page