Let's Talk About NOT Cutting The Cord - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 05-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayogurtsmearedsari View Post
Of course not! I sometimes am not clear on how I word myself. I of course do not cut my children. Buddhists do not circumcise boys or girls. And yes, I breastfeed! "CLW" actually. I'll go add a note to that post...

ETA: I though I should be a little more clear about the Buddhist and not cutting. A Buddhist is sworn to Ahimsa, so, circumcision is an act of violence. Well, I know nothing of Zen Buddhism, though, I should point out.

Oh, and it's not just my choice. My husband is actually very hands off and natural. So for those reasons he would never circucise or etc. He's a complete "lactivist" too. Actually, he gets all the credit for our children not being vaccinated and such. I would have been esily convinced about the health benefits of them, but he is very anti-vaccinations. And now that I've learned more about them, I am so very thankful to his convictions. It's scary to think I could have allowed that stuff to have been put in my babies! I was upset about the shots hurting, but I had never thought of what was *in* them very deeply. With a third world background, you can easily fall into the trap of trusting all miracle vaccines.

Anyway, we were talking about placentas, right?

ETATA: I put the biggest no circ sign in my signature.

Alright! The way I read it was so backwards to where you had been up until then : My bad *woo!* Ok, back to topic...
#62 of 66 Old 05-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
You bring meat home from the grocery and you don't worry about it taking 30-45 minutes to make it to the fridge.
You also cook it to kill any pathogens. (And yes, many people do worry about it sitting out that long.)
#63 of 66 Old 05-08-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
Its strange that a doctor says, "clam the cord asap or it could kill the baby if you delay" yet they want to put that same blood back into a 'sick' baby.
yeah, if i hadn't just given birth i would have brought that point up. it really makes no sense to me that the very connection that has been sustaining a baby since the begining would suddenly and magically become deadly to a child the minute they exit the mother's body.

but i do wonder, what was that doc at the birth of our dd talking about? anyone know why she would have thought that delayed clamping was soooo dangerous? personally, we're waiting until the cord stops pulsing to cut it with this babe, just like we wanted to do with dd.
#64 of 66 Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM

Some people in the medical profession believe that babies can actually have too much blood and be polycythemic (the opposite of anemic) if they get blood from the placenta until it stops pulsing. Babies do tend to have a lot of red blood cells (45% and more, compared to Mom's 30%) when the cord is clamped right away.

I don't have an opinion, but that may be why your doctor thought it was so dangerous...
#65 of 66 Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
when I was researching cutting the cord with my last hb, I had found that some people beleive that the placenta/cord could actually start taking blood back from the baby......
I don't think that is the case.....but I did read that. So maybe that is the drs thoughts
*shrugs*
#66 of 66 Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayogurtsmearedsari View Post
Of course not! I sometimes am not clear on how I word myself. I of course do not cut my children. Buddhists do not circumcise boys or girls. And yes, I breastfeed! "CLW" actually. I'll go add a note to that post...

ETA: I though I should be a little more clear about the Buddhist and not cutting. A Buddhist is sworn to Ahimsa, so, circumcision is an act of violence. Well, I know nothing of Zen Buddhism, though, I should point out.

Oh, and it's not just my choice. My husband is actually very hands off and natural. So for those reasons he would never circucise or etc. He's a complete "lactivist" too. Actually, he gets all the credit for our children not being vaccinated and such. I would have been esily convinced about the health benefits of them, but he is very anti-vaccinations. And now that I've learned more about them, I am so very thankful to his convictions. It's scary to think I could have allowed that stuff to have been put in my babies! I was upset about the shots hurting, but I had never thought of what was *in* them very deeply. With a third world background, you can easily fall into the trap of trusting all miracle vaccines.

Anyway, we were talking about placentas, right?

ETATA: I put the biggest no circ sign in my signature.
Whew! I'm so glad you cleared that up! I would've gone off on a tangent about the benefits of breast-feeding but I was so hung up on the circ issue. I'm happy someone else did that. In my defense I'm a huge lactivist too.

I LOVE your signature!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page