Depends vs pads for after birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have seen it mentioned a few times on here that women like to use Depends for the first 24-48 hours after birth instead of pads.

Any thoughts on this?

I know some women also like cloth pads but I am just not a pad person and the likelihood of them getting used for normal periods is pretty darn unlikely, so I don't think it would be worth the financial commitment for me (i.e. buying them to only use postpartum).

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#2 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 05:18 PM

I used Depends with my third birth and wooooooo they are way better and more convenient than pads! They are also great to have on hand if your water breaks, because every contraction afterwards, you will gush fluid and it is ANNOYING! lol

#3 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Do they hold pretty well? I know when I have my period (heavy bleeder) if I am using a pad I always have leaking issues. I don't want to deal with having to change my sheets that often!

If you go with Depends how many should you buy?

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#4 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 05:26 PM

I used depends while I was laboring at home and they were great. Without them, I would have been gushing fluid (with lots of meconium) all over the place. I ended up with two c/sections, so I didn't need them after the birth, but I imagine they would be way better than pads.
#5 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Oh, and they are very absorbent. They hold A LOT. Way more than a pad would.
#6 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM

I never used Depends. After my water broke, I gushed. It didn't bother me.

After the birth, I did not bleed enough to warrant using Depends.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#7 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM

I just used Depends after the birth of my 3rd baby. Previous two births, I used the typical hospital mesh panties with humongous hospital pads.

The Depends are sooooooooooooo much better. They were much more comfortable, and I never once leaked when I was wearing them. In fact, I enjoyed them so much I used them until the package was gone before switching to normal thin pads on my regular underwear.

I'm with you, I'm not a pad person. I also considered cloth pads for PP bleeding this time around, but decided the expense wouldn't be worth it since as soon as I can, I'll switch back to my Diva cup, and the pads wouldn't get any more use. So yeah, give the Depends a try, I think you'll like it.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#8 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM

I used Depends for the first night and then Long Ultra - Thin Pads.

The Depends just made me feel safer, less likely to leak.
#9 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Yeah I had never thought about using depends instead of pads until a couple of days ago I was walking by the depends and it struck me....why not?

I hate having to change pads all the time.....I do use pads (for my normal period) and already have a lot of them on hand....but for the first few days after birth I am not sure that a pad would be the best and like I said....I hate having to change them a lot.

With my last delivery, I had some left over hospital pads and mesh undies (I like mesh undies...lol) from the hospital and birthing center that my two prior were born at, so I finished those off but now I do not have anymore and had been wondering what to do.

A part of me does not want to deal with buying depends since I have a ton of pads (my mom buys in bulk and bought them for herself but them she went into menopause so she gave them to me. I honestly have several packs of them!) But the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of depends (although I do not want to look like I am wearing a diaper). I would probably just wear them for a day or so. It would be great if you could just buy a pack of two or three. About how many comes in the smallest pack? I do not want a lot left over..

Although now that I think about it, why not just buy the depends and hold the pads aside for my normal periods on down the road. It is not like pads go bad or anything! I still have many many years of periods (providing I stop having kids!!!....I have almost forgotten what it is like to have normal periods....I have not had but maybe 5 or so normal periods in the past 4 and half years!...because of pregnancy and nursing)
And with that being said, I probably would not be going back to my normal period (providing my hubby lets me nurse this time) for almost a year. Those pads have been setting in there for about 2 years or so....so I guess they can sit for another year!

So how do depends work....are they basically a diaper type thing or are they like a big pad that goes on the undies?
I did not look at them closely the other day I just saw them from down the isle.
#10 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 06:20 PM

But can you use the ice pad thingys with depends? Cause I totally love those.
#11 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 06:32 PM

After having to caretake for a paralysed person about 5 years ago and having to change their adult diapers, not sure if I could bring myself to buy Depends for myself.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#12 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 PM

After delivery I always bleed way more than a regular period. I use cloth pads during regular periods, but trying to contain my post-partum flow in a cloth pad...not happenin'.

With both previous deliveries I used the depends "guards" or something. They are wide with sticky that goes into your regular underwear. I found a similar picture

http://www.hdis.com/itemdetail.asp?id=115
http://www.hdis.com/itemdetail.asp?id=739

Mostly, I needed these just for the first 3 days or so, then I was able to switch over to my normal pads. I hate those thick things the hospitals give you, although the mesh undies are nice!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#13 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM

I'm curious about this too. I'm in the lunapads co-op and cant decide if i want the pp pads or to just skip those and get depends and use the lunapads for regular periods.

Tabitha happily married to Steven - Mama to 4 little ones and another on the way!
#14 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
But can you use the ice pad thingys with depends? Cause I totally love those.
YES!!!

