Tell me about your "that's impossible!" pregnancy... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or any stories that you know of...

my best friend has gotten pregnant twice- while regularly taking birth control pills.

have you- or someone you know- gotten pregnant with correct use of condoms, bc pills, with an IUD (i know one of those too... but it didn't last )... or other situations where it seemed 'impossible' to get preggers?

just curious!

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#2 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 07:19 PM

I got pregnant with my last taking BCPs(mini pill, I was still nursing) and using condoms.
#3 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM

We've gotten PG on BCP, condoms and using FAM. We're aiming for vasectomy next I think, since this PG (with hyperemesis) has just been more than we can handle.

My sister has good friends who got PG with IUD (stuck), then with tubes tied (stuck) and then with tubes tied AND vasectomy (also stuck). : I'm sticking my head in the sand about them. We couldn't possibly have that bad of luck.
#4 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 07:42 PM

My sister got pregnant while on the pill and later with an IUD. My mum got pregnant on the pill aswell. For some reason, I never had an ooops, though! lol...took us a few months of TTC with FAM.
#5 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 08:00 PM

We like to call my mom "Fertile Myrtle." She got pregnant with my oldest brother while using condoms, and then my second brother at 6 weeks post partum (the boys are 10 1/2 months apart). Seven years later she got pregnant with me while she had an IUD.

After me my dad got the snip, and my mom got pregnant again shortly there after. But she miscarried before she even knew she was pregnant.

With my pregnancy, we conceived the very first time we had unprotected sex two weeks after I stopped taking BCP.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#6 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM

My story is a little different.

I have PCOS. DH has male factor (low morphology)

We underwent fertility treatment with a world renowned reproductive endo. After failed attempts, he told us he felt bad taking our money when it wouldn't lead to anything. He advised that we come up with a different plan. 3 years later (it had now been 5 years since we had started trying to have a family) and we are in the middle of our international adoption paperwork. We had picked our agency, had our check written out and had settled on Guatemala as the country we wanted to adopt through.

3 days away from sending our check, I went to the walk in clinic because I was ill. Surprise, surprise - we were pregnant.

What makes this story even more remarkable, is that DH had spent much of the previous month ill himself. An outpatient tonsillectomy turned into a week long hospital stay because of a severe reaction to anesthesia. He aspirated into his lungs while under the general, and his heart stopped beating. He had a heart attack, and developed double pneumonia. At 29 years old! Little did we know, that I was just barely 1.5-2 weeks pregnant while he was in the hossie.

Add to this, the fact that my body never took over making progesterone, and that I was on vaginal supplements my entire pregnancy, and on bed rest for much of the pregnancy, and we consider our little man our big miracle.

Me:
#7 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 PM

One of each:

My friend got pregnant while (religiously) taking the pill.

And me, I have a story a little more like notwonamesalike -- we'd been trying for five years (with two miscarriages), had finished up our final injectables cycle with nary a second pink line. We had written a lot of checks to the adoption agency and were about to schedule our homestudy when -- yep -- pregnant.

It was especially surprising to me, after my careful avoidance of alcohol, caffeine, and miscellaneous other substances, that it happened after a month of "well, we don't have to worry about getting pregnant, and this will be our last chance to whoop it up before adopting a child" excesses.

I was so stunned that I announced it to my boss thusly: "I'm, um, pregnant somehow. But I don't think it'll last."
#8 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a friend who had a little boy...

And then she had a little girl...

And then her husband had a vascetomy...

And then she was pregnant with another little boy...

And her husband's urologist accused her of being unfaithful to her husband...

She said to the doctor,"With two little ones, how am I going to find the time and energy to be unfaithful?"

What a jerk!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#9 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM

nice to know i'm not the only one.

i was due for my next shot of depo in a few weeks, so for good measure, as we usually did toward the next re-shot date, started using condoms as well.

something failed me. went to get my shot - they always made me pee in a cup *just in case* and whoops. pregnant.

good times.
#10 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
We've gotten PG on BCP, condoms and using FAM. We're aiming for vasectomy next I think, since this PG (with hyperemesis) has just been more than we can handle.

