How do I grow a nice chubby baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd was born at 36.5 wks and was 6lbs 13oz
ds was born just before 38 weeks and was 7lbs 3oz

If I want a nice chubby baby this time what do I need to eat?

ETA:

This is not about getting a cute, rolly baby. Mine get that way soon enough.

Both of my other pregnancies I had a lot of issues with food and nausea. I had such severe nausea and heartburn my food choices were limited. This time I'm feeling pretty good and have more options so I want to know how many calories I should consume, how much protein, what specific types of food have the best nutrition for a growing baby.

Please take this in the best way possible and don't make negative assumptions.

And as to answer additional questions by other posters: dh and both were about 8.5-9lbs at birth (I think I was 8-12 and he was 8-8). We are both average height at 5'5" and 5'11". We are both overweight. With other pregnancies I gained 20lbs.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#2 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
um... food? My kids were big but I didn't do anything more than usual.... I'm not sure what you're looking for, I guess.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Were your children unhealthy at their birthweights?
If not I would not worry about chunkiness and would not strive for the chunk simply for aesthetic reasons.
#4 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
um... food? My kids were big but I didn't do anything more than usual.... I'm not sure what you're looking for, I guess.
Okay. Well, I do eat obviously but what I'm looking for is X grams of protein or something like that.

so many of the mothers on here have nice big babies and I'm wondering why that happens. It seems that mdc members are more likely than the general public to have a 9lb baby (perhaps that's because they are less likely to induce early?)

#5 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 PM

Excluding medical conditions or famine, people who eat normal diets either have chubby babies or they don't. It's probably genetic. Sounds like you don't. What's the big deal, exactly?
#6 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
so many of the mothers on here have nice big babies
I don't get the association of "nice" with "big" (no offense to mothers of large babes intended). Why would you want a big baby?
#7 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM

i have heard that most people have a bigger baby each pregnancy. So maybe this will be your big one. I stay stick to a healthy diet and excersise. Baby will be healthy either way!
#8 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:22 PM

I totally understand the desire for a big healthy baby. I think that many lower weight babies look unhealthy.

Dd was 8lbs 12 oz. I suggest focusing on lots of protein all the way through. Make as many of your snacks protein heavy as you can. Make sure you get plenty of good fats. I don't believe in major restrictions, but obviously don't go all day just eating cookies and ice cream

-Angela
#9 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 PM

I think it might just be a matter of genetics. My sister only gained 22 pounds with her first baby, who was born at 40 weeks and weighed around 9 pounds. During that pregnancy, she craved (and ate) tons of protein.

With her second child, she craved nothing but carbs and indulged her cravings mightily. She gained 55 pounds. That baby was born at 38 weeks and weighed around 8 pounds 6 ounces. He might have weighed a little more than his sister had he been born at 40 weeks, but not too much.

Same person, drastically different diet, same (general) baby weight.
#10 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:38 PM

I think those weights sound good considering the fact that both were well before 40 weeks. How long were they? Heck, my dd was born at 40+2 and was 7 lb. 4 oz/19.5 inches, but me being on the smaller side I guess that was the perfect size for me?

That being said I would agree with the PPs.... protein is a good thing (I know for me it definitely helps head off cravings for less healthy things). Can't hurt, might help I'm concentrating a lot more on my protein intake this pregnancy yet gaining less weight myself, and I'm curious to see if the baby's weight is drastically different.

I'm also always in awe of all the mamas with big babies here. I guess in the mainstream world women with babies over 8 lb. are pressured to induce or have a c-section (only to have the baby turn out to be not that large a lot of times!) I also think it's cool that so many women here have big, healthy full term twins!
#11 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 PM

I think it's genetics too. My first was 9 pds 2 oz and was born at 41 weeks I gained 20 pds with that pregnancy. Second was 8 pds born at 37 weeks and I think I gained about 30 pounds maybe. Right now this baby is already measuring big as well.

One annoying this was that with my first I would constantly hear "There is no way you could have had such a big baby!" even from the nurses : I'm skinny but that doesn't mean that I can't have a bigger baby!

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#12 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
obviously don't go all day just eating cookies and ice cream

-Angela
PARTY POOPER
#13 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachgirl View Post
PARTY POOPER
Notice I didn't say AVOID cookies and ice cream Just eat good stuff to balance it out

-Angela
#14 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Excluding medical conditions or famine, people who eat normal diets either have chubby babies or they don't. It's probably genetic. Sounds like you don't. What's the big deal, exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I don't get the association of "nice" with "big" (no offense to mothers of large babes intended). Why would you want a big baby?
Who knew this would be so controversial!?

Its not a big deal. My other babies have been pretty small and had some of the minor issues related to smaller size (more sleepy than usual and latching on difficulties).

#15 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Notice I didn't say AVOID cookies and ice cream Just eat good stuff to balance it out

-Angela
LOL.... my thoughts exactly. I enjoy my ice cream a few times a week.... hey, it has protein and calcium right?
#16 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:51 PM

I don't know if the extra chub really makes them healthier. DD was born 5 lb 13 oz, had a rough start after birth, but was then extremely healthy once breathing well. She didn't get her first fever until 27 months old. She is/was always advanced developmentally. DS was a full term (2 days shy of 40 weeks) a chubby 8 lb 7 oz, and had the cubbiest cheeks I ever saw. He had severe jaundice, ftt, and had his first cold and fever at 2 months old. He isn't considered developmentally delayed, but he is not meeting milestones anywhere near as fast as dd did.

