Let's Talk About NOT Cutting The Cord - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was a decision to ponder; but after awhile I chose to post in this forum because this discussion is one that may benefit all of us who are expecting a baby.

So, let's talk about NOT cutting the cord after the baby's birth (aka: Lotus Birth). Lotus Birth is the practice of leaving the cord/placenta attached until it dries and falls off (3-10 days). For those of you who don't know yet; there's a technique of salting it after 24 hours; wrapping the cord in silk or material and having a cloth (sometimes scented) bag to keep the rest of the placenta in.

I heard about this and have finally gotten around to doing some researching. As of yet, I've done little reading; but what I did read prompted some questions right away. I'd like to talk about it and get some imput.

This site has a pretty extensive write-up about Lotus Birth; and I was skimming through before I came to a screeching halt in the section that talks about harvesting cord blood. The practice of harvesting cord blood is what got me really wondering in the first place: If the blood is so beneficial to be harvested, might it be beneficial to the baby after birth?

According to the site...

Quote:
...'Banking' cord blood involves immediate, very early cord clamping to take a significant amount of blood (100mL on average) from the newborn...Cord blood banks receive from 80 ml to 180 ml of blood on the average amount of blood taken for CBC harvesting. The blood bank interests do acknowledge more blood is received if the cord is clamped "quickly", meaning in 30-seconds, or less...
So; the faster they clamp the cord; the more blood they get for harvesting. Which means that (logically speaking); the longer they wait, the more blood leaves the cord and ends up.... in the baby...? It appears so...

Quote:
...a 9-pound baby only creates 10 ounces of blood (300 ml). Therefore 180 ml is actually more than half this baby's blood supply...
That's alarming to me. Logically speaking; when the baby is in the womb; the cord is their means of nourishment and survival. His (/her) blood is travelling through the cord; gathering nutrients from the mother; and then travelling back to nourish the baby. That being said, the typical umbilical cord is 2-3 feet long...which is a lot of blood in baby terms (as the quote said, around half the blood)!!

So; if they gather more blood by clamping the cord quickly; then logically speaking, the longer the cord is left attached, the more blood ends up in the baby.

I just wanted to make a quick side note for those of you who don't have time to read the rest of the information on the site; because I think it's important to consider...

Quote:
...the neonate has a right to their own blood when they most need it: in the vulnerable hours and days of the first year of life, from which we measure infant mortality. Many well-intentioned parents-to-be, misled by aggressive banking business marketing, do not realize that the blood 'harvesting' creates an extreme systemic deprivation for their little one, as well as the shock and trauma that goes with it - because at birth, a child is considered anemic if deprived of even 20 to 50 percent of blood, and only 20 percent blood loss can cause shock....Other disorders associated with low blood volume are autism, cancers, brain tumors, leukemias, liver, kidney, holes in the heart, hormone deficiencies, imbalance of enzymes...
So; as a whole, the longer you leave the cord attached; the more blood end up in baby (I assume that as the cord dries out the blood is pushed into the baby); and the less likely the baby is to have any blood loss related problems.

Now, personally speaking - I'd rather not keep the cord attached until it falls off. It's considerably out of my comfort zone in terms of the bigger picture (ie: I'd worry that it would get pulled accidentally and hurt baby, etc). So, in wanting to find a 'happy medium' and do what's best for my baby; how long would be 'good enough'? I figure, based on the way I've interpreted the information from the site; and the logic I've put into it; even an hour or two can only do good; right? I mean, when you look at either keeping it attached for an extra hour, vs clamping and severing right away; out of the two the most logic for benefit goes to the leaving it alone option.

Your thoughts?

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#2 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 AM

I've always been very interested in Lotus Birth's and we will most likely be having one (assume everything goes well with the birth and I don't change my mind last minute or anything).

I've read into lots about lotus births and also eating the placenta, seeing if I can manage the best of both worlds, and in short, I don't think I can. Giving my baby its blood is more important than myself consuming it, so I came to that decision.