My sister has good friends who got PG with IUD (stuck), then with tubes tied (stuck) and then with tubes tied AND vasectomy (also stuck). : I'm sticking my head in the sand about them. We couldn't possibly have that bad of luck.
um, wow.

notwonanamesalike and leerypolyp, those are beautiful stories!!

oh, and i just remembered a story my friend told me... older friends of her good family friends had 2 kids... both were teenagers. Then the mom got pregnant! Not sure if the dad had been snipped or not, but in any case, they were prob. in their late 40s or early 50s. They both decided that they were too old to raise another child through winters in Maine, so they upped and moved to Hawaii!!

now, that's what i call going with the flow... and making it work!!

a little more info... i'm kind of hoping for an 'impossible' baby myself

my dh wants to get snipped, like yesterday. i have stopped trying to convince him to just give it one more go...plus i can barely convince myself. The thought of doing the 0-3 years again... (except the newborn stage because i love that ) makes me want to stick my head in the sand. My ds is 2 next month and i adore every second of him but man... to do it again? not sure...

BUT! if i got pregnant with an 'impossible' baby? i could embrace that cuz... it was impossible, right? even dh would get on board.

kind of warped... but so is my mind

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#11 of 64 Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM

I have a friend who got pregnant after having her tubes tied. Her cycles were always wonky, but she started to feel......weird. She was in total denial and never took a test, but one day felt what could only be baby movement while out driving around. She called her ob's office and told them what was going on, they said it wasn't possible. She told them she wanted an ultrasound, because she was either pregnant or was going to be recreating the scene from alien soon (and yes, knowing her, she said that). And whammo, 18 weeks pregnant!

DH and I tried for three years with our third and were finally diagnosed with a combination of endometriosis and low sperm count. We gave up and moved on. We went on a weekend away for my 30th birthday........and I came back pregnant. DH now refuses to go back to that hotel out of fear of it's magical powers.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#12 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 AM

A friend had a baby 3 months ago. She had the Mirena IUD. They couldn't remove it so it stayed in the whole pregnancy and they surgically removed it after the birth.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 02:25 AM

I have another one.... it does seem that adoption plans help out with fertility!

A lady I used to work with struggled with infertility for years with her husband, although I don't know the details. The finally adopted a baby girl from China and were thrilled. Once they brought her home they started the process to adopt a second, because if you go back within a year or something there is a lot less paperwork involved.

Right after they got the notice about their second baby girl, she found out she was pregnant.

They went from infertility to three children under the age of 2, in less than a year. They couldn't be happier.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#14 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 AM

A doctor told me I was infertile 9 years ago as I wasn't ovulating and was pretty much a hormonal desert (I also have PCOS). I wasn't having periods, either. Because of this, DH and I didn't bother using contraception, and non-protected sex over that amount of time sorta convinced me that the doc was probably correct. I mean, if I was going to get pg, it would've happened over those 9 years, right?

Nu-uh. It took me a good couple of months of feeling absolutely wretched after a holiday to Las Vegas to figure out that I'd somehow managed to get pg - I'm blaming it on the Nevada sunshine and cocktails in the Fireside Lounge
#15 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM

I was a condom and pill baby. One of my mothers best friends had tried to have a baby for over 15 years with no luck. They tried everthing available to them at the time, and eventually gave up. When she didnt get her period she assumed she was going through menopause, rang up my mum in tears that her dream would never come true, My mum told her to get a pregnancy test just in case. Yup she was pregnant, with twins 3 days before her 40th birthday.
#16 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 AM

My first, I was taking bc religiously, but Dr. neglected to mention to me that antibiotics negate the pill so surprise! I went for a check up for strep throat and I was pregnant. I was 18 at the time so I wasn't really "informed"

With my second, we tried for three years, after many blood tests, biopsies, removal of fibroids and hormone therapy, no luck. We finally switched Dr's because of a change of insurance and within 2 cycles on Clomid, we were pregnant, with twins, but lost one at 15 weeks. I was told that due to my hormonal imbalances, I would probably never really have a chance unless I underwent some serious hormone therapy (hubby wouldn't want to be around me, much less dtd) but lo and behold, 7 months after our little guy got here, we got pregnant, no help, no hormones, but we also TOTALLY weren't expecting it. DS#3 will be here anytime within the next few weeks!
#17 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM

Here's my "impossible pregnancy" story...

