Depends vs pads for after birth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okay dumb question of the day, but for those of you who have used the depends, are the cottony or that nasty driweave, type stuff
#62 of 85 Old 05-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selena_ski View Post
okay dumb question of the day, but for those of you who have used the depends, are the cottony or that nasty driweave, type stuff

:
I've been wondering too!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#63 of 85 Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I have not used them....but I would guess they would just be like really big pads.
*shrugs*
#64 of 85 Old 05-09-2008, 05:59 PM

bumping for someone that might have more knowledge
#65 of 85 Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Depends all the way! I used them for the first 2 or 3 days after. Those horrid things they hand out in the hospital (pads from the middle ages I assume) are useless. The next time around (which will be late Nov or early Dec for me) I am going to bring some super diaps to the hospital with me. No shame, it's just easier, more confortable, less messy, etc, etc.

I had uncommonly, massive swelling for a couple days after (couldn't sit or walk with my legs together). Even one of my recovery nurses said, "Oh my goodness! Thats not normal honey." when examining me a half day after I gave birth. Pads rub too closely to the skin and cause irratation. Also, unless you can find some pads made with incredible material (none of the drug store brands) they also, are likely to cause hygiene issues, rash, or even infection if worn over swollen or broken skin. If you end up with external stitches a pad is likely to catch on them (because of close contact) and that wouldn't be so comfortable. Although the diapers aren't very easily hidden under clothes, you aren't likely to be doing much walking out on the town for a few days anyway.

The Depends (or cheaper off brand adult diapers) have wetness absorbtion and protection all around so you can more easily sleep and BF in any desired position without having to worry about leaking. For the first couple days of heavy bleeding (much worse than heavy menstral flow in most cases) the Depends allow you to relax a bit because you're not running (or waddling slowly and in pain in my case) to thebathroom every hour on the dot to avoid overflow.

It certainly won't hurt to buy a pack and try it. Have both ready for after your birth.

Also, the hospital I went to also used infant diapers for this purpose. They would put an ice pack into the underwear then an infant diaper open on top of it. You had that lovely cooling effect and the absorbtion of the infant diaper. BUT, the infant diaper really only works while you're laying or sitting in one position without moving. For the same effect I'd suggest buying a pack of comfy Granny panties to wear over Depends. You could easily put an ice pack in the underwear to help with swelling.

Ok, done rambling.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#66 of 85 Old 05-10-2008, 07:43 PM

In the hospital with my 1st, they used frozen newborn diapers (at least that's what they looked like). So this time (having a hb), I'm thinking about using a couple of DD's Seventh Generation training pants opened up inside one of those mesh panties. Has anyone tried this?

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#67 of 85 Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 PM

I loved the GIANT pads w/ mesh underwear if you're having a HB you can order them online from a hb supply store. If you are having a hospital birth they'll give you some and you can ask for more. My advice is to get as many of the giant pads as the nurses will give you.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#68 of 85 Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 AM

I used them both times and was grateful to have them. In my first few days of periods I am likely to go through a super pad in an hour to hour and a half. I'm a redhead, a bleeder. After birth bleeding is insane. They felt pretty similar to a regular pad. They didn't have that mesh dri-weave layer on top that sticks to you. They gave them to me at the hospital. They also wet a newborn diaper and froze it and gave me those right after birth, very nice. If you're birthing at a hospital, I'd call ahead to the hospital and ask what they provide. I made the mistake of way overpacking the first time around. I would also ask what the charges are for pads and depends and diapers and such. There is often a routine charge up to a certain amount whether you use them or not, so better to use them. Also, to the mama who asked about the herbs, they were probably bath herbs and are just heavenly for a sore post-baby bottom.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#69 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
Ok so this is the second time this week that I have seen a thread about this on different forums. Before this week I had never heard of using depends. Where has this been for the last 3 pregnancies?!?!?!?!
I am definatly going to get some. I spill so easily, and I hate that pads twist and shift. I didn't even think about depends.
Thanks Ladies!!!
DITTO EXACTLY!! (except I am on baby #3, so why didn't someone tell me about this for the frist TWO! ) Soooooo off to Target in the morning! Ha ha ha

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#70 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM

Two of my friends thought I was crazy for doing this and they already have 2 kids. When #3 came along, they tried it and LOVED IT. It was so much easier, no leaking and the ice packs were easier to use.
#71 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM

I'm a cloth user and made my own, waaaaaay more cost effective. I REALLY didn't like pads and used a Diva cup but I needed the pads just for a little extra security Once I tried the cloth pads I didn't mind them. They are totally different then the plastic ones. I will be making extra thick ones for PP.

Honestly, once you try a cloth pad you will realize just how comfortable they are, MUCH, much, much different then regular plastic, sticky pads, yuck!!

Try cutting a few pieces of flannelette and place in your underwear to try it out.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#72 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM

subbing so I remember to come back and read - but little guy is demanding pool time

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#73 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 PM

i bought walmarts brand. i think its called assurance. i loved them. my daughter is 12 days old and i am still using them. i am a heavy bleeder so i find them much more convenient. i have not leaked at all. i did the pads one day when i went to church and did leak. luckily i was wearing black.

i am not sure what they are made of but they are comfy.
#74 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 09:37 PM

So did anyone ever say if the Depends are cottony or dry-weavy?