If you aren't comfortable with a lotus birth, why not just delay cord clamping until 24 hours PP. It is very easy to apply a clamp and cut the cord yourself after 24 hours or so. You get the assurance of your youngster getting ALL it's blood (assuming you know to keep the placenta above the babies heart) and you don't need to bother with the salting and wrapping of the cord (although, so so beautiful).

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#3 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperia View Post
...seeing if I can manage the best of both worlds, and in short, I don't think I can...
Well, you could; if you kept it attached for 24 hours like you suggested to me; THEN do your thing with the consuming the placenta. (Though, there might be something that you have to process it right away in order to be effective; I don't know much about this part).

Quote:
...assuming you know to keep the placenta above the babies heart...
No; I didn't know this. How am I supposed to do that when baby spends most of his time in a lying-down position?

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#4 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 01:05 AM

The placenta is raw meat. I wouldn't advise carrying it around at your side for 24 hours and then eating it.
#5 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 AM

Wow! What a great link and convo. A friend just asked me my thoughts on cord blood harvesting, and I could only get philosophical on him; I hadn't heard or read anything scientific about it.

I'm not exactly in the planning stages yet, but I would love to do a "modified" Lotus birth as mentioned above, perhaps waiting a few hours to a day.
#6 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
The placenta is raw meat. I wouldn't advise carrying it around at your side for 24 hours and then eating it.
Ah yes; that makes sense. I eat my words. : In my defense; I just applied a bunch of logic to a 'new' subject to me. There's only so much my pregnant brain can handle before it goes into self-destruct mode.

#7 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 01:57 AM

i was under the impression that the baby received all the blood that they would ever receive once the cord was white and limp, within an hour after birth.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#8 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
...baby received all the blood that they would ever receive once the cord was white and limp, within an hour after birth...
I wasn't sure about this; so I went looking for the answer. Most of my search results turned up information on banking cord blood but I did eventually find this site which has a bunch of useful and interesting information on it. You'll have to read the rest yourself because I'm super tired and want to sleep; but here's a bit of information off the site; and the part of it that relates to what 'deserpenguin' said is at the bottom near the bolded section (starting at ''Gravity will also...'')...

Quote:
...There are many reasons why it is beneficial to leave the cord unclamped and uncut until the placenta has birthed. The main reason being that at the moment of birth, the placenta holds a portion of the baby's blood in reserve. Nature designed an amazing system for ensuring a smooth transition from life inside the uterus to the outside world where the new baby needs to breathe on its own. The blood passing between the baby and the placenta carries oxygen to the newborn, possibly even after the placenta has detached and delivered. Thus the natural process protects the brain by providing a continuous oxygen supply from two sources until the second source is functioning well.

While in the uterus, the placenta does the job of lungs, kidney, gut and liver for the baby. Because the baby's organs are not really needed, blood flow to them is minimal until the baby takes its first breath at delivery triggering huge changes in the organisation of the circulatory system. Once the baby is born blood is diverted away from the umbilical cord and placenta and as the lungs fill with air, blood is sucked into the lung circulation. The placenta and cord contain the additional blood necessary for the extra blood needed to supply the lungs, kidneys, gut and liver which had previously not needed a blood supply of it's own. If the baby has to use its own blood supply for these organs it suffers a massive drop in blood volume of anywhere from 1/3rd to ½ of its blood volume.

The transfer of the blood from the placenta to the baby happens during the contractions of third stage, with blood is being pushed into the baby with each contraction, and some blood is returning to the placenta between contractions. It is thought that the baby may be able to regulate the transfusion of the blood depending on its individual need by crying which causes constriction of the blood vessels in the cord which slows the intake of blood.

Gravity will also affect the transfer of blood from the placenta to the baby's circulation, so it is ideal to have the baby remain at or below the level of the uterus until the cord stops pulsing. This process of "physiological clamping" can take between 1 and 3 minutes.