I had ds when I was 18 and wasn't able to remember to take a pill everyday, so I opted for depo. I was on depo for 5 years. I got my last shot in Dec '05, went all of '06 without a period, went to my ob in Feb '07 to find out what was going on. I had my hormones tested time and time again, went to see an endo, he did a CAT Scan to make sure I didn't have a tumor on my pituitary gland or anything like that. Everything came back normal and fine. They had no explaintion as to why I still hadn't had a period. Oct '07 rolls around and I have my first period in a loooong time. Nov '07 nothing, same for Dec. All the while I kept taking pg tests just to be sure. I don't drink alot but I would go out with my friends a few time a month and have a few drinks and didn't want to do any harm. Second week of Jan '08 BFP!!! Turns out I somehow go pg in Dec. I'm 18 weeks today! So far everything has been great.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#18 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
My SIL knows someone like this!

Decided they were done after 3 kids, DH got a vasectomy. Pregnant again. DW gets tubes tied. Pregnant again. With TWINS!

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#19 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM

I know a family that had 7 daughters, mom and dad both had the operations (vas and tubes) and when the youngest was somewhere between 8 and 12, i can't remember, they got pregnant with a boy! That poor boy had 8 mothers, but they doted on him like nothing else.

My mom also had a friend go to her 6 week postpartum appointment and find out she was pregnant with TWINS!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#20 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 PM

I started having sex at 16, and only used the pull-out method and the occasional condom. Got married at 19 and went on birth control. Got pregnant 3 months later. Go figure.

#2 I never got my period back after #1.

Oh, and my old LLL leader had a friend who was EBF her first and got pregnant 2 months later-- with triplets!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#21 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 12:47 PM

I also read an article about a woman in her mid-40's who had been infirtile her whole life. When her period stopped she thought it was menopause. She was pretty overweight and built big, so whe never got the real "pregnant belly" and never felt any real movement due to the position of the placenta. She went to the doc one day for bad cramps, and wound up with a healthy baby!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#22 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 01:21 PM

DH's friend got 3 women pregnant. (within a 3 year time frame) All were on the pill and he wore condoms every time. He must have super sperm. Unfortunately, two of the babies did not survive pregnancy.
#23 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

These stories are so fun!

No 'impossible' baby for me this month.. AF arrived today. But i gotta say, all these stories make me want to say, 'sure honey, go and get that vasectomy!' with a giggle!

#24 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM

My DH's parents tried for years to have a child. I'm not sure how entirely long, but I'm thinking probably around 5 years. They went through the process and adopted DH's older sister, and then got pregnant themselves with DH right after they adopted her! Craziness. Infertility runs in the women on his side though.

These pregnant after vasectomy stories are scaring the heck out of me. DH is going to get one since we're done. Both of my boys were conceived the first month of trying, and I reeeeally don't want another. *cry*
#25 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Hmm...well I can't really report anything too miraculous.

My mom was 41 when she found out she was pregnant with me. Never been pregnant before...she was married to a sterile man for about 15 years before divorcing him and meeting my dad in her late 30's. She always assumed she was too old, therefore no protection was used. Surprise!!! I am their first, and only, child.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#26 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM

I was once upon a time told that I'd most likely have difficulty conceiving given the menstrual problems I had. Fast forward ... married June '06, pregnant August '06. And then again in November '07, while not regularly menstruating yet after the first baby, while using a diaphragm with spermicide and with a condom, all together. Didn't want to take any chances, you see. Next time I decide I don't want to chance it I'm just not having sex.
#27 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

i guess the abstinence people do have a point...

#28 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM

thought of another one.

friends of my parents had 1 child and had a vasectomy. When their DD was 22 and they were heading toward 50 the wife thought she was going into menopause only to learn that after all that time *the vasectomy failed* :. Talk about shocked.
#29 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 PM

My mom got pregnant twice on the pill, once with an IUD, and once on purpose.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#30 of 64 Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM

When my aunt was younger her appendix burst which nearly led to death but also alot of scar tissue. She was unable to concieve and finally after several surgies to remove scar tissue and she had a dd. After that she had several more surgeries. One was to remove a tube and ovary. The other they said was non functioning. 10 years after her dd was born she discovered she was pg...but the egg did not come from the ovary that was left. No. Her other ovary and tube grew back! They should have removed it years before lol.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page