Blessingway? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
I'm Pregnant > Blessingway?
zinemama's Avatar zinemama 12:40 PM 05-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I think that the term "Blessingway" is just a word...it is the actual ceremony that holds the meaning....just like you can tell someone you love them all day long but it doesn't mean anything unless you follow it with some kind of action.
Although I totally agree with mamavegan about the turn this thread has taken, I must disagree here.

Saying that "blessingway" is just a word is like saying "bar mitzvah" is just a word. Doesn't make sense. My sons will be having bar mitzvahs in a few years. Would I be ok with you (assuming you're not Jewish) having a party when your son turns 13 and calling it a bar mitzvah? Do you see how silly that is? And more importantly, how dismissive of what an *actual* bar mitzvah is? Please rethink your words.

OP, I hope the mother blessing you give turns out well. They can be very meaningful events.

autumnbloom's Avatar autumnbloom 02:32 PM 05-29-2008
First - an apology to the OP for going off to original topic, especially since its something I'm really interested in, and I really do want you to get some good answers to your questions... I'll try to contribute some ideas soon as well so that I can at least be giving something back to the "real" purpose of this thread. I am going to post my response to the Blessingway stuff over on the Blessingway Thread. HERE is a link to my post in response to what I read on this thread. Now on to the topic at hand....

For a mama blessing / blessingway ceremony, I would suggest maybe having it in a natural location, like outdoors at a beautiful park, or in the woods, or by a body of water. Fresh air would lend such a beautiful scene to the whole experience I think

If you do decide to call it a blessingway, it might be good to share information with everyone about what that means, and where it was adapted from, to help spread awareness about the Dine (Navajo) culture. Perhaps rather than gifts for the mama, you could ask attendees to bring a small something to send to an organization that helps the Navajo culture. Here are some good ones:

Navajo Charities Guide

Here's another one that I have thought about donating to as well:

Salt Lake Weaver's Store
1227 East 3300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
+1 (801) 486 1610
+1 (800) 363 5585
The Adopt-A-Native-Elder program assists Navajo elders with food, medicine, and clothes to help meet basic needs. In support of this program, the store accepts donations of handknit socks for the elders. The socks aree personally delivered to the elders during the twice-yearly food run to the reservation. The address of the Adopt-A-Native-Elder program is ANE, P.O. Box 3401, Park City, UT 84060. They send out a multi-page newsletter several times a year. You can get a copy by asking (enclosing $1 would be nice) or a year's subscription by sending $5. Winters are cold on the Navajo reservation and warm snuggly socks will be most welcome to the elders. Socks for fall delivery are needed at the store by September 1 (for spring by April 1).

Yarn
Choose easy care wool or wool blends for warmth and ease of care under diverse conditions which may include no running water or the town laundromat. Two good ones are Shetland Tweed (this is sport weight yarn) and Lane Borgosesia by Knitaly (worsted weight). Handspun is welcome too.
Color
Anything goes! Cheerful socks perk up a cold winter day.
Design
Tall socks that cover much of the leg are warmer. The more of the sock that has ribbing, the wider the range of feet the sock will fit (K2/P2 is stretchiest). Use your favorite pattern or method, or try something new.)
Size
Elders' shoe sizes range from 5 to 9, so any woman's size sock will probably fit someone. Foot length (from back of heel to tip of toe) shouldbe approximately 8-1/2" to 10-1/2". Make the size you usually knit, pick one from a pattern, use the quantity of yarn you have, or use your own foot for a model.
Finishing
Wash your socks when completed. This will both make them look nice and avoid any surprises like dye that runs or wool that shrinks!
Labels
Use a large safety pin or contrasting yarn loop to attach socks together along with the following:

* Washing instructions if not machine washable
* Yarn label if commercial yarn was used
* A personal note from you, if desired. Enclosing an SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) enables the elder to respond through a relative or visitor who writes English (no guarantee but the elders often do this).

Your gift of handknit socks is more than a physical object but a gift of love, time, and warmth that will please an elderly person.

ColoradoMama's Avatar ColoradoMama 02:28 AM 05-30-2008
Thanks for the links bellymama.
SkyMomma's Avatar SkyMomma 11:08 AM 05-30-2008
Hi Sadie-
I organized a Mama Blessing for a friend a year or so ago. Here's some of the parts that felt extra special:
~ No gifts, but everyone brought food for her freezer/pantry (she was 2 wks away from EDD)
~ We mixed our own Henna (some kits contain toxic ingrediants to deepen color, etc) & Henna'd blessing symbols on her hands & belly. It was really fun hennaing (sp) her hands because then she couldn't do anything for herself! We hand fed her ripe fruit & delicious homemade bread, it was wonderful.
~ Gave her a foot bath with special oils/herbs
~ Mixed special oils for strength, calm, etc. (Careful of oils, some are contraindicated at different stages of pregnancy)
~ Each woman took a turn to give her a personal blessing, annointing her with appropriate oils, etc. Some of those blessings included a song written just for her, objects for her birth altar, poems, a dance, flowers, etc.
~ At the end we all stood in a circle around her holding a red string. After a final blessing & promise to hold her and her baby in our hearts during this journey, we cut the string & tied a piece around each woman wrist. We wore the string until after the baby was born to keep the connection of the blessing with us though her birth.
Good luck with everything! Blessed be.
ElektrykEye's Avatar ElektrykEye 11:31 AM 05-30-2008
It's really rude for some of you to come to another person's thread and hijack it. You've made your point on your own thread... why do you have to derail another person's?

Sadie, I've never been to a Blessingway (never even heard of it actually) so I have no advice... sorry. I just wanted to say how rude I thought it was for certain people to have come with the sole purpose of protesting. Whatever happened to 'live and let live'?
bellymama's Avatar bellymama 01:36 PM 05-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektrykEye View Post
It's really rude for some of you to come to another person's thread and hijack it. You've made your point on your own thread... why do you have to derail another person's?

Sadie, I've never been to a Blessingway (never even heard of it actually) so I have no advice... sorry. I just wanted to say how rude I thought it was for certain people to have come with the sole purpose of protesting. Whatever happened to 'live and let live'?
it's not rude to provide information regarding her OP, which was about Blessingways. i am not going to NOT share information about Blessingways just because you don't want to hear about it.
triana1326's Avatar triana1326 02:58 PM 05-30-2008
My best friend's throwing me a Mother's Blessing later this summer. The only things I know that are happening are below:

Bellydancing lesson - my old english prof. from college teaches bellydancing and I took one of her classes. My friend has hired her to do a group lesson for the gathering.

Henna Painting - The bellydancing teacher is friends with a henna artist, who will be coming for a few hours to do henna art for every person.

Labor Beads Necklace - My friend is asking that everyone coming bring a special bead to string into a necklace. I'll be combining these beads with the ones I receive from my DDC bead swappers.

Lots of yummy vegetarian food and drinks - One of my other friends is a chef, and will be contributing to the festivities with some culinary delights and alcohol-free drinks like daquiris and margaritas...

all the rest of the activities are being kept secret - and I'm SUPER excited!!!!
1  2

Up