But anyway... Eat healthy. Eat enough. Eat lots of protein, fruits and veggies, whole grains. Drink lots of water. Get enough exercise and rest. But you knew that.
#17 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:52 PM

I thought it was genetic. I was almost 9 pounds at birth, my dh was over 9 pounds at birth, our kids have been 9 and 10 pounders. Although I will admit to eating lots of ice cream bars with the 10 pounder. it was cheaper to eat tons of ice cream than install another air conditioner :P

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#18 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
I thought it was genetic. I was almost 9 pounds at birth, my dh was over 9 pounds at birth, our kids have been 9 and 10 pounders. Although I will admit to eating lots of ice cream bars with the 10 pounder. it was cheaper to eat tons of ice cream than install another air conditioner :P
Dh and I both were 8.5lb babies but I believe both of our moms went to their due dates and maybe slightly beyond.
Makes me wonder how long I'd have gone with dd if they didn't take her out early.

#19 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Both my babies were small, 5lbs 3oz and 6lbs 1oz, and both healthy.
With the first I had sever HG and she suffered IUGR.
With the second I had an easy breezy preg. and gained tons of weight. I don't know why she wasn't heavier with all the better foods I was eating... I think babies just get as big as they can, no matter what/how we eat
#20 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Well... I'm one of those MDC mamas who has big babies. Dd was 8 pounds, 11 oz. and ds was 10 pounds, 2 oz. They both were chubby newborns with folds on their limbs and double/triple chins. There's no telling how much this had to do with my diet though, I think genetics plays a huge role. For one thing, both dh and I are tall people (he's 6'2" and I'm 5'11"). However, he and I were both only 7 1/2 pounds at birth.

I followed the Brewer diet pretty closely when pregnant with dd and pretty loosely when pregnant with ds (10 pounds, 2 oz). I felt that the diet really made me healthy through pregnancy. It's major focus is eating lots of proteins. The hardest part for me was making myself eat two eggs every day: http://nutrition.birthingnaturally.n...iles/frame.htm

On the Brewer diet, I gained more than 50 pounds with each pregnancy. But after 12 months of breastfeeding dd, I was back to pre-pregnancy weight. Now, after 2 months of tandem nursing a toddler and a newborn I'm still 30 pounds heavier than pre-pregnancy, but it's falling off measurably.

My dd was born : in May 2006 and my ds was born : in February 2008. : :
: We're on an extended tandem nursing adventure! :
#21 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM

I don't think 6 pound babies are abnormal or small. Mine were 6lbs 15 oz and 6lbs 8oz. Both term, both healthy. Both wonderful, intervention free births, no tears and no problems. I actually think it's strange that so many people are having 9 and 10 pounders That seems huge to me!

A

Eta- i gained 45lbs with the first and 55lbs with the second. I think it's just genetics.

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#22 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 PM

I don't think there's anything you can do to influence this. I was on a "triplets" high cal/pro diet with my second because she wasn't growing well. She didn't grow anyway (2.2 pounds at birth 33 weeks) and I got HUGE. With my first I gained a TON (80 pounds) on total crap and she was 7.7 at 38 weeks. My last was 6.6 at 36 weeks and I only gained 19 pounds. I think my two nearly term kids would've been about the same weight at term.
#23 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
My other babies have been pretty small and had some of the minor issues related to smaller size (more sleepy than usual and latching on difficulties).
i work with a lot of BF moms, and size has absolutely nothing to do with latch issues (except if it's a preemie, of course).

size also has nothing to do with sleepiness -- but any drugs administered during labor or birth certainly make the baby sleepier.

your babies sound absolutely normal in size, by the way -- i wouldn't worry at all if i were you
#24 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 03:12 PM

As the mama of two DSs--10 lbs, 11 oz, and 11 lbs, 0.4 oz, I would say that a healthy, organic diet with a daily dose of organic ice cream in the evening is the plan that worked for me. I didn't gain much weight with either pregnancy (like 30 lbs total), had no GD issues--just big, healthy boys. I do think heredity does play a role--all the men in my family are big, DS is 6'3" and sturdy and I'm 5'8". Neither of my boys were "chubby," though, just thick and solid.
#25 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 PM

My DD was only 6 lbs 2 oz at term. She knew what she was doing though, nursed like a pro right away and never lost an ounce! By 2 months she was a real chunker, triple chins, screw-on hands, thunder thighs... Now at 2 yrs she's slim and petite.

Babies take what they need from your body no matter what you eat.
#26 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 04:15 PM

Megan, the weights of your first two don't sound terribly small, especially considering their gestational ages. I would expect that the problems you experienced, like latch issues, *might* have more to do with their age and neurological development than their weights.

How much did you weigh at birth? How big are you and your husband (rhetorical questions, you don't really have to answer). You would probably consider my children small at birth - 6lbs10oz, 7-9, and 7-3. But I'm short/petite and my husband has a slender frame and average height. Our kids have our genes! They were born at 40 weeks, 40 weeks, and almost 42 weeks, and all of them nursed well and became plump infants. Our third child had the longest pregnancy and is the most slender of the three, oddly. He just picked the slim genes.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#27 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM

My DS was born 9 lbs 14 oz, but I'm quite sure that had nothing to do with diet - my DH is 6'8" and 250lbs. GENETICS!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#28 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 PM

My daughter weighed 9 pounds, 5 ounces and was 20 inches long. I gained 65 pounds. I am 5'10" and weigh roughly 300 pounds.

Dh is 5'8" and weighs 250.

I weighed 8 pounds at birth and so did he.

But now at 7 our dd is of average height and very slim.
#29 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
Megan, the weights of your first two don't sound terribly small, especially considering their gestational ages. I would expect that the problems you experienced, like latch issues, *might* have more to do with their age and neurological development than their weights.
ITA with that. I notice a lot more 37 and 38 week babies having these issues than 40 week babies, regardless of weight.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#30 of 66 Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 PM

Can I be honest here?

IMO, this wanting a specific kind of baby smells of genetic engineering. If you babe is healthy, no matter what they look like, be happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page