Crib question-how important is slat distance really? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-03-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, so we're not planning on using a crib for the 1st few months and I certainly don't want to spend a fortune on one. Our neighbor brought over a crib that's been in their family for over 30 yrs. It's actually in very good condition and would be perfect except....the distance between the slats is almost 3 inches. According to the latest safety data they are supposed to be 2 3/8th or less.

I was just wondering how important is this. If we used a crib bumper is that enough? I should mention that this crib has been used for 7 babies so far... but of course I wouldn't want MY baby to be the one that gets stuck.

We can afford a basic new crib but I love to reuse stuff too.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
#2 of 13 Old 05-03-2008, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The reason slat distance is of concern is that babies/small children can put their heads between the slats and suffocate. To my understanding crib bumpers are no longer recommended because of the chance of the baby rolling into it and suffocating.
#3 of 13 Old 05-03-2008, 06:47 PM

I would not risk it. I think even newer cribs are dangerous.

For my DD, I never got one, she slept with me at night and either on my bed, a mattress on the floor or a little baby chair when I did not want her in the sling during the day. I got her a big kid bed when she was 1 and she started using it very, very gradually.

Cribs remind me of cages or jail cells, but if you want to use one, get the safest one you can get.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#4 of 13 Old 05-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Cribs don't remind me of cages or prisons but to each his own!

Crib safety is paramount. No bumpers during infancy. I did see something today on BRU, a woven soft screen-like barrier to wind around the interior of the crib. This may be helpful if you insist on using the family crib.

GL!
#5 of 13 Old 05-03-2008, 08:32 PM

I say, since you will be moving baby over to the crib in a few months, his/her head will have grown by then. I would measure baby's head, then see if that measurement could possibly fit between the slats. If not, then there's really no reason to fear entrapment. That's my opinion. I also use a very old crib that my mom used for me when I was a babe (I'm 27yrs old). I think she called it a Jamie Lynn (or Lynd) or something... both DD's used it. With DD1 I heard about that slat width thing and checked to see if her 5mo head would fit. I layed her down with her head centered between two slats and she had about an inch of extra head on either side. No way she would get in there.

I would recommend making certain that there is no where on the crib that clothing can get caught though and make sure you can get a mattress that fits snuggly. Once baby gets mobile there's a chance they can get their clothes hooked and strangled. Make sure the crib has all it's parts and original screws/fasteners and tighten them securely. Also you may want to test the paint for lead. There are baby bumpers available that allow air to flow freely too...

Otherwise, enjoy your heirloom crib!
#6 of 13 Old 05-03-2008, 10:48 PM

I've also heard of babies getting their whole bodies through the crib slats and then their heads getting stuck in the crib and the baby haning there by its head. Yikes!

Sarah
#7 of 13 Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Sioko, it would be a Jenny Lind.

I would be very careful about that crib...I would NOT put baby in it for a long time. Even if their head can't fit thru, their bodies can.
#8 of 13 Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 AM

As PPs stated, it's the body size that is the issue, not the head size. I saw a news article a few years ago that included a picture of a re-creation of a scene where a baby was found strangled in a crib. They used a doll but it was still totally chilling and heart-breaking. The body had slipped through the slats and the doll was hanging with its head stuck.
#9 of 13 Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 AM

My little brother managed to hang himself through his crib bars and dangle by his neck, so it's definitely a risk. He's managed to survive to 33 since, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christigpa View Post
Crib safety is paramount. No bumpers during infancy. I did see something today on BRU, a woven soft screen-like barrier to wind around the interior of the crib. This may be helpful if you insist on using the family crib.
This is what I was going to suggest: don't bother with bumpers, get a mesh shielding system. I googled "crib mesh shield" and it came up with a few hits, i.e.
http://www.securebaby.com/crib_shields_all.html.

I'd rather re-use on old crib (I'm refurbing an old moses basket at the moment) than buy new. The mesh system sounds like it would do the job.
#10 of 13 Old 05-04-2008, 01:01 PM

If a soda can will fit through the slat then the slats are to wide. Babies are to wonderful of a gift to chance loosing them. Like the pp said babies can wiggle their legs through the slats and actually hang themselves. I personally would NEVER chance a babies saftey if I knew better. Could you live with yourself IF something happened no matter how many babies had slept in the bed prior.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#11 of 13 Old 05-04-2008, 01:27 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't chance it. I like to re-use things as much as possible too, but I draw the line at safety - that's just me though.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#12 of 13 Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 PM

When dd was one year we transfered her over to an antique crib that was the one my husbands 94 yr old grandmother slept in. We use one of the mesh zip-up things and it works great. It is so cozy and pretty inside, like sleeping under a mosquito net, and keeps her safe.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#13 of 13 Old 05-05-2008, 01:43 AM

We never used our crib for anything but storing blankets until DS was 2.5. The heirloom crib is great if you will use it to hold blankets or folded laundry until your child is much larger, otherwise I'd skip it. We have one of those mesh things and there is no way it would keep a baby from wiggling through the slats...we used it only to keep DS from sticking his arms and legs through the slats and then waking up when he wanted to turn over...he still managed to get a leg through occasionally. (another thing to check, if the crib is painted, was it painted with lead paints? If from the 1970's or earlier it may have been)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page