41 weeks and counting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should start off by saying that I'm not sure if this is more of a question or just a venting, so bare with me. I am 41 weeks with my second child today and while i realize that this is "not that late", I am still concerned. I was induced at 42 weeks 1 day with my daughter and fear that I am on the same path this time around. I can't help but be angry, disappointed, scared and even resentful about this. I have tried in both pregnancies to deliver in a birth center without the use of any meds and feel cheated that it may be taken from me yet again. This is our last child and I feel like I may never have the birth experience I desire. I know that I ended up with a beautiful daughter and that I had very good treatment in the hospital, but it's just not the same as having my family with me and the ability to work through my labor whether it be in a tub or on a ball. I don't want this again and i am at my wits end. I took the herbs, I stayed active, I stayed positive and stress free, I kept smiling, until today. my bubble has burst. I truly thought this time would be different. Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 04:12 PM

Don't consent to induction without medical reason. Being postdates is not a medical reason. Some women always go past 42 weeks just like some women always deliver before 38 weeks. This may just be normal for you.

If you can't find a medical provider to support you then call around. You might be able to find someone, best chances are with a midwife.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#3 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 PM

I always go postdates, too and it gets stressful! With DD I took lots of Evening Primrose Oil to get my cervix nice and squishy to help me get started (it also took some herbal labour tincture and a stretch and sweep, but those are preferable to pit for me).

EPO is also a mood booster

Take a nice warm bath, have half a beer and put your feet up for the evening. Relaxation can work wonders, too.

Hang in there, stand up for yourself. One of my strategies when I was under a doctor's care (I use a midwife now) was to consent to some tests to put off induction. I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea, but that way she stayed off my case, which was what I wanted. I had NSTs every couple of days and a postdates u/s. I think sometimes it's helpful to cooperate with a few of their requirements in order to get what you want, too. Obviously you don't have to, but my Dr was my family Dr and I didn't want to start an acrimonious relationship with her.
#4 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a little confused as to the laws in my state, but i was under the impression that at 42 weeks there was not much i could do. I already have a midwife(7 actually, i go to a birth center) and they have said that at 42 weeks their policy is to induce using the hospital that they have privileges at. i would hate to find someone new when i have 2 pregnancies with these women that have been wonderful. i guess that means i have a choice between my midwives and induction.
oh and i have been taking the EPO and Dr. christophers prenatal herbs for 6 weeks or so and the epo did it's job. I was 80% effaced and 2 cm. last friday. i have my ultrasound for AFI and nst tomorrow to see if they recommend continuing on. I guess i have some questions to ask as far as my right to go pastdate as well. thanks for your help.
#5 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Oh, sounds like you're on the right track for getting ready I don't know about rights etc, though...

Maybe post a new thread asking about your rights past 42 weeks?
#6 of 13 Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM

I just wanted to commisserate as I am 41 weeks 1 day today and I'm really feeling the pressure to induce now. I see a MW but she is in a doctor's office. I went in yesterday and had the NST and u/s and everything is fine but they are still talking induction if I go back on Monday...even if things are still fine with me and the baby. I feel like this stress and worry is going to prevent me from going into labor!
#7 of 13 Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleengun View Post
I'm a little confused as to the laws in my state, but i was under the impression that at 42 weeks there was not much i could do.
First off you ALWAYS have a choice! They probably have rules (insurance company based rules!!) against THEM delivering a woman at their center that is past 42 wks BUT that does not mean that you have to get induced. You get what I mean. Basically either way if you go past 42wks you are going to be at the hospital, not the birth center. Just tell them you will ONLY have any sort of induction (especially chemical) if the NST and/or US show that the placenta is no longer preforming its duty properly. NOT for any other reason. Basically you are telling them "if it's not broke DON'T fix it". They can piss and complain all they want, just tell them you want medical proof that something is wrong before you use medical interventions. Not to mention that any good well read MW would have to agree with your logic since the newest research is on your side. this 42 wk cut off is still stuck around from a badly done research study in the 50ies

HUGS!!!

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#8 of 13 Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 PM

i was trying for a vbac last time (i did it) and was going late, i was really scared . it sounds gross but my midwives swept my membranes twice, the first time did nothing, but the second time i went into labor on the way home n had baby later that night. it was only a little uncomfortable.
#9 of 13 Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who helped me the other day. I honestly think that i needed to yell and scream and just feel a little sorry for myself, because I went into labor the next day and am now home with my beautiful baby girl. I went to my prenatal and had my nst and all looked good. It turns out I was already 6 cm and just waiting for the contractions to start. They followed that up with a sweeping in which i had my first my contraction. I had my us scheduled at 1 and got as far as the door when i saw one of my midwives(currently inducing a patient) who told me 'there is no need for a women in labor to have AfI!' Less than three hours later I was one happy mama holding her new baby. Emmeline Quinn was born at 3:52 pm Friday! Thanks again and good luck Argecash. If you need to yell, I'll always listen.
#10 of 13 Old 03-31-2008, 01:03 AM

Just read the thread - Congrats!!!!!
#11 of 13 Old 03-31-2008, 02:29 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really happy for you. I'm so glad that everything worked out the way you wanted it to.

Enjoy your babymoon!

Jennifer- mom to Nicholas (11), Ella (10), Andrew (8) and Anna Sophia (6)
#12 of 13 Old 04-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Congrats!!!!

We are still waiting here....nearly at 42 wks if dates are right (which I question)!

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
#13 of 13 Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Congratulations! I am so happy for you as I remember feeling the so terrible last time when I ended up induced at 42 weeks! It was nice to hear such a happy ending to your story, enjoy your baby girl, Mama!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page