You will know that natural cord clamping has occurred when:

There are no pulsations in the cord. This tells you that the arteries are closed.

The baby is breathing and is pink. This tells up that the heart and lungs are working.

There is no blood in the cord . This tells us that the transfer of blood from the placenta to the baby is complete....

#9 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 AM

I read on the WHO site that the cord has it's own on/off valve and after a certain amount of time after birth (usually about 30 minutes) the valves shuts off in the cord. That is when you will see it not pulsing anymore.

I can never find the information twice on the WHO site, I should probably book mark them. You definitely do not have to do a lotus birth for the entire blood supply to reach the newborn though. I left the cord attached to both of my babies for about 20 minutes, the cord had stopped pulsing at that point.
#10 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
So; the faster they clamp the cord; the more blood they get for harvesting. Which means that (logically speaking); the longer they wait, the more blood leaves the cord and ends up.... in the baby...? It appears so...
I'm not sure that actually logically follows. The blood in the cord/placenta doesn't necessarily continue to circulate after birth. The mother is no longer there to fuel the mechanism. The baby eats differently now.

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#11 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Seems like I also remember hearing that the cord blood VERY rarely is used for the child is was collected from. It's more beneficial to a sibling or someone in need of a donor. I'll look for the links.....

The whole cord blood banking thing sounds more like a scam to me. The cost is astronomical. See http://www.viacord.com/pricing-storage-plans.htm and it's not even guaranteed to "fix" the conditions it's being stored for. http://www.viacord.com/stem-cell-expansion.htm

I got kind of off topic on that, sorry.

I wonder what the likelihood of keeping the cord attached longer is if the baby is delivered via c-section. I might ask my dr about that tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Blu!!
#12 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 AM

I'm not into Lotus Birth, but choose to wait until the chord stops pulsating before cutting it. That's pretty standard for hb.

In a hospital, I would put it in a birth plan and then make sure you have someone specifically reminding your caregiver not to cut the chord right away.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#13 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM

No; I didn't know this. How am I supposed to do that when baby spends most of his time in a lying-down position? [/QUOTE]

By keeping the placenta on babies tummy while laying down (wrapped up in a nice soft cloth diaper). Most important obviously within the first hours, and after that point I wouldn't trouble yourself over it. I've seen photos with the placenta swong over moms shoulder for a diaper change (long cord).

As for complete and total blood to the baby, that is cord clamping DELAYING. Lotus birth isn't just about the blood aspect. To me, lotus birth is giving the baby a gentle entry into the world and allowing him/her to let go of the cord/placenta when they are ready, seeing as they are from the first cells devided it seems only fair. Some go as far to say that cutting the cord hurts the infant, and that isn't something I would like to try out, when leaving it alone is a simple solution.
I guess lotus birth can be looked at as similar to child lead weaning, it is theres to choose when to stop and it should be peaceful and safe to let that comfort go.

Great topic, I love chatting about lotus birth.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#14 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 AM

But the cord is not a one way street. As blood enters the baby doesn't "used" blood also leave the baby? Of course this is "used" blood so it still seems better to keep the cord attached for longer to get the oxegen rich blood to the baby. Just something I was thinking.

Sarah
#15 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 11:55 AM

Hesperia is right - delayed cord claming and lotus birth are really two separate conversations. I think most people who are supportive of natural birth and especially homebirth do not advocate immediate clamping and cutting of the cord unless there is an emergent medical reason to do so.

i strongly considered doing a lotus birth. in the end, though, the logistics hung me up. with two other small children and with DH and my mom only able to be here to help for a couple of days before needing to return to work, i just didn't want to add another level of complexity to my need for being mobile and caring for my other kids.