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#75 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 PM

I plan on using some of my dd's 7th gen training pants (opened at the seams).

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#76 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 PM

http://www.poise.com/Products/Panty.aspx

With my second, I used the Poise panty -- and it was the BEST! I hate worrying about my underware, having to wash so much, and the hospital pads and mesh panties drive me nuts.

I felt only slightly guilty about it being disposable. I use cloth as much as possible, but I felt this was a necessity.
#77 of 85 Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 PM

Some mentioned that the Depends are too bulky to hide easily under clothing...are the Poise panties any different?

I've had PPH with my last 2 births but with all 3 I've passed a pretty large (large lemon to orange size) clot the day or two after. It'd be nice to know that I had a little more protection in that instance, particularly if I need to go out since dh will still be recovering from surgery.

Thanks,
Cindy

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#78 of 85 Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
Ok yesterday while at walmart I looked into the depends more. I ended up buying the walmart brand of adult diapers (as embarrassing as it was...hehe).
I paid 9 or 10 bucks for a 30 pack. I do not plan on using them all but I have several other friends that are pregnant and some are doing homebirths, so I figured I would share since buying a pack half that size was the same price! *scratches head*

I got the belted underwear things. It says one size fits all.....but I am a little leary of that statement.
Anyone have any experience with "Assurrance" brand and/or belted adult diapers? What about one size fits all?

I just want to make sure that I have bought the thing that will work best for me. If not, I can always take them back and get the right ones (providing they are not opened). I only plan on using a few of them....maybe a couple a day for the first 2-3 days. I bleed more than a regular or extra strength pad can hold (atleast for the first few days). The thought of people actually being able to use normal pads for the first day or so without having to change them a million times in one day..is a baffling thought to me. I have used the gigantic hospital pads and I still have soaked them pretty good and have to change them more than I like to. Even with the huge pads, I would always have a chuck under me while sitting/laying for the first few days. And in many instances, I would still notice leaking.

So I hope these depend "want a be things" work well too. They were just a little cheaper than actual depends brand.....but I have found that many times off brands are just as good and sometimes even better than the higher priced name brands.

Any advice?
ok so I used these after I had my baby.....
I can not say that I was overly happy. Depends may be better but I was not pleased with mine.
Here is why...
only came with one set of belts.....so it makes it hard for me to give the remaining pack to other people....since it is kind of weird to share the belts (atleast in my opinion)....although it did come with a mail in coupon for more belts.......
also the belts were hard to find...I had to rip open the whole bag and dig through to find them
they were way too big for me ....not around the waist but they sagged and caused irritation....but this may be because they are one size fits all
they were bulky....but I expected that

so I would not suggest these......maybe it would work better for a bigger person than me.
#79 of 85 Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 AM

I would suggest to everyone the pull up underwear style depends. I used them with my ds's birth and they rocked! They were soft, comfy, didn't press or irritate my belly or other areas. Pad's caused leaking on the bed etc. and these were awesome for no leaking. They didn't show under pants etc. and weren't bulky. In other words, they were perfect.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#80 of 85 Old 06-21-2008, 04:07 PM

just used generic depends after my homebirth and LOVED them. can't believe it took me 5 kids to figure out how great they are!!!
#81 of 85 Old 06-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Once I tried cotton/hemp pads or prefolds for my postpartum pads I'll never use another paper product. The cloth is sooo much more comfortable!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#82 of 85 Old 06-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Don't know if this has already been suggested, but once my flow slowed down a little bit - maybe after 4-5 days - I used cloth diapers! (Not ones that were shared with ds, lol.) I supposed it's pretty much the same as using a cloth pad. I highly, highly recommend it.
#83 of 85 Old 06-21-2008, 07:57 PM

I will NOT use Depends or any off-brand after the new babe comes. They have the same kind of gel in them that disposable diapers have, and I think those little gel pellets may have interfered with the healing in my case. On the package of disposable dipes they say it's harmless and can be wiped off your babe's skin, but for broken skin....no thanks! It was incredibly painful.

I'll probably use disposable maxi pads, or some cloth pads. I have a few, and the pp's are right, you can't beat 'em for comfort.
#84 of 85 Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 PM

i think the Depends are probably cottony-cover and not the weirdo plasticky dry-weave stuff. i bought a pack of Affirm (Target's generic brand) and they are cottony. i don't like the idea of using them because of the chemicals, but i know i bled a lot for about a week or so after ds was born so i decided to buy them for just-in-case. whatever i don't use, i plan on giving to my midwives so they can pass them on to other clients of theirs that might need them. one could always post them on freecycle or craig's list as well, if they had some they needed to pass on...anyways, if i do use some of them i will probably only be using them for the initial period of really heavy flow and then switch to my momma cloth.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#85 of 85 Old 06-22-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
In the hospital with my 1st, they used frozen newborn diapers (at least that's what they looked like). So this time (having a hb), I'm thinking about using a couple of DD's Seventh Generation training pants opened up inside one of those mesh panties. Has anyone tried this?
I also used newborn diapers last time (and also for my miscarriage) and plan on having some around if the pads are too messy. We keep some disposable diapers around for trips, so I think I have a dozen or so that I can use for the first few days.

Those Poise Panties do look pretty good though!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page