Accuracy of U/S Gender Prediction @ 30 Weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, this is kind of frivolous but I have never 'found out' with our previous pregnancies. Had a u/s last week (lagging fundal height) and decided to ruin the surprise :.

I know they're notoriously inaccurate early on, but at 30 weeks they should be right on, shouldn't they? I mean, is it possible that they would get it wrong at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anything is possible. By 30 weeks it is very accurate at determining sex. It does depend on your tech though. Most of the time they have quite a bit of experience checking for gender.

There is always going to be that story though of "my grandma's aunt's neighbor was told 12 times she was having a boy and it was a GIRL"

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM

I would say they are pretty darn accurate at that stage...Congrats!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

There is always going to be that story though of "my grandma's aunt's neighbor was told 12 times she was having a boy and it was a GIRL"
That's true Just wondering about the likelihood, kwim? But I imagine it must be pretty good by then - I had a u/s at 36weeks with dd (for the same reason - I always fall behind in size late in pregnancy) and was amazed at the detail I could see in her face at that point. So I guess genitalia would be pretty clear too
Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Well here's a true story:

My close friend "felt" she was having a girl and chose her name and everything, then at her 20wk ultrasound they told her it was a boy. She was disappointed but chose a boy name and tried to be excited but kept talking about it being a girl. I told her those u/s are rarely wrong. She was so sure it was a girl she had them check again at 35wks and they assured her it was still a boy. She had a shower and got all boy clothes.

Then she had her baby and......................

it was a GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True story. Her surprise is why I've decided not to find out the sex this time around! It was so exciting!!!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 PM

I'm thinking the likelyhood of them being wrong is very low. Are you excited!?!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 04-02-2008, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I am - I have never cared before what I was having. This time I just wished for a sister for dd, and had really fixated on that, and figured I'd rather know now (after dd was born I had a good cry that she wasn't a boy ) - I wanted to get my head around whatever was going to happen. It is a boy! I am happy about it - I had my emotional moment of wishing it was a girl, but I am getting really excited.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioko View Post
Well here's a true story:

My close friend "felt" she was having a girl and chose her name and everything, then at her 20wk ultrasound they told her it was a boy. She was disappointed but chose a boy name and tried to be excited but kept talking about it being a girl. I told her those u/s are rarely wrong. She was so sure it was a girl she had them check again at 35wks and they assured her it was still a boy. She had a shower and got all boy clothes.

Then she had her baby and......................

it was a GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True story. Her surprise is why I've decided not to find out the sex this time around! It was so exciting!!!!!
the tech was an idiot then, sorry but it's hard to miss boy bits at 35 weeks

User Tag List