I love putting a ice pad inside a depends, because then you can move around and the depends catches the melting of the pad.
#15 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
So how do depends work....are they basically a diaper type thing or are they like a big pad that goes on the undies?
I did not look at them closely the other day I just saw them from down the isle.
there are different kinds,the ones that go in your underwear, diapers and adult pull up type things.
#16 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM

I'm loving the depends! I'd rather not try to stuff huge pads into my regular underwear. The first few days, I used pads in the depends. They were much more comfortable than the alternative.
#17 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM

ewwww ya'll want to wear adult diapers... I always just wore extra heavy pads and they worked just fine for bleeding after birth.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#18 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 PM

I used the adult diaper pull-on type. They are great, IMO. I am a serious bleeder -- like, for the first 6-12 hours I end up needing to change the Depend every hour or two. I used about half a package after my second baby, I used a full package after my first.
#19 of 85 Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermommy View Post
I'm curious about this too. I'm in the lunapads co-op and cant decide if i want the pp pads or to just skip those and get depends and use the lunapads for regular periods.
I try to use as much reusable stuff as possible and avoid disposable, but I strongly believe in making everything as easy peasy as possible during labor and for those first days postpartum. If that means I use a few disposable items, so be it. Sure beats having yet another load of laundry that needs to be done while I am busy falling in love with my baby.
#20 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 AM

So which kind of the depends are the way to go? I was thinking about getting some. I got one pack of overnight pads but I am all for being comfortable and I think the depends sound more convenient and comfy than the pads.
#21 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativarain1 View Post
ewwww ya'll want to wear adult diapers... I always just wore extra heavy pads and they worked just fine for bleeding after birth.
Oh please, lol. Seriously if wearing an adult version of a pull-up makes my life easier for a those few days after birth, I could give a rat's booty. And then me and my husband could make lots of hilarious jokes about it...

#22 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
Oh please, lol. Seriously if wearing an adult version of a pull-up makes my life easier for a those few days after birth, I could give a rat's booty. And then me and my husband could make lots of hilarious jokes about it...
I couldn't agree more Jenna. I am a bit beyond the stage in my life where wearing an 'adult diaper' after giving birth would cause irreversible shame.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#23 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Last time, I was in the hospital and they had these massive pads, more like a chux curved to fit in your thighs. And they barely did the job for me for the first 3 or 4 days. I don't know if you can buy anything like that. I'm familiar with the large incontinence pads of the sort you can wear in your underwear, ie Poise, from family member care, and these were even larger than those.

This time, I will hopefully be able to manage lying in, so maybe I'll just lounge around on chux pads for a few days. I'm also thinking that without sOB management I won't bleed as heavily. I ordered a couple boxes of natra care pads, and after that I'll go back to my cloth stash.
#24 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4004 View Post
I couldn't agree more Jenna. I am a bit beyond the stage in my life where wearing an 'adult diaper' after giving birth would cause irreversible shame.
Hehe, no kidding. I dribble now; I'm prepared for the possibility that I'll be in them in 20 or 30 years. What's the shame in our bodies not functioning at optimal? Annoying, frustrating, maybe even disappointing. But not shameful.
#25 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativarain1 View Post
What's ewwww about it? Either way something is catching the massive amounts of gook pouring out of your vag. What's the big deal? And like a PP said, there's a good chance you might need them much more often in about 30-40 years.

I'm considering using Depends too...at least for maybe the first day or so. I do have a nice postpartum pad stash I made too.
#26 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM

I used the Depends that don't fasten....you pull them up and down like underwear.

Those Depends were the best thing EVER. EVER. No twisting, no "misses" onto my undies/sheets. It was fantastic.

I wore them after all 3 of my births thanks to my MW with DS#1. Best advice ever. And I totally have no shame about it.
#27 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM

Ok so this is the second time this week that I have seen a thread about this on different forums. Before this week I had never heard of using depends. Where has this been for the last 3 pregnancies?!?!?!?!
I am definatly going to get some. I spill so easily, and I hate that pads twist and shift. I didn't even think about depends.
Thanks Ladies!!!

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#28 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
What's ewwww about it? Either way something is catching the massive amounts of gook pouring out of your vag. What's the big deal? And like a PP said, there's a good chance you might need them much more often in about 30-40 years.

I'm considering using Depends too...at least for maybe the first day or so. I do have a nice postpartum pad stash I made too.
Exactly.

#29 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM

By the way I totally agree that there is no shame and no problem with using whatever is best and most comfortable. I hate feeling wet, I hate feeling gooey and I hate the pads that don't stay in place and I hate messing up undies and sheets so the depends sound SO MUCH BETTER for those first few messy days. Nothing ewww about it
#30 of 85 Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 PM

ewww was my opinion of me even remotely thinking of wearing one, there should be no shame involved if you all decide to buy them. I personally was speaking for myself. I just wouldn't do it, nor find it comfortable. jmo

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page