No eye exams while pg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know where I got this idea, but is it true I shouldn't have a regular eye exam while I'm pg?

I just found the Medicaid I have will pay for an exam. I haven't had one in several years, I need new glasses - or at least new lenses - and on one will make them without a current prescription.

I would just wait out the couple of months until the baby is born but or re-up is in July and I'm not sure if we'll still qualify.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM

The issue is that pregnancy can affect your eyesight. Say you get an exam now and buy a pair of glasses. A month from now, they've changed again, another month, another change, and when you finally have your LO your eyes are totally different and the glasses were a total waste of money.

Now, since you already needed your glasses changed, and have already been dealing with that problem, if you can get super-cheap glasses now, go for it.
#3 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 12:25 PM

I had an eye exam and got new glasses during this pregnancy. Dr didn't say anything and my perscription only changed a tiny bit from two years previous. I know that dialation of pupils is contraindicated, so we skipped that.
#4 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM

I had an eye exam during the first trimester of this pregnancy. The only thing that the Dr. didn't do was the dialation because of the drops they use to do it. He figured that since I was pregnant, the less medicine I had the better for baby. And to my understanding, only some women experience changes in vision while pregnant. I'm pretty sure that my vision has stayed the same all 3 pregnancis. I say go for it!

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#5 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM

My eye doctor told me to wait until after I was pregnant because your eye sight changes during pregnancy -- and it really does, I noticed my eyes got worse. She actually recommended waiting until a few months afterwards to get the most accurate eye tests -- I think she said six months, but I'm not positive.
#6 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM

When pregnant with dd I finally had insurance that included vision and took advantage of it and got glasses I really needed. I remember being so impressed that I could see actual leaves on trees!

I would go ahead and get it if you already know you need a new prescription because you can always go back and get another one after the birth if you need to. This does assume that the glasses are covered - if I was going to be paying a couple hundred for a new pair of glasses, I'd probably hold off until after the birth.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#7 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My eyesight gets much worse during each pg. I know this now, and wait a couple months after baby is born, then I have to go get new glasses.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM

It's the only time I've ever qualified or been able to afford new glasses, so that's when I do them.

FWIW we are having a hard time getting me fitted in contacts... not only do I already have severe astigmatism/nearsightedness, I also have moving eyes... they literally spin in their sockets So, pregnant or not, it's a pain. But my vision doesn't CHANGE during pg, I just get more sensitive... and can't wear contacts as long during the day

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#9 of 15 Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 PM

I had an eye exam in December and found out my vision hadn't changed.
She wouldn't dilate either, and said I shouldn't have it done while breastfeeding as well.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#10 of 15 Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM

Wait. What? Your vision changes? I've never heard of this, and am not happy to do so. I've always had 20/20 vision, or real close to it. Is it likely that I'll go from having near perfect vision to needing glasses? 'Cause honestly, I'm really kinda absentminded at times, and I'm not sure I can care for both an infant and eyewear.
#11 of 15 Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 AM

Being able to see isn't a luxury, it's a necessity. I say go get the exam, get the glasses, if your prescription changes, you can deal with that then. There is a very good change it won't. It's covered by your Medicaid, no reason not to.

I had to get new glasses last month (at 7 months), and like others mentioned, I didn't get the drops but the relief I got as soon as I put on my new glasses....wow and if I my vision changes once my little one gets here, I'll have the lenses re-done, the frames can still be used.
#12 of 15 Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj'smommy View Post
I had an eye exam in December and found out my vision hadn't changed.
She wouldn't dilate either, and said I shouldn't have it done while breastfeeding as well.
Great! Arghhhh! My doctor dilated me while I was 15 weeks pregnant. Ds is okay but is there something I should look for. Oh and my farsightedness went away while I was pg but I developed really bad dry eye. I wish I had know. Gosh his wife and mother and law are both midwives. He shoudl have known.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#13 of 15 Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 AM

DO IT!!!

I did when I was prego with my first daughter... Well I guess I waited, until she was a few weeks old... but I dont think it matters... I was told that my eye site wouldn't be "normal" again until a few months AFTER I stopped breastfeeding...

Its been almost four years and I still have those glasses!! I paid hardly anythign for them, just a small overage for making the lenses a bit thinner!!
#14 of 15 Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
Wait. What? Your vision changes? I've never heard of this, and am not happy to do so. I've always had 20/20 vision, or real close to it. Is it likely that I'll go from having near perfect vision to needing glasses? 'Cause honestly, I'm really kinda absentminded at times, and I'm not sure I can care for both an infant and eyewear.
From what I recall reading it's caused by a higher fluid level in your eyes, just like the rest of your body. I think it's very slight, and for most women not noticeable but there can be small differences when the optom. takes measurements for glasses.
#15 of 15 Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 PM

I just got my eyes checked. I really needed to, and while my eyes do seem more sensistive to contacts now, I think it is worth it to be able to SEE WELL.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page