so what we chose to do instead was to allow a few hours to pass after the birth before we dealt with the cord, and then rather than abruptly cutting it, we used candles to slowly and gently burn through the cord while the baby nursed. my m/w observed this practice when she was overseas volunteering after the tsunami, and burning the cord was being used as a way to prevent infection since it cauterizes the cord rather than leaving a raw opening that can invite bacteria. a m/w she met there gave her a special box you use to lay the cord over and which catches the wax. it was quite a gentle and lovely ritual, and the first time one of my children has been separated from his/her placenta without crying (we have always delayed the clamping/cutting for at least 30 minutes, until the cord was no longer pulsing and it was clear the blood transfer for complete).
#16 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 PM

Lotus birth is a beautiful thing. There is little reason for everyone not to try it, because you CAN change your mind. You'll most likely discover that it is easy. A placenta treated with salt and herbs shrinks and dries quickly, it is not unpleasant to smell, it is not actually difficult to handle with your baby, because it is in a little cloth sack that lies on the baby. You'll find it beautiful, calming, and suprisingly easy. BUT if you DO find it still out of your realm, then you simply break off/cut the cord. It is a simple thing to change your mind on, there is "going back" when it comes to this. However, if you cut the cord first, you have cut your options. Leaving it intact allows you to still make a choice in 24 hours, 48 hours, 4 days, etc. Go for it.
#17 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 PM

The thing about this discussion that leaves me wondering is this...both of my children had jaundice. Jaundice develops from the body breaking down the extra red blood cells needed for oxygen transport in the uterus. Once the baby is breathing room air (instead of depending on mom's arterial blood supply for oxygen) their livers start breaking down the extra unneeded cells, which results in bilirubin circulating in the blood. The baby needs to eat and poop to get rid of this.

Susan Weed in "The Childbearing Year" says to cut the cord "as soon as convenient" to prevent jaundice.

Also, physiologically, a little bit of crying is good for the baby, it clears the lungs and helps close the foramen ovale and ductus arteriosis in the heart (switching from fetal circulation to "adult" circulation).

We worried about the little bit of jaundice our older children had, it makes them sleepy and not want to nurse, and then get dehydrated.

Also, in c-section birth I do not believe it is possible to leave the placenta attached. The baby must be moved out of the way for the surgeon to get in to extract the placenta, and the baby must be warmed right away to prevent hypothermia. Surgical suites are kept quite cold, and holding the baby near mom while the surgeon does his/her work would not be good for the baby.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#18 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 02:48 PM

I never was shown the placenta and I always wanted to, this time around I'm going to be firm that the cord will not be cut until it has quit pulsating. It seems once your in the hospital you really have to be clear on what you want, otherwise they just take it upon themselves to cut and clamp right away.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#19 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
No; I didn't know this. How am I supposed to do that when baby spends most of his time in a lying-down position?
?? Wouldn't you just put the placenta on a higher surface? Like a pile of pillows?
#20 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossimo12 View Post
But the cord is not a one way street. As blood enters the baby doesn't "used" blood also leave the baby?
I thought the return path closed off first?
#21 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post
The thing about this discussion that leaves me wondering is this...both of my children had jaundice. Jaundice develops from the body breaking down the extra red blood cells needed for oxygen transport in the uterus. Once the baby is breathing room air (instead of depending on mom's arterial blood supply for oxygen) their livers start breaking down the extra unneeded cells, which results in bilirubin circulating in the blood. The baby needs to eat and poop to get rid of this.

Susan Weed in "The Childbearing Year" says to cut the cord "as soon as convenient" to prevent jaundice.

Also, physiologically, a little bit of crying is good for the baby, it clears the lungs and helps close the foramen ovale and ductus arteriosis in the heart (switching from fetal circulation to "adult" circulation).

We worried about the little bit of jaundice our older children had, it makes them sleepy and not want to nurse, and then get dehydrated.

Also, in c-section birth I do not believe it is possible to leave the placenta attached. The baby must be moved out of the way for the surgeon to get in to extract the placenta, and the baby must be warmed right away to prevent hypothermia. Surgical suites are kept quite cold, and holding the baby near mom while the surgeon does his/her work would not be good for the baby.

