Thoughts on 1st trimester "bedrest"? (X-posted) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm 9 weeks, and I've been bleeding off and on for a few weeks. Last week I had heavy, bright red bleeding, but since then it's been smaller amounts of dark red or brown. My hcg initially wasn't increasing very fast, though last week suddenly it was. My progesterone initially was ok, but then started to drop, so now I'm on an oral progesterone supplement. I've had 3 ultrasounds, and so far everything has looked ok with the baby, good heartbeat, but the sac is measuring a little small (I was told that may not mean anything). However, at my last u/s yesterday, they saw a lot of blood in my uterus. So, I've been told that I should "take it easy." Not bed rest, but nothing strenuous (and no sex). Rest as much as possible.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I've read a few artices about how resting does nothing to change the outcome of a "threatened m/c," but nothing specifically relating to my situation. I think that the bleeding has stopped, and that the blood that's in there is just kind of stuck - little maybe the sac has gotten bigger and so is blocking the way out. Maybe that's why I only get a little here and there and why it's not bright red anymore. I don't know any of this for sure, just my guesses.

But, I'm getting pretty tired of sitting on my couch and I'm wondering if it's helping. I'm doing some things, like going down to my basement to throw in a load or 2 of laundry, but then leaving the clean stuff in a basket for DH to carry up later. I pick up and drop off my 5yo at school everyday, but I've been driving instead of walking (1/2 mile each way). I've stopped at the store to buy milk and eggs, but I haven't done a whole huge shopping trip with both my kids to chase. You get the idea.

Any thoughts or links to good info would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 AM

My research has always shown the same thing you mention. That bedrest, especially this early, does nothing to help.

Follow your head and heart. If you feel your body is giving you other signs to take it easy- do so. If you feel that it's okay for you to be at normal speed- do that.

-Angela
Old 03-22-2008, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm really tired and feel like napping is definitely in order, but I'm not sure I need to be resting as much as I have been. DH is really worried about me, so he's been really insistant that I do next to nothing. Maybe I'll try slowly increasing my activity over the next few days and see how that goes. Thanks, it helps to know that someone agrees with me.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:35 AM

I agree with you, too. My cousin and I have had parallel pregnancies as we are due the same week and both experienced a lot of bleeding the first trimester. She went on bedrest, I just kind of listened to my body and slept/ate when I needed to and got on with my life when I felt strong. We both went on to have healthy pregnancies. I did what felt right for me and she did what was right for her and we're both happy.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGiQ View Post
I agree with you, too. My cousin and I have had parallel pregnancies as we are due the same week and both experienced a lot of bleeding the first trimester. She went on bedrest, I just kind of listened to my body and slept/ate when I needed to and got on with my life when I felt strong. We both went on to have healthy pregnancies. I did what felt right for me and she did what was right for her and we're both happy.
Thanks! I do feel like listening to my body might be better. I'm glad things worked out for you!

User Tag List