Mothering Forum banner

pregnant with a yeast infection...questions

773 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jumpincholla 
#1 ·
alrighty.
so i found out that i was pregnant with our second baby a little over a month ago. i havent been to the ob/gyn yet because we dont have insurance and i am waiting to see if my medicaid application clears. i should find out soon. i already know what ob/gyn i want to go to and they have a really awesome midwife that i have read very good things about on here. since i am not a patient yet i cant call and ask questions,so i thought i'd ask here. i am pretty sure that i have a yeast infection now. i remember getting one a few times with my first pregnancy,and my ob/gyn would always tell me to get monistat. i reaaaallly do not want to go that route this time. i have been eating plain yogurt and drinking water and plain cranberry juice with grapefruit seed extract and inserting plain yogurt into my vagina. i also soaked in an apple cider vinigar bath for 20 mins the other night. i still itch like crazy though. its been like this for a few days now,at first i had some chunky white dishcharge,and it has gone away now. any discharge i have now has been light yellow and mucus-like. i think what i am doing might be helping,but i am not sure. i know it takes time to wipe it out. today at whole foods i saw a product by boiron called yeast away. it says that of you are pregnant to ask a dr. first before you use it. has anyone here used it while pregnant and has it helped you? also,i have read about using boric acid suppositories and them working really well. is this safe while pregnant though? any info would be GREATLY appreciated! thank you so much!

See less See more
#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pantufla View Post
have you considered that you might not have a yeast infection? bacterial vaginosis can cause itching and discharge as well.
Doesn't the discharge smell bad with bacterial vaginosis? kind of fishy or something? And the discharge is a diffrent, greenish color?

I've been fighting yeast this whole pregnancy (
). One thing that helped was using pb8's (pro-biotic capsules), in place of yogurt. it seemed to neutralize the yeast effectively for several days. hth

#6 ·
it doesnt smell fishy and it isnt green. its not very cottage cheese like anymore either. its either clearish white (which i think is some of the yogurt mixed with my own fluids leaking out) or slightyly yellow. and it smells like yogurt,haha...cause i've been trying to keep some up there pretty frequently.
thank you for all the replies!

also..i've read on here that mixing warm water and a couple of tbs of hydrogen peroxide in a spritz bottle and spraying it all over your area is good for bv....is that affective for killing yeast as well?

#7 ·
I always use garlic and it works better and faster than any medication. You just put one or two garlic cloves (peeled but not cut as they might burn if they are cut) in your vagina and leave them overnight or during the day. The yeast infection should be gone in 2-3 days.

#8 ·
I don't think you are supposed to use boric acid for yeast infections while pregnant. When I was pregnant with my dd I had a horrible yeast infection. I tried every kind of natural remedy and nothing worked. After four months of torture I resorted to Monistat and it cleared it up like a charm. Now I'm all for natural remedies and trying to stay away from the heavy stuff whenever possible...but in some cases it's just not worth it. So...I would say try the natural stuff, but if it's not working don't beat yourself up for using the Monistat. It's not the end of the world and it's soooooooooo much better than walking around with a yeast infection for months. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.