Jaundice is a condition that every newborn goes through in some varying degree, from so slight that it isn't even noticed, to very severe and treatement is needed.

The only thing to beware of as far as cord blood and jaundice is milking the cord. No one should squeeze or slide their hands down the cord as this can give the baby a huge excess of red blood cells. If you allow the cord to clamp naturally this will not happen.

And as for the crying is good for the baby thing, what about the babies who are born gently and simply do not cry?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#22 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
I wonder how long it would be safe to leave the placenta attached with the intention of consuming it after cord cutting? 20 minutes? An hour? 3 hours?

I am firmly committed to the idea of placentaphagia for my next birth, but also would like to consider leaving the placenta attached for a little longer than last time (which was about 5 minutes, when the cord stopped pulsing).

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#23 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidaShara View Post
...The blood in the cord/placenta doesn't necessarily continue to circulate after birth. The mother is no longer there to fuel the mechanism...
Well; exactly. The blood would no longer be circulating; but 'draining' back into the baby where it belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy_mom View Post
...I wonder what the likelihood of keeping the cord attached longer is if the baby is delivered via c-section...
I can't remember which site; but according to at least one of the two sites I linked to in my previous posts; keeping the cord attached after a c-section is possible; you just have to let the doctors know your wishes before hand.

Quote:
...As for complete and total blood to the baby, that is cord clamping DELAYING. Lotus birth isn't just about the blood aspect...
You're right about that. I just didn't realize there was a separate term for it. I talked to the midwife about delayed clamping and she explained that the cord cuts off the supply naturally (which is when the pulsing stops); and then you cut the cord; and she called it 'delayed cord clamping'. This is what I want to do. She also told me that I don't need any special permissions from the hospital for this; but if I wanted to do a Lotus Birth; I'd need permission to do that.

Thanks 'ayogurtsmearedsari' for your thoughts. You're right about being able to change your mind if the lotus birth thing doesn't seem to be working out; and there really isn't any reason (besides my own gross-out factor) to try Lotus Birth. I'm not quite sure if I could handle seeing the placenta for that long though...I'm going to have to play that out in the moment. I guess I could always have a permission request note typed up to bring to the hospital; or get permission just in case.

Quote:
...Also, physiologically, a little bit of crying is good for the baby, it clears the lungs and helps close the foramen ovale and ductus arteriosis in the heart...
As for the first part of your post wondering about jaundice (which was also addressed by lil_earthmomma); the risk of serious jaundice requiring medical help is such a small risk; vs the side effects of baby going without their needed blood! As it was also mentioned; you shouldn't squeeze the blood out of the cord; but rather let it do it's thing the way nature intended for it to happen.

But as for the crying being good for the baby part; I'm pretty sure that's "old school thinking" and I can't find anything to back that up. COUGHING clears the lungs; crying is just a harder version of breathing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
...I wonder how long it would be safe to leave the placenta attached with the intention of consuming it after cord cutting? 20 minutes? An hour? 3 hours?...
If I had to guess based on meat I'd get from the grocery store; I'd be ok with about a half hour; which would be enough time to allow the benefits of delayed cord clamping; and prepare it for consumption. But you should probably post a new thread about this. I don't know much about consuming the placenta because just the thought of it grosses me out a lot; so I never worked my way to learning about it. Good luck to you, though.

#24 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM

subbing so i can come read this great thread later
#25 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
This is an oversimplification of the whole physiological process, but at 37.5 weeks pregnant with 2 other little ones I'm too tired to look up the articles that show that jaundice is no more likely to occur (especially assuming no injected oxytocin into mom and no Vit K), and that it is, in fact, more likely to prevent anemia in the 2 to 6 month old if left alone.

