Bronchitis and Pregnancy. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I had it last time and I think I have it again. We didn't treat last time and it's probably viral so no point in treating this time either....

But it hurts and is getting bad enough that if I cough too much I get dizzy...

I'll call the midwives tomorrow but anything you guys would suggest? I'm drinking lots of water... which is just making the middle of the night bathroom trips soooo much more appealing :

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had bronchitis when I was around 7 months along. It really stinks! I agree that there isn't much you can do to treat the underlying cause, since it is probably viral, but there are some things that may relieve your symptoms.

A few things I found helpful were drinking tea made from fresh ginger root (this really helps with the chest congestion). Taking a hot shower also helps clear the lungs. You can also try boosting your immune system - with vitamin C, echinacea, elderberry syrup, etc. And of course rest as much as possible...
#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had bronchitis for the entire 8th month of my first pregnancy, because I just never sought treatment (what can they do, I'm pregnant, right?). BAD idea.

When I did break down and go in, they gave me an albuterol nebulizer treatment and then an inhaler. They also gave me some codeine syrup, which the MWs said to try for 24 hours, but if it didn't help, stop. (The only pregnancy-specific warning on the albuterol was that if it was in your system when you go into labor, it could be a problem with blood clotting.)

They also suggested inhaling steam... boil several cups of water, pour into some sort of basin (like a dishpan), and toss a towel over your head and the basin. Stay there for 10 minutes. This, more than ANYTHING, really helped... and now that I know to do this when I get colds, I haven't had bronchitis since! Now I also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to the water.

Sleeping inclined also helped, as did Robitussin Honey Cough Lemon Tea flavor lozenges.
beccamama31 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page