Failed 1 hr glucose test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, at the last minute I decided to do the 1 hour glucose test. I just received a message from my midwife saying that my numbers were slightly high and that the next step would be the 3-hour one.
I haven't been eating very much sugar this pregnancy, nor have I been eating many carbs - especially not high GI ones.
Does anyone know if that would increase my chances for failing the 1-hour?

What can I do to increase my chances of "passing" the 3-hour?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
What can I do to increase my chances of "passing" the 3-hour?
I am not sure whether or not a low-card, low-GI diet would make you more likely to "fail" the 1-hour GTT, though I can see how it might. Your pancreas might be able to handle a very rapid, very intense rise in blood sugar if it's not used to doing so.

To increase your chances of "passing" the 3-hour GTT, I suggest:
- Exercise. Getting as little as 30 minutes of exercise per day can increase blood sugar control.
- Eat some extra carbs in the coming days to "prime" your pancreas to handle the incoming sugar load.
#3 of 5 Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM

mamatotwo that's good advice. I don't eat artificial sugar or many carbs either and I failed both the one hour and three hour test. I have never felt as sick as I did when I took the three hour test.

I tested my blood sugars every day through both my pregnancies and I never had a reading that high except for it I drank something with high fructose corn syrup in it and even at that it was still with in the range of normal.

I agree that if you ramp up your sugar and carb and get your body used to it you would have a better chance of passing the test. Honestly it's a label you don't want and if you can avoid it, I sure would.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#4 of 5 Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 PM

So that's why I was eating nothing but ice cream and pancakes for the first half of this pregnancy - I was just "prepping" my body for the glucose test! Then I'm sure to pass...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#5 of 5 Old 05-16-2008, 02:34 PM

Just thought I'd share that I just went through this. I spilled sugar into my urine and my midwives scared me about the possibility of GD. So I went for the 1-hour test and failed.... I knew I would fail that one. I don't eat a whole lot of sugar normally so I'm sure my body gets confused with it and takes longer to figure out what to do with it. I didn't fail by much - only 7 points. So I figured I would pass the 3-hour and I did, with flying colors! Hope you have the same experience! I made sure not to eat any sugar in the week between the two tests, btw.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page