We tried for a lotus birth with #2, but I got annoyed with the cord after about 2 hours, so we cut.
This time, we will again proceed as though a lotus birth will happen (I am more prepared this time, practically speaking, with flannel blankets to wrap it in and am about to sew a bag to keep it in, which is how I came across this thread via google looking for a pattern , and I will have a jar containing sea salt and lavender in with the other birth supplies . . . last time I figured I'd just let it sit in a bowl, but that really was never going to work out), but we also have purchased cord clamps and will pre-sterilize a pair of kitchen shears just in case.
#26 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
so what we chose to do instead was to allow a few hours to pass after the birth before we dealt with the cord, and then rather than abruptly cutting it, we used candles to slowly and gently burn through the cord while the baby nursed.
this is what i am planning on doing. from what i have read, it used to be practiced in Chinese medicine quite frequently, as a way of returning 'heat' to the infant.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#27 of 66 Old 05-05-2008, 07:46 PM

^ Just out of curiosity, why would you want to slowly allow the cord to come away (I get the gentle birth thing so please expand on that). Just asking because it doesn't seem that the cord actually has nerve endings or anything that would cause the baby any pain when it is cut.
#28 of 66 Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
^ Just out of curiosity, why would you want to slowly allow the cord to come away (I get the gentle birth thing so please expand on that). Just asking because it doesn't seem that the cord actually has nerve endings or anything that would cause the baby any pain when it is cut.
Oh! It's not a "pain" thing. It's a violence issue. It seems that infants truly do understand their placenta and their bond to it. It's like a security blanket. It's been their contact and comfort. They touch and handle the cord, they can feel the soft "pillow" that is the placenta. It's their security blanket. So first, there is the birth, traumatic. No question, a HUGE transition. And then you cut away their last contact. Yes, the baby knows our voice, yes nursing is a wonderful comfort. But if you take notice, a baby *knows* when the cord is cut, and it jerks, and sometimes even begins to fuss then. And the flip side is the *know* when the placenta is still with them. They hold it out of the womb, even though it's in a sack. They know if it's not lying right next to them. But when the cord comes away naturally, you notice the infant is emotionally ready to part with it too. It's a transitional thing. And for people spiritual like me. To me, it's all part of feeding the soul, and helping your child come into this world with minimal shock and harshness.

Healthy. I've found that most things that stem from spirituality for me, are healthy. Circumcision for example. I simply find it to be violent. But now science says it's healthy too. I find formula violent to the dairy cows, who are horribly misused. But it is healthier too after all. I think cord cutting although, not anywhere near as violent as circumcision, is still a very rough and harsh act. I would not be suprised to hear some day that lotus birth babies did recieve some health benefits as a result of their strange parents choices! ETA: Meaning I do NOT circumcise or formula feed. Sorry, I'm not always clear in my sentence structure.

You have to see it. It may sound like mumbo jumbo, I understand that. I am an intellectual person, yes it sounds far-fetched, strange, etc. I get that. But if you just *see* it. If you experience a lotus birth, you see for yourself what words cannot seem to relay. They do know, they really do. And it is more peaceful and non-violent. You'll see that that cord and placenta have more of an essence than you had ever realized. That's why I encourage everyone to at least try it. You can always change your mind. A cord can always be cut later. It's not an either/or.
#29 of 66 Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayogurtsmearedsari View Post
Oh! It's not a "pain" thing. It's a violence issue. It seems that infants truly do understand their placenta and their bond to it. It's like a security blanket. It's been their contact and comfort. They touch and handle the cord, they can feel the soft "pillow" that is the placenta. It's their security blanket. So first, there is the birth, traumatic. No question, a HUGE transition. And then you cut away their last contact. Yes, the baby knows our voice, yes nursing is a wonderful comfort. But if you take notice, a baby *knows* when the cord is cut, and it jerks, and sometimes even begins to fuss then. And the flip side is the *know* when the placenta is still with them. They hold it out of the womb, even though it's in a sack. They know if it's not lying right next to them. But when the cord comes away naturally, you notice the infant is emotionally ready to part with it too. It's a transitional thing. And for people spiritual like me. To me, it's all part of feeding the soul, and helping your child come into this world with minimal shock and harshness.

:

#30 of 66 Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the explanation

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page